Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Filming on an ice track with a 360, action cam and a drone. - Photography Matters - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Filming on an ice track with a 360, action cam and a drone.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I replaced my Excel with an XJ-S. I wanted to experience a manual transmission V12. The manual transmission conversion really transformed the car. It´s a fantastic GT! Now that I need more room in the back seats, I am considering going back to an Excel... 🙂

• Like 1

I so want to love XJ-S but can't quite get there, even as a two Jaguar owner and cheerer of the leaper.  Too cramped and the styling unresolved. 

Stonking value though and still a wonderful car. 

Justin 

Well, XJ-S sure is the definition of a reverese Tardis, but the back seats are suprisingly good. Worked fine for my kids, until about mid teens. Excel has amazing packaging and ca fit adults in the back. 

When I was young, the famous buttresses of the XJ-S bothered me. Now I love them.

One factor that is different over here, compared to the UK, is the context. Here they are rare, therefore sleek exotica. In UK, I would imagine, there are a lot tired examples in circulation (and in front gardens).. 🙂 

• Like 1

An XJ-S is great value for money, not as iconic as an E-type but I actually prefer the sharper lines and pretty well put together. I'd love a manual, but they're so rare. How hard was the conversion (I really shouldn't ask, I've got enough work as it is)? Or I could trade in my Excel? 🙂
What disappoints me about my SC (apart from the needlessly complex HVAC) is the lack of rear seats and even then the fold down rear window sits on top of the body. Whereas in a slightly smaller Stag, you have a usable rear seat and the entire roof neatly folds into the body and is cleanly covered. The price you pay for a few more cylinders I guess.

I was tempted to take my Jag out in the snow last month, I'm sure it would have been a hoot, but with all the salt on the roads over here also a very bad idea...

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I prefer the design of the XJS-S to any 2+2 e-type. The most direct comparison would be the series III v12. The manual conversion was a dealbreaker to me. I wanted to enjoy the v12 sound and the three speed slush box robbed a lot of opportunities for that. I understand that as a new car the automatic XJ-S has been an effortless magic ride, but I wanted mine with a hint of the TWR race cars. The Simply Performace conversion itself is a proven package, but I had it done for me, as I did not have an access to lift. 

My car is originally a Dutch car and my summer wheels are period correct 16" Arden wheels. I will be selling my XJ-S and the Maserati, as I need to reduce my fleet. I would like to have a classic car more room for my now almost adult children. At the top of my list are Eclat Excel, Quattroporte III and the Subaru SVX. So I might take you up on the trade proposal! 🙂

Yes, I am a nut case.. 🙂 

P.s. No salt on these roads, as it was too cold for using it! 😄

• Like 2

Great video - It's really hard to get it looking right with such a bright background. 

Try filming some at higher frame rates, even up to 100FPS (remember to set the shutter speed to twice the framerate) and slow it down in the edit, it'll look awesome :D

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Interesting ideas. Unlike a lot of action cam stuff, my preference has been mostly towards 24fps for a cinematic effect. On this video I was in a hurry, so the raw footage is all over the place. Driving, filming, recording sound and droning in a hurry is not a good idea... 

It was a cloudy and pretty depressing looking day, so I have cranked up the brightness and contrast quite a bit. The end shot is overexposed on purpose for an artistic effect.

I shot a lot of this with the Insta360 One, which limits the frame rate to 30fps, if one wants to have fullHD crop for a 16:9 export.