Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Work, life and work with your kids - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Work, life and work with your kids

• Gold FFM

I am now back to working more and more. It’s been gentle after such a time resetting and I have deliberately stayed away from the big contracts and retreated into the small job area for a while.

It was always the plan to take it easy until the youngest has finished her A levels which are in May/June. But - we are now very nearly there. Danny is now 19, 20 next month, and last year expressed an interest to become a qualified sparks. There are options for him to do this, one being an apprenticeship - however as mad as it my seem after 4 years down that route he completing one - it does not give you the qualifications to register with any of the competent persons scheme. Over the last 9 months or so he has been completing the appropriate C&G courses that he requires and has one left and his practical portfolio to complete.

The one main contractor I have worked alongside has always said to me to come back when I am ready - they have been great in that regard and July was always the plan this year. So - a couple of weeks ago I get a call to ask can I do another for birds in date of late July. A good sit down with the kids and yes is the answer from Alice whom with her exams pending has the choice as it will mean me being away a few days at a time over some of her exam times.

This week we have started. First job is to install the lighting so the concrete guys don’t need to concrete in the dark. Over the last couple of days (WED/THUR) we have worked flat out and Danny has been an absolute trooper. He was every bit as good as my buddy whom used to do these jobs with me but has now sadly retrenched to an office role. 360m of conduit up, 48 light termination boxes up and all wired, 12 lights fitted and we are awaiting the delivery of the remaining 36 lights.

I went into this job anxious and a bit frightened - but we arrived home yesterday lunchtime and I am absolutely buzzing with enthusiasm, confidence and excitement. What an amazing week we have had with some more routine service work at the start of the week as well.

LIFE IS EPIC GUYS 🥳🥳🥳

Anyone else bringing their kids into their work life and how do you find it?

03278A79-07FA-483E-A700-1F549A6C4A9D.jpeg.8c2c0e9b74df54c0b509274cc393a029.jpegIMG_3884.jpeg.3d23c20d0fd360cc4996dbc9b4592d64.jpeg

• Like 1

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice sheds, too good for birds, need some nice cars in there.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@Barrykearley funny you should say that, my son has been working for us for about a year mainly because he didn't know what he wanted to do and he never seemed in the slightest bit interested in doing anything electrical. He absolutely loves it, I got him a 2 week work experience at Bellway doing Quantity Surveying last Month and probably with a shoe in if he wanted it as one of my best mates is actually pretty high up in Bellway. Well he came back and said, Dad that is not for me I want to be a sparks. 

I was actually really pleased he did so he will start his apprenticeship in september. I have stuck him with some of the old school guys who actually know how to bend a bit of conduit and can fabricate stuff when the manufactured bits won't work. 

the only issue is i have noticed more and more of my power tools seem to have gone from the garage and into the back of his car 🤩

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Gold FFM

We had the remaining 36 lights arrive onsite yesterday. We got back up there for 1530 and by 2030 the lot were up and on 😎🥳IMG_3926.jpeg.a5e8aa578ef2d0a929e3435a3015ffc2.jpeg

I so wish I could have a garage like this 😂 - my planning guy is sorting out something a little bit more modest for me.

Only here once