Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Restoration of 837G electrics help needed - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Restoration of 837G electrics help needed

That is looking good.

I love an electrical challenge! Travel expenses might be a bit high though... Even with a sizeable 'gorgeous car' discount. 😉 

• Haha 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

If you have a look at any local mobile auto electrician and ask them to call by, you might get some decent support.

Theres a full schematic for the S2 I’ll dig out and send you over…..

Pity you're so far away, I was in the same position as you and struggled to find someone who could do the tricky things and add some new wiring upgrades.

In the end I found that things were not that complicated and with a rudimentary understanding of basic auto-electrics and soldering/crimping practise as applicable I was able to do the work myself.

What areas are causing you problems?

12 minutes ago, JonSE said:

Send me a message if you want this high res…

IMG_2793.jpeg

I think there's a minor error in that diagram, but obvious when you spot it.

Ooh, what error? 
It came from a forum member a while ago and I was going to use it on my own loom refurb….

I can't remember. I'd have to have a think. I seem to remember it was relatively trivial, and may involve an erroneous earth. It was obvious when I was looking at it. It may be the additional relays in the S2+ wiring that switch and provide power to the headlamps.

[ADDED] I can't post photos on here, but check the earthing of those two headlamp relays, one is missing I seem to remember. Pretty obvious when you spot it, and anyone who knows how a relay works wouldn't wire one without an earth. It is correct in the original B&W wiring diagram in the Lotus WSM.

The diagram originates from the US Lotus Talk forum, or Bill Galbraith's resource on HolyCows, which is who sent it to me years ago.

Edited by Fridge

I'm somewhat vague on this by now as it was some time ago that I worked through. That said I suspect David @Fridge may be on the mark with regard to the headlamp lift control relays. Lord, the H/L control system is something with which to reckon.

• Like 1

Indeed, one of the earths is missing. As said, not that big a mistake as you'd notice it when wiring for real.

@Alistair Enser I wasn't just kidding, I never need much persuasion to take a trip to UK. So if you can't find a solution closer by, let me know. 😉 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 4 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Hi All,

It's been a while - had lots of other distractions over the summer. Electrics are nearly complete , but it seems that my ignition switch is mechanically faulty ( won't turn to trigger starter motor ) 

Does anyone have an esprit S2 ignition switch or know where I might source one ? 

Thanks 

Ali

Explore SJ or Rimmer Brothers for a replacement switch, though I recall @Lotusfab has posted some measure of dissatisfaction with one purchased recently. In a pinch one may add a momentary push button switch located to be readily operated.

Cheers

On 17/09/2024 at 11:12, Alistair Enser said:

Hi All,

It's been a while - had lots of other distractions over the summer. Electrics are nearly complete , but it seems that my ignition switch is mechanically faulty ( won't turn to trigger starter motor ) 

Does anyone have an esprit S2 ignition switch or know where I might source one ? 

Thanks 

Ali

I have a solution and implemented it on my S1 after repairing the switch more than once and have it break. I could not find a new four position switch, as per the original. Used ones are normally worn out and unreliable, I finally bought a new one from S and J sportscars, which fitted the steering lock perfectly - but was only three position. I found this very annoying. I came to realise the only solution was to get rid of position one.  The first position is Stereo and windows I combined this into position two and the switch works perfectly now and has never failed. 
Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Alistair Enser said:

Ah- I saw that but need the barrel and key part , not the electrics . The barrel of the ignition switch seems jammed :(

Ahh understood. It sometimes jams if the lock rotates on the steering column as the steering lock locates in a slot in the column. The bolts that hold the lock are break off.

they can be taken out by drilling or cutting slots for a screwdriver in the head.

first thing to do is check the steering lock button is fully out beneath the lock. Wiggling the wheeL and gently tuning the key can free it. You need to remove the whole lock if you can’t free it in situ. Very unlikely the lock is not serviceable. The electrical part can also jam The lock. Try removing the electrical bit. Probably an easy fix if you know how.