Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
89 Esprit coil heat soak? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

89 Esprit coil heat soak?

jkorvette

I had my 1989 Esprit Turbo S non-chargecooler Delco injection out for a 60 mile drive. Runs like a kitten and a lion when you call for it! 30 minutes after completing this pleasing drive, I went to start the car and it was not happy, acting like the coil(s) were heat soaked. Sputtering and not clearing out on multiple tries. The next day when cooled it started right up and behaved perfectly. Seems like classic electrical coil heat soak to me. Any words of wisdom before I purchase/replace both coils? Thank you

A coil suffering from heat soak is not uncommon, but I've only seen or heard of it in older style ignition system with a distributor. Never with direct electronic ignition as in the Esprit. The fact that you have 2 separate coils should mean even if one suffers from heat soak it should still fire fine on 2 cylinders. If all cylinders seemed affected, it could it be fuel vapor in the rail. But that should clear soon enough.

Did you feel the coils to check?

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Oops, I immediately went for the tech content and didn't notice it was in the wrong place...

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.