Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
General election July 4th - Page 5 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

General election July 4th

pete

I take a more philosophical view Michael. If she has paid her dues and moved to Spain for the twilight of her life then I am absolutely fine with her coming back. She has likely paid into the system all her life before she moved.

However if she moved over there mid 20's and paid tax in Spain then yes, she should stay there for her healthcare. 

Wendy's dad moved back when he was 75 due to heart issues. He served his time in the Armed forces as an Aircraft technician and when he retired worked across the world for a British company servicing Aircraft always paying his dues in the UK. He retired at 65 and spent 10 years as a missionary in the far East and helped set up 2 Orphanages and was loved by everyone he met out there.

After coming back he had a heart attack and a stroke which brought on Dementia and died in February this year after a long and awful decline.

100% he deserved UK healthcare despite living abroad.

(And RIP Brian, you are missed).

• Like 2

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Lots of talk of promising to build more houses but no mention of more sewage works which needs doing before building more 

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

19 hours ago, pete said:

Lots of talk of promising to build more houses but no mention of more sewage works which needs doing before building more 

There are loads of new houses going up round Exeter (as elsewhere), and no one seems to consider the other needs of the community, schools GP's, dentists, local schools shops -  the list goes on. The main Exeter hospital is now normally so busy.

The guy next door to us works for National grid, they are now overloaded with very little  capacity for faults when they occur. Transformers used to be run at around 50% capacity our one is now running over 100% (seems strange..) New connections take ages.

On another tack, I see our PM as a child did not have Sky - ohhh how sad.....for one of the essentials for life...

I wonder if we will get any election leaflets or even a visit from any party.

It doesn't matter who you support or your leanings politically, violence against any politician should be considered as Intimidation and stamped down on really quickly.

The 2 incidents aimed at Nigel Farage recently are perfect examples of what happens when you don't. People need to know you can't assault a Politician because you disagree with their views.

The fact that the Jo Cox Foundation has come out to support Mr Farage is great and we need more on the Left shouting about this as Mr Farage always seems to be the Target! I'll be honest, I am away on holiday for the General Election and wasn't going to vote, but now I seriously consider a postal vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cx008dw7g5lo

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

On 09/06/2024 at 07:57, Timbotucker said:

Anyone who votes either red or blue deserve exactly what’s coming down to them 🤷🏻‍♂️, different cheeks of the same backside…

And in your considered opinion, who should "we" vote for and why?

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 09/06/2024 at 17:22, DDubya said:

The Greens are fielding candidates in every constituency across the uk.

It was really something to see, in the EU elections this past week, the vote for "Green" parties tumble and stumble, all across Europe.

The "Right" is on the march across Europe. Not the Far Right Fascists, but the Right.

A lot of this is being driven by young people, which is a shocker to me, as they start to realise the costs of the Green agenda, and, complain about mass immigration which is restricting their job opportunities, housing chances, etc.

It's funny, but to people like Greta, the financial cost of the shite we spouts is not an issue. She has grown up as the child of highly successful millionaire parents and has never really had to work for, nor wanted, for anything. Therefore the impact of her words on cost of living, jobs, opportunities etc was never a thought, let alone an after thought.

It seems that at a time when the UK is shifting to centre left, Europe is moving further to centre right, and individual country interests around immigration, security, defence, etc, are now more important to many in  Europe than the EU bureaucracy. Interesting times indeed.

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Not that I would ever vote for them, but the Greens just lost my vote in a major way.

Infact I think I want to campaign against them, not just for anyone else, but just cause they are so shit for me and my family!

Raise taxes for over £50k wages

Capital Gains Tax massive increase by 20% for me

Carbon tax on businesses will kill our business

Kill Petrol & Diesel cars within 5 years and tax older petrol cars (like Ours) to a point where they are no longer economically viable 

Encourage less of a work ethic by paying substantially more for much less work (living wage, 4 day week etc) and support those who don't work.

And these are just some of their policies!

I don't think the Greens are even on the same planet? They will stifle growth, kill any form of entrepreneurship, destroy most of our industry, force anyone with money out of the country, destroy everyones pensions and marginalise anyone who works for a living.

It's like their policies have been written by petulent teenagers who have never worked a day in their lives! 

On 10/06/2024 at 22:27, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Media focusing on high house prices etc today. BBC 10 o’clock News interviewed a couple in their low 40s. I don’t think they had kids. They earn £30k each, so £60k in total. Paying £1000 per month rent + £100 per week food shopping, so total essential living outgoings of £17,200 per year. Even after tax and NI, that leaves about £25k per year for other purchases. How can they claim that they are unable to save up for the deposit on a house? What are they spending it all on? Rather than moaning, they should get that deposit down, buy a house and put that £1000 per month rent towards their mortgage.

Both my kids earn less than £30k a year, probably around the £25-28k mark.

They both have bought a house (my daughter in the Midlands, my son in Scotland) and are able to live, pay their mortgage etc, and don't seem to be especially stuggling. They're both single and do not fritter away their money - my daughter bought a 2nd hand Dolce Gusto capsule coffee machine as she hates paying £4+ for a chain shop coffee for instance. She makes her own iced frappe cappuccino whatever it is, in her reusable drink cup thingy, for around 20p a go..... 

My son has wanted a new car for the past 12 months, so got himself a cash in hand bar job, and he's saving up for the car.

My daughter loves to travel, so she works shifts, as a second job, to pay for her travel Granted as she works for BA she gets cheap flights, but so far this year she flew out to Houston for the weekend to see a band, she bought tickets and went to see Taylor Swift in Mexico. She's currently on holiday in the Seychelles. She works bloody hard, but, in her own words, "I'm living my best life".

