Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Do you use shower caps and hardtops? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Do you use shower caps and hardtops?

Go to solution Solved by Bibs,

I am new to Lotus and Elise (s1) ownership, only four short drives since purchase at the end of last year and my car is tucked aways until spring (started one a month and run up to temperature, windows open an inch or so and stored in an integral garage). However, I am trying to get prepared for spring and looking forward to hopefully many days out and events.

Does anyone use a shower cap? If so, what are your thoughts, good, bad or anything in between.

The Original Elemental Shower Cap - All Elise Models | Hangar 111

Also, I am considering looking for a hardtop, just so that I have one and to use in Spring and Autumn. Therefore, if you do have one, do you use it much also how easy to store and take on/off (assume a two person job).

Final point, do you carry a toolkit, there isn't much room. If so, what. I have a fire safety stick, hi vis vest, note pad, etc. I do have a more comprehensive toolkit in my everyday car (but still basic.), but that as more space in the boot.

Much appreciated. 

Regards, Geek

Geek squad 3.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Solution

I had that shower cap from H111, very much the best one and useful to cover the car, raining or not and even with the soft/hardtop on just for an extra layer of protection :)

As you can use a roof bow in it, it doesn't suffer from turning into a pond as much as others and has a nice padded bar which goes under the wiper blade to help keep it tight. 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Another vote for the elemental shower cap. Well worth buying.

I have a hard top and it's NEVER used. Simply not worth bothering with as the Elise is garaged over the winter and when out 99% of the time the top is off. FWIW the hardtop makes getting in and out even more difficult than with the soft top on.

You will come to love the S1 Elise once you really start using it and then understand what all the fuss is about - truly exceptional cars to drive that cost relative peanuts to run.  

• Like 1

You'll be unlucky to need a tool kit. Elise don't break especially if well maintained. The immobiliser is the biggest concern to leave you stranded, by-pass adaptor available or remove or update it. 

https://www.eliseparts.com/shop/security-alarm-system/immobiliser-bypass/

Best drive the car 5 miles or so rather than start and leave idling. That's doing more harm than good as the oily bits are colder for much longer. Or don't do it at all. 

S1 Elise is the greatest. You've bought at the right time...  apart from leaving it far too long 🙂

Justin 

• Like 2

On VX220, I use a rubber "mat" to cover the engine grills when I leave the car standing in rain, which is not often.

Like with the Elise/Exige, the rain just goes through the mess and collects on top of the engine and then runs and collects in the plug holes, across the electrics, the coil pack etc.

I doubt it is necessary, but such a small thing will help.

I also cover the front bonnet mesh too - as underneath that is the battery, radiator, fuses, brake servo etc.

Again, not necessary but costs practically nothing in cash and time, and will do more good than harm, I suspect.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

4 hours ago, jerzybondov said:

My S1 has proved to be remarkably rain proof with the soft top on so I’ve not needed the shower cap yet.

Congrats on joining the club Geek - I think this thread needs pics!

Lotus Elise S1 111s(1).JPG

Lotus Elise S1 111s(2).JPG

Lotus Elise 111s.jpg

Elise s1 under cover.JPG

Edited by Geek
Changed images
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Regards, Geek

Geek squad 3.jpg

12 hours ago, jerzybondov said:

Lovely motor @Geek!

Thank you, it was very low milage <27,000. I have about 15 miles to go to reach 27,000.

I haven't owned it that long, I only purchased it at the later end of last year, I have only driven four short drives before the car was SORN until spring. Although, if there are any decent weekends forecast I may road tax it.

I am looking forward to attending Lotus events this year, ideally in the North West, but also Midlands, Cumbria, Yorkshire, Cheshire, etc. if not too many hours drive.

Edited by Geek
Typo trying to respond to two separate post.
  • Like 1

Regards, Geek

Geek squad 3.jpg

On 09/02/2024 at 22:35, Bibs said:

I had that shower cap from H111, very much the best one and useful to cover the car, raining or not and even with the soft/hardtop on just for an extra layer of protection :)

As you can use a roof bow in it, it doesn't suffer from turning into a pond as much as others and has a nice padded bar which goes under the wiper blade to help keep it tight. 

Thank you, most helpful as usual.

I have purchased the shower cap based on your advise, it should arrive tomorrow.

• Like 1

Regards, Geek

Geek squad 3.jpg