Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Slow to start - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Slow to start

One of the remaining niggles on my Esprit V8 is that the engine is slow to start. It takes a considerable number of crank cycles before the engine comes on, particularly when she has been sitting for a while. After she starts everything is running as it should. 

Ramspott & Brandt noted it when I picked up the car, but blamed it as potentially being related to the injectors from RC Injection. Others have said its a feature, not a bug saying Lotus does this intentionally to ensure proper oil flow before start, I have met other V8 owners with the same issue.

The fuel pump does prime properly as it should. But, it seems to me that no fuel is being injected until several crank cycles are completed.

So, is it a (annoying) Lotus feature or where should I start to look?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

It is certainly a feature with my 4 pot Turbo.

Usually cranks half a dozen times. Always has done for the last ten years.

Several V8 owners have experienced long warm cranking times due to marginal OEM injectors. Are the RC injectors relatively new?

I'd need to research the favorite replacement V8 injector brand.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

There has been much debate regarding earthing issues battery condition etc causing poor starting issues.

But one thing we often forget, is the time it takes for the ECM to read the new information coming from the various sensors, and allow it time to adjust the associated pumps and valves accordingly for optimum starting.

How long is it taking to start?

Its a return style fuel system so if the pump is running the fuel should be at the injectors unless there is a leak. Which could be inside the fuel tank - the rubber lines in there fail over time.

Could test this buy letting it sit for a while - the length of time it would usually take to start poorly - then before trying to turn it over just switch the ignition to prime the fuel pump several times. If it starts with less of an issue it could be worth checking out the fuel tank hoses... the might have a pinhole.

17 hours ago, Thartje said:

How long is it taking to start?

Its a return style fuel system so if the pump is running the fuel should be at the injectors unless there is a leak. Which could be inside the fuel tank - the rubber lines in there fail over time.

Could test this buy letting it sit for a while - the length of time it would usually take to start poorly - then before trying to turn it over just switch the ignition to prime the fuel pump several times. If it starts with less of an issue it could be worth checking out the fuel tank hoses... the might have a pinhole.

Checked that already. The pump primes for 3-4 seconds, so fuel pressure is there. 

On 05/03/2024 at 01:41, Steve V8 said:

There has been much debate regarding earthing issues battery condition etc causing poor starting issues.

But one thing we often forget, is the time it takes for the ECM to read the new information coming from the various sensors, and allow it time to adjust the associated pumps and valves accordingly for optimum starting.

That has been my thought also, implying that its a feature, not a bug.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!