Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Judder going from lock to lock - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Judder going from lock to lock

Go to solution Solved by agentdr8,

So I'm about to get the car back on the road after a few winter jobs and took it for a quick spin around the block to warm everything through and noticed that I'm getting a juddering as I go through 1/4 to 1/2 lock. All was good before the winter lay up.... Any thoughts , I've checked the obvious and there's enough fluid in the reservoir and no obvious leaks...

Help appreciated

C

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If it isn't the normal tire scrubbing from the Ackermann geometry, then it's probably air in your power steering line. Could be from a leak, or a worn seal somewhere. Probably best to remove the front undertray and have a look. 

• Like 1

@agentdr8 it's not the ackeman scrub I'm used to that but good call in checking for weeps , the front end is coming off in the next week for a rad and condenser change , the last jobs on the winter list now I've got room back in there so can have a good look at it then.

So .. no leaks under the front all looks good and when the system isn't under load there's no judder spinning from lock to lock .... 

Next job follow the lotus bleed procedure even though I've no idea how air could have got in whilst the car was stood ...

Then possibly pump change ?

When bleeding, it helps to point the nose downhill, and also ensure the front wheels are on the ground while turning lock to lock slowly. I tried doing it on my lift with the wheels in the air, and it would not bleed correctly. 

If bleeding the system doesn't resolve it, the rack itself might have some worn seals internally. 

• Like 1

@agentdr8... That will be fun , plus it's the opposite position the car is now in... 

Here's really hoping it's not the rack as they look to be on the bloody expensive side ....

So systems refreshed and bled ... No sodding change ... However I have noticed that the shudder reduces if I rev the engine so I'm guessing it's pump related ... 

On 31/03/2023 at 19:57, Bravo73 said:

Didn’t it come from a Laguna originally? 🤔

According to an article in the recent EVO Matt Becker says it was from a Honda Accord but with some changed internals.

• Solution

Make sure when you fit the new pump, the high pressure feed line that routes underneath the driveshaft on the RHS has plenty of clearance. Otherwise, the shaft will contact that pipe, and wear a hole through it, causing a giant mess (1st-hand experience here). 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I have done thanks for the reminder. Looks like the (frustrating and painful) pump swap has cured the problem. It's documented in a bit more detail in my projects thread. Full test will come once I get the rads and get it back together.

• 2 weeks later...