That couple are frittering away £2k per month, when they could be saving at least £1k a month, £12k a year, or £60k in 5 years. That puts some perspective into it...

On 11/06/2024 at 06:49, Bibs said:

£1,000 per month at 4.5% is a loan of £175k or thereabouts. Not sure there are many places in the country priced that low nowadays, the UK average house price is £282k at the moment (eg 8 times the average salary of £35k). 

Look further than the south east of England @Bibs and the world is your oyster.

My daughter's house in Rugby, was £140k. My son's three bed house in Dundee was £134k.

My mothers lovely cottage in Cheshire, only 2 bedrooms but oodles of charm and character, with a large garage and lovely garden for kids would go for around £130k.

There is a world, in the UK, outside of the South East of England..... ;)

The small print.

20 hours ago, pete said:

We just don't invest in infrastructure in the UK Pete, any more. We still mostly rely on the amazing job the Victorians did in building for the future.

20 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Just an excuse for developers to build on farmland, cram in yet more houses onto smaller plots, and charge an extortionate price for a poorly built house on a badly planned, congested, site.

FTFY

13 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

I don't think the Greens are even on the same planet? They will stifle growth, kill any form of entrepreneurship, destroy most of our industry, force anyone with money out of the country, destroy everyones pensions and marginalise anyone who works for a living.

For an example of what you say, look at what the Greens, in power, in Scotland have done to us up here. Everything you say, has come true. It's been a monumental disaster, even by Scottish government standards which is quite dismal to start with.

The small print.

18 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

There is a world, in the UK, outside of the South East of England..... ;)

I do concurr with what Andy says @Bibs I can still buy a 4 bed detached place here in Norfolk for £400k, which when you get close to London costs £800k. And Apartments cost £150-200k.

2 bed semi £220k so deposit of 10% its not far off the £175 you mentioned.

If I go to Lincolnshire it drops £100k.

Some of my dads friends retired Ooooop North and even from here in Norfolk where houses are cheaper than the South, they saved 50% of their house cost.

@Kimbers and @Bibs - bear in  mind that that £282k is the "average" UK price. As a young, first time, buyer, I would not be expecting to move straight into an "average" house. Or, maybe that is the issue these days as people want it ALL RIGHT NOW!

My first house was a 2 bed terraced, fixer upper. I bought it when my wage was £4,500 and the house cost me £24k. My girlfriend's salary of £3k helped us out.

But then it needed replastering, new wood work, new doors, etc etc etc....

It would seem that some young people these days want to move straight into the average house, with little effort, etc etc.

I did have one young lady in my team, her hubby was a chippy, they were both around 27, and had bought and renovated two houses and were moving on to their third. They both did this on top of their full time jobs and were building a nice life for themselves. 

The small print.

• Gold FFM

@C8RKH this is what’s so unfair in society - I mean why should people have to put in the effort - it’s all the fault of the rich and normal folks should of course be allowed to buy a lambo uras and have a 5 bed house without the stress and hassle of working 🤣

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

Did notice Rishi getting out of an Audi at Silverstone for the launch of their manifesto,  previous PM's used to make a point of normally being seen in a British car!

14 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Which cars are truly “British” these days?

Caterham. At a push, Murray Cars.

Cannot think of an other.

Aston is owned by a Canadian

Bentley is German owned

JLR is Indian

Vauxhall is French

Westfield is gone.

McLaren is Arab owned.

Lotus is Chinese.

London Taxi's are Chinese.

MG is Chinese.

Sunak wouldn't want to be in a JLR, as although it is Indian owned, by Tata, Tata is a major competitor to his father in laws business, Infosys.

The small print.

Personally the actual ownership is not my issue, it is more where it is made(well assembled) in England (or at a push Scotland/Wales/NI).

They make some lightly armoured vehicles just NE of Exeter.

Fair point re where they are made.

So Lotus ICE = OK. But not their EV's which are all made in China and therefore would be subject to the new tariff.

So which EV's are made in Britain, regardless of who owns them?

The small print.

According to an article I found... may be a  couple of years out of date....

UK Built Electric Cars
  • Nissan Leaf. Europe's favourite EV comes from the heart of Sunderland, in the same plant Nissan builds the Qashqai and Juke crossovers. ...
  • Aston Martin Rapide E. ...
  • Bentley Bentayga Hybrid. ...
  • Toyota Corolla

and of course the Evija - mine still has not arrived - I wonder why.

• Like 1

Fact Checking of the Greens and, as normal, their ability to figure out matching their policies with Reality are lacking  and  would hit lower earners.

"Institute for Fiscal Studies deputy director Helen Miller said the Greens were unlikely to raise as much revenue as expected.

"Overall borrowing would end up around £80 billion a year higher," she said, adding a recurrent wealth tax would be tough to implement and “would hit a lot of workers on not terribly high salaries - many nurses and teachers for example."

And how, on earth, do they plan this? Surely 200 people flying in one plane is better than 200 people using their cars cause the train ain't gonna work!!

"Banning domestic flights for journeys that take less than three hours by train."

7 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Last week Government ministers were boasting that our economic growth was as high as any of the G7 countries. Today we find out from the ONS that there actually isn’t any growth at all. :rofl:

April was hardly representative of what is actually happening,weather was awful, better to look at 3 monthly Feb. To April. It rose 0.7%

hindsight: the science that is never wrong