Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Boot latch release cable question - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Boot latch release cable question

Go to solution Solved by Chillidoggy,

• Gold FFM

Am I correct in thinking/assuming that if the cable breaks neither of the two latches would release?

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Yup, only invasive surgery will get it open.  As it goes I'm just about to replace one!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Thanks @Sparky that is what I thought. My boot release cable physically releases both latches but the left hand side will not lift. I think the left latch is incorrectly adjusted. This has only become a problem with these high ambient temperature’s. Previously I did notice that the left plunger attached to the boot lid had been rubbing the fibreglass body. I think I need to move the boot lid forward a couple of millimetres so the plunger freely engages the latch.

I’m not looking forward to adjusting the boot as I have read it is a real pain to do!

• Gold FFM

It's not too bad, but best to have someone helping.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Hmm, I have no helper, and I need to get into the boot to reconnect the battery. My other option is to gently massage the body work fibreglass once it is cool enough to open the boot! 

• Gold FFM

And I'll bet the farm if one person pulled the latch whilst another lifted, it'd release.

• Gold FFM

Sorry for delay, missus was in hospital yesterday.

yes, jacked up drivers side and boot popped open. A little surgery with my dremel and a quick fiddle with the height of the boot and all now sorted. Thanks for the advice 👍

• Like 1

One thing I noticed when my engine latch became sticky:

The little plastic holders that keep the cable in position along the top of the rear bumper had gone brittle and broken, allowed the cable to sag.  That changed the length enough so one side would not release.  I replaced the little plastic holders/clips on the release cable and proper operation was restored.  

Have a look at those clips next time you are in there.

• Gold FFM

Thanks @Erikl my end clips are intact. The problem was the l/h boot lid plunger was fouling the bodywork. I removed the l/h boot latch assembly and elongated the plunger hole and the mounting bolt holes to allow me to move the whole latch assembly towards the rear of the vehicle. Once the plunger was entering the latch assembly in the centre (give or take half a mm, 20 thou’ or so) I was happy with the adjustment and tightened it all up.