Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ULEZ rules for classic cars - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

ULEZ rules for classic cars

williamtherebel

Apologies if this has been covered before. However Im confused (it doesnt take much!)regarding the rules on ULEZ. Im presuming the rules have changed because some time ago I found out through fact checker on the London Transport website that both my Lotus (1976 Eclat and 1977 Esprit S1) didnt have to pay the charge if I came down to visit London due to having the cars classed as Historic. However I have gone on the website this morning and apparently I now have to pay for both cars. There seems to be a contradiction in that on the one hand it states as follows:- 

ULEZ exempt classic cars

Classic cars may be exempt from the ULEZ if they fall into the historical vehicle tax class. This generally applies to any vehicle built more than 40 years ago in any given year.

But in the same article it now also states :-

Cars constructed before January 1, 1973, will not have to pay the charges associated with the ULEZ.  So anything after does?

So which is it? 40 years or 50 years?  :wacko:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

ULEZ: S1 Elise is exempt but TFL data base on emissions is wrong. You can get this corrected but you need a certificate of conformity from Lotus if you don't have one. It worked for my 340R that I happily commute in from Surrey to Fulham.

And my 1973 XJ6 is also exempt 😊

Justin 

• Like 1

Definitely rolling 40 years, as reintroduced by Coalition Govt in 2013/4, after Labour 1997 froze the rolling 25 years that had been introduced in 1994. Hence the 1973 cut-off between 1997 and 2013/4.

If you have 'Historic' on your V5, you are clear and free in ULEZ. I'm looking forward to 2027 when my Excel will be exempt and I can commute again with the wedge. Khan't wait 😊

Justin 

• Like 1

This anomaly of the TFL checker saying one thing and the rules saying something else has been around for quite a while.

I emailed TFL about my europa back in 2021 to be 100% sure and I suggest you do too just so you have evidence if required and perhaps if enough people do they might get round to altering the checker.

This is the response I got (number plate redacted)

Thank you for your enquiry received on 1st June 2021, regarding the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) charge for
historic vehicle, registration number XXXXXXX.
All vehicles registered before 1 January 1973 and vehicles with a tax class of 'Historic vehicle' are exempt from the
Ultra Low Emission Zone. They do not need to be registered with us.
If you're unsure of your vehicle's taxation class, refer to your vehicle registration document.
Please note that our Vehicle Registration Mark (VRM) checker only checks the emission standard of the vehicle and
will not state if your vehicle is exempt, unless you try to pay the charge to drive in the zone.
We have checked our records and can confirm that the vehicle XXXXXXX is exempt from ULEZ charge.
You will still need to pay the Congestion Charge if you drive in the zone, or you will receive a Penalty Charge Notice.
If you would like more information about the ULEZ, please visit tfl.gov.uk/ulez or call us on 0343 222
2222 (textphone 0207 649 9123).
Yours sincerely

Edited by NG5
typo
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

I have just switched mine to historic and I contacted TFL confirm that it was now exempt and they responded that it was the case even though their site had not yet picked it up from DVLA -