Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
285/35/18 tyres on 410/430? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

285/35/18 tyres on 410/430?

Hi all, does anyone know whether 285/35/18 tyres will fit my 410 without rubbing? The OEM tyres are 285/30/18, so a 35 profile would increase the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre slightly.

My reason for asking is that I'm looking to get some tyres for winter track and road work - if I'm a bit creative with the sizing, it looks like the new (ish) Bridgestone Potenza Sport are available front (225/45/17 rather than 215/45/17 OEM) and rear. 

Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
17 hours ago, Tex said:

I’d be more concerned with 225 on the fronts as there is little clearance on that width on full lock.

Not so sure on the rears though 

There's been a few posts where 225/30/R17s are doable on the front if front camber doesn't exceed -2.0 and slight rubbing at only full lock.

Looking for some road biased tyres to put on myself but the OEM sizing for 410/430s do not leave much choice which means looking at slightly different sizes...

Thanks both! Yep, I've seen a few mentions of 225/45 being possible. Eventually, I might get them onto an 8" wide front wheel (rather than the 7.5" OEM). Thanks for raising all the same @Tex - I might at least investigate whether there are smaller options (e.g. a lower profile to offset the wider contact patch a little).

As mentioned in my original post, what I haven't come across is any mentions of using a 285/35 rear tyre rather than the OEM 285/30. It would mean a tyre wall height of 99.75mm rather than 85.5mm (OEM), if my sums are correct.

1 hour ago, Screamer said:

Thanks both! Yep, I've seen a few mentions of 225/45 being possible. Eventually, I might get them onto an 8" wide front wheel (rather than the 7.5" OEM). Thanks for raising all the same @Tex - I might at least investigate whether there are smaller options (e.g. a lower profile to offset the wider contact patch a little).

As mentioned in my original post, what I haven't come across is any mentions of using a 285/35 rear tyre rather than the OEM 285/30. It would mean a tyre wall height of 99.75mm rather than 85.5mm (OEM), if my sums are correct.

Seems like quite a big difference % wise for the sidewalls, but I am not sure if it would work or not

image.png.e7169a786ad66dcd99cdea7f98cae966.png

I also have a tyre problem... 🤔

Need to replace the rear Cup2's on my 410 but none in stock anywhere!

Will be trying the AD09 (285-30-18) on the back & changing the front Cup2's for the AD08RS. Same size. 👍🏻

See how it goes. 

Can't get the newer AD09 for the front, as they don't make them in that size. The AD08RS is the closest match for the rears. AD09's seem like a decent tyre & have had some good reviews.

I'll let you know how I get on. 😎

@Stef

It looks like Yokohama do make the AD09 in the correct front size, but it’s either not available in the UK yet, or none of the stockists have it?

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/advan-neova-ad09

I wonder if it’s worth contacting someone like Tegiwa imports and seeing what they say about it?

• Like 1

@Stef

Cup 2s are available in 295 30 18. I fitted these back in August and all going well 1000 miles in (including a track day) 

Appreciate Cup 2s are far from an ideal winter tyre though 😬

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

According to Nankang insta account, the Nankang CR-S should be available in Q1 2024 for europe with the right dimensions/speed Index for the 380-430 Exige.

nankangmotorsport_1705177381941.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I’ve seen a few posts on social media saying these are now available. Including from Seriously Lotus who now have them listed on their website. 

Slightly more expensive than Cup2’s, but not by much. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. 🙂

Haven't changed any tyres yet. Once the weather warms up, I seriously need to think about changing all 4.

When I do, I'll post here & let you know what I think of my new tyres. Whichever ones I decide on. 👍

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/11/2023 at 21:36, RP420 said:

@Stef

Cup 2s are available in 295 30 18. I fitted these back in August and all going well 1000 miles in (including a track day) 

Appreciate Cup 2s are far from an ideal winter tyre though 😬

Would you happen to have a picture of how the 295 look / how wide they are? 

• Like 1

Thank you Ryan! 

Looks good to me! I was afraid the tyres would look too wide for the wheels / arches, but it looks fine from the pictures and videos. I have ordered a set and I'm looking forward to get them installed. 

PS: Now i want the rear black panel painted in Motorsport Green... 😍 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Replaced the rear tyre's last week. 👍🏻

Still can't easily find correct size Cup2's so went with Yokohama AD09. The front are still Cup2's until I can change them in a couple of weeks. 

Haven't had the chance to push them yet, as the weather's been rubbish. So far, they do feel better over the Cup2's. But that could be down to new rubber vs. 4 year old tyres.

They look a lot nicer in my opinion. More 'square' looking than the rounded Cup2's which I'm not a fan of.

I'll have a better idea how they compare once we get some good weather. ☀️ 😊

IMG_3603.jpeg

IMG_3617.jpeg

IMG_3612.jpeg

IMG_3617.jpeg

IMG_3619.jpeg

IMG_3621.jpeg

IMG_3626.jpeg

IMG_3627.jpeg

IMG_3628.jpeg

IMG_3631.jpeg

• Like 1

On 21/11/2023 at 06:41, Paul_D said:

@Stef

It looks like Yokohama do make the AD09 in the correct front size, but it’s either not available in the UK yet, or none of the stockists have it?

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/advan-neova-ad09

I wonder if it’s worth contacting someone like Tegiwa imports and seeing what they say about it?

Thanks for the info Paul.

Called 'Tegiwa imports' last week about AD09's in the correct front size, but told me they couldn't import the correct size. 🫤

They said I would have to wait until Yokohama introduces that size to the UK market later this year.

Can't wait that long, so will buy the correct size AD08's for the front in a couple of weeks. 👍🏻

for anyone interested,,,i just fitted 225/45/17 and 295/30/19 yokohama advan AO50 tyres to my oem forged 410 wheels and they worked brilliantly,,,,no rub,,,just awesome grip. much better than michelin cup 2's. so i went up one size front n rear fyi

• Like 1

Interesting, and good to hear 

There is No issue with rears and I’ve been using Nankang 295 AR1’s for a while but have not gone up to 225 on the front as they are much squarer and a fair bit wider than Cup2’s

So how are you finding the 225 AO50’s with clearance on lock and under braking, some folks have reported 225’s are just too wide

Well i used them in a motorsport event and didnt notice any rubbing and guards look fine, they do look wider but a 7.5inch wheel is optimum with a 225 on paper...215 is leaning towards the stretched look of spectrum. The A050 tires are very very good. Some ppl run aftermarket front wheel ls at 17x8+26 and +24 ive seen with 225s and they get along fine so a 225 on stock wheel is ok. 

20240330_104607.jpg

• Like 1