Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alpine INE-W920R Upgrade - Apple CarPlay - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Alpine INE-W920R Upgrade - Apple CarPlay

Go to solution Solved by Harey,

Hi,

I’ve had the Alpine INE-W920R double din Headunit for a while. However I miss Apple CarPlay, preferably wireless. 

Can anyone recommend a new Headunit as a direct replacement?

Thanks

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

depends what unit you have in there now, but basically you will need to modify / make the short harness from the new alpine to the car loom. 

i bought the car side plugs/pins but you could cut the headunit plug off the old adaptor loom and join it to the one supplied with the alpine, 

let me know if you are not sure, i can help out, either a diagram, or if you are really stuck i think i have a spare pins/plugs set somewhere

I think in that case, there are 2 options, 

1. you can buy a short adaptor to connect the yellow phono plug into the ILX-705D, or

2. you can do what i did, which is take out the rear quarter trim, remove the reverse camera control box, and extend that wiring to the head unit directly, you need to do this option if you are changing the rear camera to one of the new multi view cameras. 

to connect the head unit to the car, the easiest way is to unplug the short ~8" loom which goes from the main car loom to the current alpine 920. 
cut off the W920R plug and join the cables to the plug/wires that come with the ILX705D,
if you're not sure what goes where, i can help you figure it out, 

Apologies for the slight thread drift. Re the reverse camera control box. Is it needed for the oem camera?
Grog, I have a Pioneer head unit and connected the oem camera via the control box. Can I ditch the control box now I have removed the oem head unit?

Hi Bruss.

The control box basically just takes 12v and supplies the camera 5v then takes the camera feed and outputs it on the 5/6 pin connector.

If the pioneer has a power feed for reversing cameras you can take the box out, otherwise you'll need it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, grog said:

to connect the head unit to the car, the easiest way is to unplug the short ~8" loom which goes from the main car loom to the current alpine 920. 
cut off the W920R plug and join the cables to the plug/wires that come with the ILX705D,
if you're not sure what goes where, i can help you figure it out, 

I think the car to head unit loom will be the same for the 920 and the 705D, so it should just plug straight in. It worked fine for me going from the factory 990, and the 920 is a newer model. 

It also looks like the 920 uses a loom for the reversing camera as well, so if the reversing camera works already, you may not need anything extra...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
On 18/02/2023 at 00:26, grog said:

I believe this should do the job 

One end goes into the white multipin on the new headunit  the yellow end connects to the yellow phono cable in the dash.

https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/alpine-reverse-camera-rca-adaptor

This one worked for me too 🙂

My Lotus History - 1998 Elise S1 (sold) - 1993 Esprit S4 (sold) - 2004 Elise S2 111S (sold) - 1995 M100 Elan S2 (sold) - 2014 Evora S IPS Sports Racer (sold) - 2023 Emira i4 First Edition V6 Auto (Touring Chassis, Hethel Yellow, Full Black Pack, Black Alcantara /Yellow Stitch interior and Steering Wheel, Yellow Calipers, Privacy Glass, Tracker)

• Solution

Unit all now successfully fitted. 

I went for the Focal speakers in the end, as an upgrade, but at a slightly cheaper price than the Morel.  Also changed the start screen to a nice modern current Lotus logo, so looks very OEM.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

• Like 2

I went for the Focal 165 AS model, which are fair better than the stock units and a 1/3 of the price of the Morel Tempo Ultra 602 (other recommended one).  For me the speakers were secondary, given I was having the headunit done.  So I didn't want to spend too much, so very pleased with the Focal's.

Thanks 

did you get these fitted by the dealer and did you do anything with the sub/amp on the rear ? 
my son replaced mine but it still needs some work to it’s enclosure however my son just recovering from very serious illness so won’t be well to finish the job for many months so thinking I might have to pay for dealership to do the work ?

I upgraded to the Alpine 920R ( under warranty due to the flakey original 505 unit) and late added FoCal door speakers, tweeters and cross overs. I left the sub/amp as was as I was happy with my new sound. Plus with 2Bular and induction on my car I dont think a sub upgrade would have been worth the money and hassle.

I like to upgrade to Focals but when I did the sub/amp it was decent sound but I suspect the Focals will be noticeable difference however like everyone money is tight and I need the sub/amp sorting again and will have to pay a car Hifi person to do it as my son not fit for anything for several months 😞