Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Help identifying an engine component - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Help identifying an engine component

ab2cv
Go to solution Solved by Escape,

Sorry if this is a daft question. Can anyone tell me what this is please (circled)? I'm guessing it's some kind of water pump, but I'm not sure.

Also, how noisy should it be when the ignition is switched on? My car has been parked up for a while and now when I go to start it, this pump(?) sounds noisier than I remember!

I'm just pre-empting having to replace it, if it has developed a fault.

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 20.40.39.png

Esprit GT3

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Solution

You're right that it is a water pump, probably an electric replacement for the standard engine driven pump for the chargecooler circuit. Not a very tidy install, there is room in the engine bay if you put some effort in it.

Have you checked coolant levels? If low, air in the circuit can cause the pump to whine. Or if the car has been sitting for a long time, it could be other debris/dirt or a clogged pipe somewhere. A flush would be the first step.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Thanks Filip,

I'm not sure who fitted it as it was on the car when I bought it but it would be interesting to see how others have installed this pump, to see if there is potential for me to tidy it up at some point in the future.

In terms of coolant levels, the reservoir on the rear left hand side is the one I normally check and top up but I noticed there is another reservoir in the engine bay, directly behind where this pump has been installed. What should the level be in this reservoir?

edit: Reading through this thread - now I know what it is!

Edited by ab2cv
Add link to charge cooler thread

Esprit GT3

The one in the engine bay is a header tank and should be full at all times. It should have a pressure cap on it, 15lbs or 110kpa rating. The other tank in the rear wing is an overflow, which should have a blanking cap on it, the level will vary depending on temperature.

If that’s the charge cooler pump, which I think it is, it can be relocated to the gearbox cross member, if you so desire. In fact, as it’s a circulation pump, it doesn’t really matter where in the system you put it, but lower down is better when getting rid of any air.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

It looks like my coolant level is very low in that case! I will try topping up and see if that makes a difference. 
Relocating the pump will be a job for another day I think, but this has been really useful chat as I feel like I am slowly getting to know my car!

Thanks both

• Like 1

Esprit GT3