Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil Leak in lower camhousing / improving the engine ? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil Leak in lower camhousing / improving the engine ?

Hi,

i tryed to seal the lower cam housing several times.

I tried different glues.

Its always the same result.

On some or the other place its always leaking oil after a few minutes. I can see the Loctite creating small leak bubbles with drpping oil out of it.

So my theoriy why this happens is. i believe there a over pressure in the cam housing. In the intake cam housing the over pressure can be released through the engine breather which is connected to the air box. But in the lower cam housing there is no breather. Is this an engineering mistake?

Would it be beneficial to weld in an adapter for an engine breather here aswell?

What is our expertiese orthoughts on that?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is this the joint between the cam housing and cylinder head, or the cam housing and its cover? 

There is no more pressure in the exhaust cam housing than the inlet cam housing - they are interconnected via the crankcase.

Pete

its dripping between the cam housing and cylinder head.

why is there a rocker cover breather at all when they are connected to the crank housing

?

If it's leaking from the cylinder head joint either the head or the cam housing is distorted, or there is some irregularity in one of the surfaces.  Is your car a later one that doesn't use a gasket?  What sealant are you using - I use Permabond A136.

Pete

20 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

In addition, the breather connector is normally at the top of an engine because condensation rises. In this case the inlet cam cover is the highest point and thus is ideal for the purpose.

Margate Exotics.

On 25/04/2024 at 11:06, EXCEL V8 said:

If it's leaking from the cylinder head joint either the head or the cam housing is distorted, or there is some irregularity in one of the surfaces.  Is your car a later one that doesn't use a gasket?  What sealant are you using - I use Permabond A136.

Pete

I used Würth Engine Sealant 1C recommended from Lotusbits.

On 26/04/2024 at 07:04, Chillidoggy said:

In addition, the breather connector is normally at the top of an engine because condensation rises. In this case the inlet cam cover is the highest point and thus is ideal for the purpose.

Ah ok

Looking at the specs for 1C engine sealant - it has a working time of 5 - 7minutes.  Are you getting it tightened down quick enough?  It's an epoxy resin.  I think I'd change to the Lotus recommended sealant before you go taking the head off for further investigation.  A136 is an anaerobic sealant - it gives you about 30 minutes to get it all tightened down.

Let us know how you get on Roman.

Pete

On 30/04/2024 at 19:39, EXCEL V8 said:

Looking at the specs for 1C engine sealant - it has a working time of 5 - 7minutes.  Are you getting it tightened down quick enough?  It's an epoxy resin.  I think I'd change to the Lotus recommended sealant before you go taking the head off for further investigation.  A136 is an anaerobic sealant - it gives you about 30 minutes to get it all tightened down.

Pete

ok. i will try that. i think i found another issue. one of the bolts in the corner is worn out and turning over.

On 30/04/2024 at 19:39, EXCEL V8 said:

Pete

thats funny. the glue does not harden ever. it stays chewing gum like even after heating the engine.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

The smoking gun.  Well, except for the questionable sealant.

The bolt won't be worn; it'll be the cylinder head thread.  Time for thread inserts.

i guess so yes