Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Market Watch - Page 16 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Market Watch

rizla603104

Loved it and put 700 trouble free miles on the car.  Unfortunately a local GT40 replica  I've been chasing for years came up for sale and I don't have space to keep the Lotus.

Shame as it took me 2 years to find a GT3  this good :(

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

According to hagerty.com, the price of a 1977 Esprit S1 in the U.S. increased 35-60% (depending on condition) from May to Sept 2015.  Better then my stock portfolio!

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

I've never seen an Esprit before with mud flaps.

IMG_2219.jpg

Leather looks pristine - if you like that sort of thing :)

Black bumpers, colour coded mirrors?

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Well if Practical Classics know what they're talking about there doesn't seem too much to get excited about...

358pft4.jpg

The 4 prices range from top notch car to restoration project. So where are the S1 restoration projects for £7,000?

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• Gold FFM

them there value tables have always been complete and utter twoddle. They are always well under what any dealer will sell a car for - and even further away from what they will buy for.

ill put an order in now for a £5k s2.2 that's just about worthy of an mot as they guide!!!

i wouldn't like to see the valuations on an elite 503

Only here once

I've been wondering about why there seem to be fewer Esprits advertised year on year. I often get comments like "you don't see these much anymore from passers by. When everyday cars start to dwindle in Autotrader you know it's because they have mostly worn out from the daily grind that toy cars are not usually subject to. Not so long ago there would be 3 or 4 GT3s in the classifieds each week and now lucky to see one. Do special cars eventually pass into the hands of long term owners who rarely sell, or have they secretly been getting scrapped or SORNed due to mechanical maladies?

There was either an advert or a post on here recently about a GT3 for sale with the comment something along the lines of "now only 60 believed left in the UK". Douglas Valley breakers aren't bursting at the seams with them so if this is not erroneous information or seller's bullshit where have they all gone?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

A top notch S1 would be at least double the Practical Classics estimate.

The numbers of good cars available are tiny and the best examples change hands without ever being advertised for sale.

As such a guide price is complete nonsense really. Someone selling an Essex or perfect S1 could name his price.

Exactly. S1s have changed hands in the USA for big money and USA pricing is generally lower than UK. 

The problem with the price lists is they are based on a too-small sample size. There are so few of these cars left in the marketplace.

I've been wondering about why there seem to be fewer Esprits advertised year on year. I often get comments like "you don't see these much anymore from passers by. When everyday cars start to dwindle in Autotrader you know it's because they have mostly worn out from the daily grind that toy cars are not usually subject to. Not so long ago there would be 3 or 4 GT3s in the classifieds each week and now lucky to see one. Do special cars eventually pass into the hands of long term owners who rarely sell, or have they secretly been getting scrapped or SORNed due to mechanical maladies?

There was either an advert or a post on here recently about a GT3 for sale with the comment something along the lines of "now only 60 believed left in the UK". Douglas Valley breakers aren't bursting at the seams with them so if this is not erroneous information or seller's bullshit where have they all gone?

Ive seen quite a few advertised cars show up some time later on eBay after having been crashed. You know the tune "CAT C, light fibreglass damage, repairable drive away"

So a lot do get crashed, or burn.

But its also likely a lot of them are sitting around in garages what with the market and all.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

FYI here in the states, when I reg'd mine last month in my soon to be new resident state of Delaware, they valued it, a 1993 SE, at only $17K, thankfully as I had to pay 3.5% to the new state.

Thought so too, it's amazing how it shortens the car. 

Black is the original colour for 494g but you can see something lighter through scrapes on the leading edge of the drivers door and side of the front valence. I wonder was it white at some stage?

aaaaaaaaand it's gone. I think within a day but I didn't see the start date of the ad. So £15k is fair money in the UK market for what seemed to be a good useable S2, albeit it with some issues to take care of.

Anyone on here the lucky new owner?

• Gold FFM

The next big thing is going to be the hardy triumph spitfire - Orange is the best colour on say a 1976 r reg

get in fast before they are all gone

Only here once

aaaaaaaaand it's gone. I think within a day but I didn't see the start date of the ad. So £15k is fair money in the UK market for what seemed to be a good useable S2, albeit it with some issues to take care of.

Anyone on here the lucky new owner?

I'm quite pleased with that if it went for somewhere in the region of £15K.

I'd consider mine to be better than just 'usable' condition although it's far from concourse and has had paint, but it's very tidy and retains the original interior. That one had nasty door card speakers and the paint looked a bit tatty.

I gave £12.5K for mine less than 2 years ago and I'd like to think the value is approaching £20K now and rising.

Almost makes up for the massive hit I took when I lost my Sport 350!!

• Like 1

I'm quite pleased with that if it went for somewhere in the region of £15K.

It's still on the dealer's website, which might just be a case of backed up admin, but now that I have a good hard look there are a few other things that need sorting out, but the dealer seems like a reputable sort, so if it went for the £15k mark I'd be happy too. (I have no vested interest or association by the way, only that I have one myself and take an interest in the market)

RE the Spitfire chaps, you're on your own there. Always hated them, to me a vermillion Spitfire is the stuff of nightmares. May they all breakdown unceremoniously and away from me :stuart: