Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
OBD 2 Scanning / diagnostics recommendations. TPMS too. - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

OBD 2 Scanning / diagnostics recommendations. TPMS too.

Ginettaman

I’m the owner of an 2009 Evora along with other vehicles and I maintain my cars and motorcycles myself. I’m thinking of buying a new diagnostic tool for all my cars but wondering if one particular brand was better for the Evora fault finding. Do any work on Lotuses? Ideally I want one to cover Lotus, Merc and Seat/Vw too. I’m not looking at professional high budget machines so up to around £200 and I need it to also diagnose the Lotus Tyre Pressure Monitoring System for tyre changes and adding programming new sensors.

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've moved your topic to the Evora section :)

If you have a look through here, there are a few topics about this already with recommendations. Through trial & error people have found options that work on the TPMS too, I believe @exeterjeep has one :thumbup:

eg...

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

There is a certain brand of ODB reader which can also clear the airbag light (which will come on if you try to start your car with a flat battery). A search for 'Evora airbag light' should point you in the right direction.

However, you won't find any commercially available reader which can read the Lotus specific codes (ie you won't find a hacked version of Lotus TechCentre).

Thanks for the info and useful to know about the airbag resetting. Not got much of a clue what to do with the tpms as I only want to replace 2 tyres so it sounds like I shouldn’t touch or replace 2 sensors. 

My 2013 Evora S did not have TPMS, but I know that ones pre the 4xx used off the shelf type but the ones 4xx on used a totally different sensor/receiver.. There are a number of threads on other Lotus forums a well as on here. Been playing with TPMS for the wife's RR since we started changing the wheels etc. 

Sensors will eventually fail when the internal battery dies and so it stops sending the pressure details to the receiver. It would then fail its MOT - if the TPMS is required on the car.

Mines an early car but what do you mean about off the shelf type. My sensors are working ok but I need 2 tyres soon. I thought I'd need to replace them while the tyres are off. One looks corroded. I was hoping to buy some then program them myself if I need to.

Have a look at topics like: 

https://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/topic/67448-evora-tpms-replacement/

https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/tire-pressure-sensor-2010.427842/

https://tpmswarehouse.co.uk/product-category/lotus/lotus-evora/

Earlier cars use a more standard sensor than the later cars.

Some tyre fitters can damage the sensors when changing tyres - this should not be a problem really these days, but many years ago a local garage broke a sensor on one of our Jeep wheels and just replaced the valve with standard, so the TPMS warning would have come up. I bought a new sensor and so they had another go at fitting it.

On eBay you can find new sensors, but adverts where it says that their sensors fit Evora 2010-2022 (or any date after 2018/19) are wrong as the parts changed when the 400 was introduced.

It costs me about £10 to get my tyre place to remove an old sensor and fit one of my new ones (that I pay around £28 for), as recently have had 4 TPMS stop working on the spare black 18" set of wheels for the wife's evoque