Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dash Binnacle Creaking/Squeaks 1990 SE - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Dash Binnacle Creaking/Squeaks 1990 SE

Hello all!  Im new to the forum and am a 8 year owner of a 1990 Esprit SE (pics attached) which was always my childhood dream car....  I have poured lot of love into the car over the past several years (most recently complete interior leather redo), and am just now working through a few annoying niggles that have always plauged it.  #1 would be the creaking/squeaking/rubbing/rattling sound that seems to emminate from the dash binnacle while going over bumps, turning, and just regualar spirited driving.  Seems to be coming from the area where the raised binnacle attaches to the main dashboard.  Is this something you all have experienced and any way to fix?  Seems like maybe placing some sort of plastic/rubber shims under the left and right edges where it rests above the main dash may work?   The whole thing flexes a little while driving.....

Thank you all, and any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I'm sure there will be more, but starting with this, as fixing this issue will be a huge improvement !

Steve

2018-10-06593.jpg.57ab102914c34c638952f412988e60bf.jpg

2018-10-06563.jpg

2018-10-06568.jpg

2018-10-06589.jpg

Edited by LOBS76
  • Like 2

First off, have you got yourself a copy of the Lotus Service Notes and the parts manual for your car? If not, highly recommended, and will save you a lot of time.

As for the binnacle cover, have a look in the aforementioned parts manual, and that will show you if there is any cushioning between the dash and the cover, which I believe is the case. Leather on leather can be the issue.

Margate Exotics.

A good place to start is tightening the attachments between the chassis and body. This will minimize flexing and the associated noises.

There are the 'famous' creaking noises from sloppy bolts in the rear bulkhead, and there are also vertical bolts in the 'frunk' and horizontal bolts under the footwells.

Sheet 10-03A - 10.05A of the Parts List shows the fixing bolts in question. We have needed to tighten ours more than once during our ownership.

+++++++++++

Regards the binnacle noise, you need to "assume the Lotus position" and torque the four bolts holding the binnacle to the dash.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Thank you guys for the advise.  Will get on it!  I do not have the service notes and parts manual, I have been using a local shop, but I think some of this I can do myself....  Can you point me to where these may be available?

I appreciate the help!

• Gold FFM

The parts manual can be found on this forum if you become a full forum member or try deroure lotus.

It’s only metal, it cannot win!

Graham - https://parts.bellandcolvill.co.uk/deroure

A quick peek at the parts manual shows there is sponge cushioning between the instrument panel and the binnacle cover, A082U6065V. It is listed "As Required" which in Lotus-Speak basically means stick it where you think it should go.

And they show 'binnacle anti-rattle foam' inside the binnacle cover, A079V6OlOV.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Thanks Ian, I’m useless  at posting links.

I have a lump of foam between the bottom of the binnacle and the radio/hvac console leather trim which is factory fit. I just checked the parts manual and there is no mention of the piece of foam. 🤷‍♂️

I had a similar creaking sound on my 88 N/A X180. A mechanic placed a small bit of foam around the bolts that attach the binnacle to the dash and problem solved. 

Great looking car BTW.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

From the pictures Ian it looks like an SE. The binnacle and the instruments come out as one, not like on the S4s where the binnacle cover can be removed leaving the instruments in situ.

• Gold FFM

Much easier than the later screen-shattering cover removal!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

The S4s binnacle can be removed complete with instruments but not without removing the binnacle cover first so you can get to the electrical multi-plugs and the nuts that secure it. 

I just looked at the SE parts manual, it looks like a very similar arrangement to me. How is it released?

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

4 long bolts from underneath, if memory serves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
1 minute ago, Sparky said:

4 long bolts from underneath, if memory serves.

And a good portion of the ‘lotus position’

• Gold FFM

Is your car equipped with S.I.R? If it is it looks like the binnacle cover maybe able to be removed while leaving the instruments in place if it is. Please reference the vin numbers from the top right of the parts page to help ascertain weather yours is a S.I.R equipped model.

A7A5E637-6A8F-44C6-9616-6618584B203B.jpeg

5DC88628-77A3-4A76-9DB3-DC4F3C4AC7F4.jpeg