Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Limp mode and codes - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Limp mode and codes

Go to solution Solved by Rambo,

When to start car engine check and traction lights on and car misfired my son heard then I got limp mode.

I tried to clear codes no luck AA man tried also no luck he said it needs to go onto low loader up to lotus ! 

anything else I could try ? It had brake switch last year hoping it not prelude to starter motor failure ? 

• Solution

Yes, that is the throttle body.

What codes did you actually get on your fault reader as that will help us get to the right area. I'm guessing you might have had codes P0171/P0172 which point to the MAF sensor which is located to the left of the throttle body housing, left of your photo.

Might be worth removing the sensor and cleaning with MAF sensor spray - an easy fix. You could also remove the throttle body sensor and clean that at the same time. Also remove the throttle body and clean in there - the butterfly can get quite dirty.

The fact that your car started, albeit roughly, indicates your starter motor is OK, although it's not unknown for them to go (I've had a new one)

You may have had other error codes too ie P2104/P2119 etc....

P2104 Throttle actuator control system – forced idle

What happens is, if a problem is detected which could result in faster engine speed than commanded by the pedal, the actuator is switched out, allowing the throttle valve to default to a 6% mechanically sprung setting. This provides a fast idle speed which may be used to effect a 'limp home' mechanism.

NB This code indicates action taken by the ECU, and will always be accompanied by another code which has caused this action ie P2119 Throttle Actuator Control Throttle Body Range/Performance

Hopefully the throttle body is just dirty so definitely worth investigating and cleaning up the system at home.

I think these were codes that appear they have in past then my starter motor gave up it maybe not related ? 

This cleaning procedure is hard and need special tools and I don’t have this MAF spray so is it best I take it back to lotus on Thursday 

Unfortunately I have funeral and then work commitment for early week

should I try to drive car or leave it to Thursday AA will arrange low loader if needed ?
my son says codes gone and car reviving up ok ?  

2 hours ago, Rambo said:

Hopefully the throttle body is just dirty so definitely worth investigating and cleaning up the system at home

48 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

This cleaning procedure is hard and need special tools and I don’t have this MAF spray ......

The cleaning process is very easy, particularly the MAF sensor. You could order MAF spray on the internet and get it tomorrow or try any motor factor, Halfrauds etc...

Here is a detailed step by step cleaning process. Very comprehensive and easy to follow 👍

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/85552-quick-throttle-body-and-maf-sensor-clean/#comment-680519

• Like 1

My son managed to get into the throttle body seen the butterfly thing and said it looked very clean and shiny 

he still gave it a spray and closed it up and I assume it was working but I am at music festival so won’t know until I get home which will be around 1pm 

so do I chance it and drive to my lotus garage on Thursday and get it seen or will it be ok ? I can try to test it tomorrow but I am busy at work then I am away until Thursday 

I'd drive it until the error codes re-appear, if at all. It might just have been a glitch through standing or lack of use.

I have found that my Evora needs to be "used and abused" regularly to keep it in tip top order.

1 hour ago, Rambo said:

'd drive it until the error codes re-appear, if at all. It might just have been a glitch through standing or lack of use

I used it day before it been a tad hunting at idler and temp seems to get higher when in traffic lately ? However I been on a long journey in last couple of weeks and been driving it on lotus Sunday morning runs .

maybe it needs a service which I regularly do in September 

It's not unusual to have the odd, erroneous error code. If it's gone now and the car is driving fine, just drive it. If it comes on again, take it to your local Lotus garage for further diagnosis. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

4 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

No idea what this is ?

however my son took a picture of throttle body chamber and this was before he sprayed it and he said it appeared very clean ? 

95ac8f10-b93c-463d-813d-416863b2e997.jpeg

That's the throttle body butterfly valve, as I mentioned earlier in my posts. It does look very clean though.

Just do as Bibs suggests - my advice too.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Next time you're out in your Evora, just floor it in 2nd and 3rd sport mode Clive. You'll blow away all those cobwebs, gremlins, fault codes etc... and it'll put a smile back on your face 👍

• Like 1