Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bubbles on paintwork front bonnet - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Bubbles on paintwork front bonnet

I have noticed over a long time these bubbles getting worse to this point in the picture

is this a fix that is home DIY or it’s a professional paint job which likely be expensive? Oh yes I am dire at DIY but hopefully even an idiot like me could achieve ? 

IMG_0441.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Probably osmosis. If so, that is moisture within the fibreglass/gel coat and to fix properly you'd have to repair the moisture problem (by renewing the gel coat) as just removing the paint and respraying will probably lead to a similar issue in the future. 

Steve Williams in Maidenhead will be able to give a professional opinion.

Justin 

1 hour ago, jep said:

Steve Williams in Maidenhead will be able to give a professional opinion

Oh cheers Jep I guess it sounds expensive but Maidenhead is a couple hundred miles away so I need to find someone local to me in East Midlands ?

Plenty of good body shops around your area I am sure. They must understand fibreglass and personally I think it's worth travelling.....but plenty on here can point you in the right direction. 

Do it once, do it properly.

• Like 2

On 24/02/2024 at 14:18, jep said:

Do it once, do it properly.

Perhaps the factory should send a few people along to see how the professionals do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Still happening, customer of mine has sent his emira back for paint bubbling, been back twice before as also goes into limp mode. Has always had an Aston and is thinking of going back to one 

• Sad 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• 3 weeks later...

I just been to a local TVR / some Lotus bodywork’s place and intent to go also to Option 1 in the next few weeks for another opinion too.

this guy I saw a honest and experienced company advised me that he could do the work to try and repair /recover the front clam bubbling but his difficulty was to guarantee the work as he described this type of fault remerges after a period of time. 
I spoke to Option 1 on phone and they acknowledged the common bubble faults with Lotus and type of material been prone to the issue, he wants to see my car and I wonder if I get same reaction and concerned about spending £K’s and have to revisit it again a couple of years ? 🫤

12 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

to revisit it again a couple of years ?

I doubt it would be a couple of years. Maybe 10. In that time there is more chance of some knob in an SUV or Van reversing all over the front clam!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

TBF it’s cosmetic but nice to sort however I am concerned that whatever fix is applied the issue will return maybe after a few years but return it will ? Given the comments from the first quote I got hopefully Option 1 will say with more conviction on a time frame but I need to balance that with cost ultimately