Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Roadtrip - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Roadtrip

Hi lotus folk,

Planning trip to Switzerland in June any advice, doing the passes.

any info on whether hardtop or softop i hear it can rain quite bad.

plus any  other useful info would be helpful thanks 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I’m also down there end of June. 
Doing France Belgium Germany Austria Switzerland and Italy. Done it several times before and always a great trip. Starts to get interesting in Southern Germany as the Alps come into sight. Lots of superb Passes to navigate. 
And whilst Switzerland is beautiful eating and drinking out is really pricey (only Country I went to on the last trip where I refused to tip as the cost of the food was so extortionate - mash potatoe and sausages X2 plus 1 beer and 1 G&T over £100) 

You will also need to purchase an Austrian and Swiss Vignette (Motorway sticker for the windscreen. Most Service stations sell them)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

23 hours ago, mayevora said:

Doing France Belgium Germany Austria Switzerland and Italy.

Let me know when (and where) you're passing through Belgium. Always happy to welcome a TLF member 😉 

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

We have driven through Switzerland quite a few times in recent years and always order the vignette before we go. That said, there is a booking fee, which might be avoided if you obtained locally. The Swiss border staff checked our group for vignettes.

Speeding is a massive issue in Switzerland. They have a zero tolerance policy and cameras are set to the exact figure. Personally I don't enjoy the motorways because of that.

Regarding food prices.....last summer we stopped at a Hotel on Lake Constance and found a nice Pizza place with an outside terrace just a street back from the lake. It was very similar to UK prices there. Roughly a fiver for a large draft beer and about £15.00 for a very large pizza. I think it pays to check the prices before sitting down as it clearly varies greatly between regions etc.

Edited by Simon Bateman

• Gold FFM
14 hours ago, Escape said:

Let me know when (and where) you're passing through Belgium. Always happy to welcome a TLF member 😉 

Many thanks. I’ve got the dates and Tunnel booked but not the route yet. This will be definitely sorted in the next couple of weeks and will keep you posted. Can you PM me you address or very nearby and I’ll see where that takes me. Cheers Ian 👍😁

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

11 hours ago, Simon Bateman said:

We have driven through Switzerland quite a few times in recent years and always order the vignette before we go. That said, there is a booking fee, which might be avoided if you obtained locally. The Swiss border staff checked our group for vignettes.

Motorway vignettes are now also available online (no more sticker on the windscreen)

https://www.ch-vignette.com/en/

Neil

• Like 1

Some inspiration from my playlist:

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

9 hours ago, Neil D. said:

Motorway vignettes are now also available online (no more sticker on the windscreen)

Neil

I'll have a look at this for the next trip. I must admit that I don't like anything with auto renewal, although I appreciate that it can be cancelled if not required.

On 09/04/2024 at 05:01, Neil D. said:

Neil

Cheers Neil i ordered one today  plus Italy tag 

On 09/04/2024 at 13:24, TBD said:

Some inspiration from my playlist:

Looks great can't wait 

On 07/04/2024 at 07:37, Bibs said:

A few hints here for you... 👍

Cheers Bibs 

On 08/04/2024 at 17:09, Simon Bateman said:

Speeding is a massive issue in Switzerland. They have a zero tolerance policy and cameras are set to the exact figure. Personally I don't enjoy the motorways because of that.

Regarding food prices.....last summer we stopped at a Hotel on Lake Constance and found a nice Pizza place with an outside terrace just a street back from the lake. It was very similar to UK prices there. Roughly a fiver for a large draft beer and about £15.00 for a very large pizza. I think it pays to check the prices before sitting down as it clearly varies greatly between regions etc.

Thanks 

Beeing from Switzerland, just check https://www.alpen-paesse.ch/de/ if passes are open.  The higher ones (Susten, Furka, Grimsel, Nufenen) could be still closed in June.

Don't go on Weekends. Go early or late if you want do enjoy 😉

Police is present, specially on all Canton Bern Passes (Susten, Grimsel), so don't over do it..

Beside the known Mountain Passes, the Canton of Jura and Appenzell offers some nice smaller roades too...

Enjoy!

And yep, prices for everything are high 😉

• Like 1
For the few who know the difference