Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dan's Turbo SE - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dan's Turbo SE

Hi all

I just acquired a 1990 Turbo Esprit SE.  It has a radio but even though I can turn it on, it's very staticy (not sure that's a word but you know what I mean).  When I turn it on the antenna goes up and when I turn it off it goes down.  I have several service books that came with the car, but I cannot find anything on removing/replacing the radio.  If any of you know how please let me know.

Yours in the Sport

Dan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I know what you mean. ☺️

Grounds are very important. A friend's S4s had a professionally-installed sound system that sounded like a motorboat.  Turned out the shop tried to 'ground' it via the foil on the bulkhead!🥶

Often, what is needed on fiberglass autos are bespoke ground wires, as well as power connections.

Our Esprit has always had an aftermarket single-DIN radio, also installed by an auto audio store.  This also had bodged wiring. 

To address your specific question:

To remove the head units, both our Sony and Panasonic had plastic surround frames that needed to be snapped off, then releases could be inserted into the sides of the retaining framework to release the catches. Some releases look like wires, others like plates or 1" putty knives.

To be sure, look for a brand identifier on yours, and Google the instruction manual. I just had to do that to figure out the controls on our newly-acquired Elise.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

The radio is an Eclipse CD5423.  I did find it online but when I tried to download the manual it would only let me download the first few pages then it stops.  (I don't know if I did the picture correctly)

image.thumb.jpeg.5dbd3b1a4f759ef5c64bbcbe7d4a8963.jpeg

Thank you for your response.  I will try your suggestion.

The pic is fine.☺️  And helpful.

I found the complete manual by Googling for Eclipse CD5423 manual PDF 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjKqrnD_7z7AhV_j4kEHYARBEAQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eclipse-web.com%2Fus%2Fdownload%2Fmanual%2Fmanual%2Fpdf%2FCD5423(1-1440A).pdf&usg=AOvVaw1BU5s2YjE0NM6ezMY3RVJi

there are a few other aftermarket sources if that doesn't work.

Installation instructions start on page 88 of 96. If you can't access, DM me I'll provide screenshots.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Thank you!!  I was not able to find this one, the ones I found only let me open about 8 pages and would not show me anymore.  I bought the car out of Province so it's in the shop getting certified for BC so I can license it here.  When I get it back, I will try grounding it and with the manual I will be able to see where the CD slot is.  I'm hoping I don't need a key CD as I don't have one.  There is an address and phone number on the last page if I need to contact them.  I'll let you know how a make out.

Thanks again

Dan

Welcome to the community Dan! Glad to read you got the car and look forward greatly to chatting once you've spent time at the wheel.

You know as well as anyone the music in these does not arise from the radio! 😉

While I'm waiting for my car, I'm spending way too much time on the net finding all kinds of things I may or may not need.  The question this time is a turbo timer.  

1) Should I have one?

2) do any of you have one?

3) if you do, can you recommend one?

I don't know if I've done this right, this is another question on My Turbo Esprit.

If your car has a water cooled turbo, you can probably skip the timer. They had their day when the oil in un-cooled center sections could overheat and coke up the bearing in the center section, but later cars got coolant to the turbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  Yes, it is a water-cooled turbo.  So, I will pass on the turbo timer.  I get my car back Tuesday from the shop that did the provincial certification, looking forward to it.  Only problem is, we got 20cm of snow two days ago, so I still can't drive it.

• Sad 1

OK, more stuff on my 1990 turbo Esprit SE.  I'm waiting for some decent weather so I can take all the pictures of it to apply for Collector plates.  Mean while I found some thing that I have no idea what it's for.  It's on the left side of the rear trunk.  The tube you see is now connected to the “vent” pipe on this tank.

image.jpeg

Looks like your coolant recovery tank, bottom hose goes to cooling system header tank, top probably a vent out the trunk floor for if it overflows.

• Like 1

You are missing a right angle connector, which is made from the same rapidly-deteriorating vinyl as as the hose  on the right. 🤥  Sheet 46.01A of the parts list.  #135

SJ prob has them, we got ours from JAE in the USA.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

OK, so this tank is for the engine coolant and not the charge coolant.  As the there are two systems, one engine and one for the charge cooler there must be a second tank.  With all the Christmas madness I have not had a chance to look for it. 

• 3 weeks later...

The early Chargecooled cars have a twin header tank.  Large tank for the engine, small for the Chargecooler. 

That overflow/expansion tank in the left-rear probably is for both tanks.  

The later cars & V8s had a single, plastic header tank for both the chargecooler and engine.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

15 hours ago, CarBuff said:

That overflow/expansion tank in the left-rear probably is for both tanks.  

The overflowtank/expansion tank in the left rear is ONLY for the Engine coolant circuit.

Esprit Freak

I don't have a chargecooled car with twin header tanks in front of me,  but they are not connected in any way?  The later cars with the plastic tanks are shared.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA