Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine and transaxle removal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine and transaxle removal

mikemech

I am removing the engine and transaxle on my 1984 lotus esprit turbo and am looking for any tips the way it looks like to me I would have to remove the transaxle first and then the motor or would need to remove the final drive off the transaxle to gain clearance to remove the complete assembly.I have motor and transaxle mounts undone the rear pan axles turbo and all exhaust except the manifold bolted to the head all the hoses cables and wiring harness and the crossmember across the frame overtop of the top A.C. shift rod clutch slave and all oil lines to the filter housing I have also removed.So I believe I should have mostly everything removed but if I have missed anything I would appreciate any help.This is my first lotus and only the third rear engine automobile I have worked on.Thanks in Advance

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you watch this episode of Wheeler Dealers you'll see the engine & transmission being removed as one unit.

Good luck with it.

Edited by jonwat

Cheers,

John W

Remove the reverse light switch to avoid damage (also drain oil or it will run out of here as you lift).  Remove the rear disks/calipers to give yourself more wiggle room.   Remove engine/transaxle as a single unit.   Once you start lifting, the whole assembly  needs to be angled steeply down at the rear - maybe +30 degrees or so.   Make sure your lifting gear arrangement will be able to accommodate the changing angle as you lift.  Ensure you have enough headroom and a long reach engine hoist.    

You'll have to tilt the assembly at least this much to clear the body. A hand cranked leveler is v. helpful. Have a helper and wrap some protection around the body bits.

InWithTheNew (2).JPG