Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Market Watch - Page 32 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Market Watch

rizla603104

• Gold FFM

I'm sure I have read that the big wings produce very little downforce.

although to be honest I think this was a rumour started by German car loving, american muscle car owning good with colours type of folk

Only here once

2 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Although to be honest I think this was a rumour started by German car loving, american muscle car owning good with colours type of folk

I hope you're not refering to me!  Yes, my Audi is superb, has never let me down and cost me very little in up keep and the Mustang is great (and cost me a fortune in up keep).  But that may be conincidental.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

I'm sure I have read that the big wings produce very little downforce.

The only downforce they produce comes from the weight of the damn things. Concrete slab in the boot would work better.

I was listening to Mike Wilds last night at a Club Lotus Avon do saying how amazing down force had become as a success factor across his 50 odd years of professional racing.

So the Three Eleven doesn't have about three million pounds of down force then?

I was looking for that recent thread where there was a quote from Lotus that they did always test spoilers and that removing them or modifying them would affect the car's handling. Can't find it.

Don't care, I get the aerodynamics. Whatever Lotus have ever put on a car is for a practical reason and not for cosmetics.

TELL ME I AM WRONG

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

8 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Don't care, I get the aerodynamics. Whatever Lotus have ever put on a car is for a practical reason and not for cosmetics.

TELL ME I AM WRONG

Your wrong

th.jpg

But we are looking at road cars not race cars. Speed vs aero effect of the spoiler is not enough for any appreciable downforce.

2 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

Your wrong

th.jpg

I disagree Bazza. She looks very practical and could definitely do a job for me :devil:

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

But we are looking at road cars not race cars. Speed vs aero effect of the spoiler is not enough for any appreciable downforce.

So it will not be much help to me at 175 mph on a track day then?

Good luck finding a track where you can go 175mph, let alone around a corner where you need the downforce.

In reality, very, very few Esprits are used on trackdays. There can't be more than a dozen or two people on here who have tracked their Esprit. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

11 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

I disagree Bazza. She looks very practical and could definitely do a job for me :devil:

So it will not be much help to me at 175 mph on a track day then?

Yes probably would in that situation.

@Bibs I think I was north of 200 mph on the parade lap at Brooklands and if I didnt have the wing on my v8 god only knows what would have happened :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BP81 said:

@Bibs I think I was north of 20 mph on the parade lap at Brooklands and if I didnt have the wing on my v8 god only knows what would have happened :)

:)

Very proud of you :D 

• Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

On the subject of track days, what is the purpose of doing a track day? I would say that its an opportunity to hone driving skills, get some excitement and time laps to race against yourself and improve the times. Thats the way I have approached it in the past.

So it does not really matter whether a spoiler adds 5 mph or not because you are only competing against yourself.

Unless you are building a track-only car in which case you can go all out and go for massive engine upgrade, huge spoiler, rose-jointed suspension, lowering, stiffening etc. But then it becomes less desirable, or impossible, to use on the road and probably ugly.

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

Unless you are building a track-only car in which case you can go all out and go for massive engine upgrade, huge spoiler, rose-jointed suspension, lowering, stiffening etc. But then it becomes less desirable, or impossible, to use on the road and probably ugly.

*** OFF TOPIC ALERT - SORRY! ***

So with my existing Quaife gearbox and LOTAC suspension upgrades and my impeding 500+ bhp plan for my engine I should be ok then! <_<

That was just the labour. You forgot the parts cost and the VAT. Silly boy.... ;)

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!