Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Issues with Camera Side Mirrors - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Issues with Camera Side Mirrors

Anyone having any issues with the camera side mirrors? I wasn't particularly bothered about these but couldn't wait for my car to be delivered so bought a pre-spec'd car that had these & I really like them. However I have had one blue screen of death on the drivers side which corrected itself after a couple of hours but this morning both screens blue. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've got the camera mirrors, and I've had no problems at all with them.

Loss of mirrors sounds quite scary. 

I'd get that booked in as a safety issue.

I am going to be a real pedant here and ask why, just why, would you want all that extra technology for camera mirrors when good old fashioned mirrors have been a well proven, cheap, and reliable "go to" for well over a hundred years?  Isn't this now just getting a bit silly?

I looked at a Lexus the other day, and it had screens, about the size of an average smart phone these days, one at either end of the dash for the "mirrors". It had some stupid looking stalks outside of the car.  Just absolutely pointless, in my very humble opinion. See below, and I'd love to know "why" this is becoming a fad.

image.jpeg.e89ea52cd6d79381fbacbe6f779d7d6b.jpeg

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

"because we can."  Ludicrous.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I noticed the same on most of the new HGVs on the M1 last week. As there still needs to be an arm on the outside of the vehicle to hold the camera this just seems like pointless tech to me. Unless the screen ‘mirrors’ can do something clever and useful that traditional mirrors can’t?

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

They have wider fields of view, no blind spots, some have night vision. 

Why do we have phones when we can write to each other? Tech moves on. 

Look at the electronic mirrors on lorries, they're pretty much a revolution in terms of safety. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Lorries I get @Bibs, but cars? Come on now, your argument is thin and tenuous surely?

Not sure of the real "need" for night vision either in something that is looking backwards when you already have cameras for parking.

It's just another example of technology for technologies sake which uses up more resources, adds weight and sophistication, etc.

But hey, the way things are going in 10 years they'll be no "drivers" of new cars as the tech will fully take over and we'll all just be passengers.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

@C8RKH the grandsons and their friends think it’s awesome when they are sitting in the Eletre and looking at the screen they can “see” people walking in close proximity to the car and, cars passing/parked up that we pass; they certainly prefer watching the screen than playing eye spy. So for an expensive gimmick it certainly allows whoever is driving to concentrate on the road. And yes we have the normal mirrors.

Good or bad I’ll let others be the judge 

The above maybe off subject………..

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

But hey, the way things are going in 10 years they'll be no "drivers" of new cars as the tech will fully take over and we'll all just be passengers.

They'll need foam :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

And, of course, the three seashells.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I have to say - the anger at cameras is unusual.

I was very sceptical at first but they are far, far better than mirrors.  

Greater field of vision, at night they are very significantly better at allowing you to see what’s behind as they reduce glare and give you the image as opposed to reflecting headlight into your eyes.

They have greater vision when reversing and image changes instantly for kerb view as opposed to waiting for motors to mechanically move.

Less wind noise, better aero.

They don’t get dirty like a regular mirror in wet/winter conditions.

I now get into other cars and go - this isn’t as good.  Same as Ferrari steering wheel - stalks and controls which aren’t on steering wheel are awful after you have them all ‘under your thumb’ as it were.

• Like 2