Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2008 Le Man Classic - Regions & Events - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

2008 Le Man Classic

mayevora

• Gold FFM

Been in conversation this evening re attending this event next year. This event only happens every other year, but always has a good rep. Went to the 24 hour this year in a group of 9 and will definately repeat, but fancy the classic next year.

Who has been before and what were the experiences/comments compared to the 24 hour?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been in conversation this evening re attending this event next year. This event only happens every other year, but always has a good rep. Went to the 24 hour this year in a group of 9 and will definately repeat, but fancy the classic next year.

Who has been before and what were the experiences/comments compared to the 24 hour?

Sorry I can't help you with any answers to this one. But I would love to attend this. I am sure we could round up a couple of cnadidates and make this a real event.

Stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

I/we're going again.....went with Cheshire Lotus Owners Group 2004 and 2006

camping at maison blanche....excellent craic with plenty of beer and food :-)))))

going again with them in 2008.........

convoy all the way from cheshire picking people up on the way so youre more than welcome to come with us....

will check on dates and crossing times......we usually do the over nighter from portsmouth to caen

cheers

G

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Hi,

Iam going next year with Alan Croft and his missus. We may book ourselves but have never been before. We may also tag onto the Club Lotus NW group or the Nyloc group which are both going to classic Le Mans

Which ferry would you use and how much would this be to take car and one passenger? Also I have a spare seat going. Asked the missus last night if she wanted to go but by the look on her face, she clearly isn't interested.

Dave Walters

Great event! Went in '03 with the S2 and saw 1 other Esprit in the carpark and a friend with his Exige. The Club Lotus France stand had about 40 cars and 1 Esprit...

Still an experience I would recommend to anyone especially if you are a classic car lover and the noise...the noise...dribble...

Cars back then sounded so much better than they do now!

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I went in 2006 and it was a great event. Ann & I booked very late with Calendar Classics(le Mob) who Club Lotus use.

The tickets were for the two days at the circuit including access to the middle of the circuit where all the classic cars are allowed and full access to the paddock on both days. other events are organised for the evenings (BBQ & wine tasting etc). The guest house accommodation was excellent.

You organise your own way down to Le Mans. I went via Portsmouth to St Malo. It would be nice to go down in a group arranging a meeting place for those who go via Dover.

I am open to suggestions. I will be going next year no matter what happens.

Dave

I decided I was going in 2008 about 3 minutes into the 2006 event. Didn't camp, but stayed in a village about 1 hour out of Le Mans out of necessity as everything else was booked solid. However will do the same again this year as the b&b was so nice and the driving on practically deserted roads.

The French Club Lotus guy was very welcoming and invited our cars onto the stand for the last day, however I decided against it after being warned of the damage some display cars were risking. I actually saw 2 track "officials" damage a parked Morgan with a carelessly parked scooter and then leg it past the aghast onlookers to lose themselves in the crowd.

The only thing that might spoil it is the crowds which were huge on the Sunday. If it doesn't clash with Goodwood again and we are deluged with "rosbif" scum it could be worse.

It was also really poor for food and drink amazingly, in past years it was close to the main 24hrs event and the vendors stayed on, but last time food stalls were almost non-existant. Hopefully they will have learned, but looking at the dilapidated concrete viewing terraces which haven't changed since the 50s the pace of change is slow with the ACO!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I also went on 2006 and decide after 2min that I'll be there every time (wich happens every two years)!!!

We had the oportunity to enter the track and do a few laps with lots of cars...and we enjoy it a lot!!!

(enjoy the video, during 18min, I was with my S2 exige)

Franky at Le Mans Classic

My plan is to have the Esprit ready for that, but the engine and gearbox just went off today to be checked/rebuild and there are a lot of things still to do...so will see if I've got enaugh time (and money) to make it happen!!!

:thumbup:

Franky

Lotus Exige S2

Lotus Esprit S2 JPS #27 -restoration process-

• Gold FFM

Nice Video Franky. Watched all of that - fantastic collection of vehicles from all era's. Couldn't see your Exige being overtaken much though :thumbup:

The more I see and hear, the more likely I'll be there me thinks.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Really looking forward to this.

Am awaiting some details from the organiser of our local club NYLOC.

Can't wait to hear the engine sounds of the classic V8's hmmmmm.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

So it looks like there are a few of us planning / wanting to go.

So how about us organising this as a forum thing? Bibs, ideas?

It would be great if we could properly arrange the convoy as it comes across the country and down to the ferry, then into France, what a blast. Also would be good to sort out the accomodation together / near to everyone else. Then with some local knoledge / planning for a route would be great to get on some of those fabulous roads over there.

I would be willing to help out with this, but I have not been before and my French is a bit on the poor side.

stuart.

Driving Automotive Aristocracy Since 2004

I do the main Le Mans event every year but also fancy the Classic. If its an LEF thing I would be interested.

Dave,

I always go Dover Calais as this means more driving, and you always end up hooning with some interesting stuff. I never pay more than a 100quid return for the ferry, I recommend Speed Ferries. Ferry fares are usually based on the size of the vehicle not the number of occupants, the ticket usually covers upto 5 in one car.

Ian,

I told you, you would be hooked. Its like a drug you can't get out of your system.

Oh God, I've just thought this could mean 3 trips to Le Mans next year, as I've promised Gina we will do the French Moto GP. Think that will be in the Vectra though.

I know it's early days but anyone considering the main event should Google club Valan. First class camping, toilets and everything.

Went with these at the last Classic http://www.callanderclassic.com/

Stayed at the Chateau just outside the circuit with a mini bus run convenience.

You can camp or stay in a room.They provide everything apart from a sleeping bag - nice people to deal with too. :welcome:

I have to ask myself - 'do I feel lucky'?

I like what Tony suggests. Would prefer to stay in a Chateau or hotel. Tried camping in 2004 and found the facilities lacking to put it mildly. You have to think about the cars too and hard parking is better than muddy fields. Would anyone else agree that eurotunnel has to be a good prospect as you can stay with the car and not be squeezed in with old bangers!

Brendan

Might be interested in this depending on cost and being avaliable etc having camped at 24hr for the last 3 times some slight more lux accomodation may be tempting.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Would anyone else agree that eurotunnel has to be a good prospect as you can stay with the car and not be squeezed in with old bangers!

If you're not in a tearing hurry there's only one way to cross the channel IMO. Go by P&O ferry and as soon as you've boarded make a beeline for Langans Brasserie on the top deck where you can enjoy an excellent silver service breakfast/lunch whilst enjoying the views and avoiding the great unwashed. Superb!

Don't tell me they're serving better fare than fry ups and burgers now!!! I agree the ferry is a more relaxing way to cross but would worry about my baby rolling around below decks! Heard stories about handbrakes not being applied - it's called esprit paranoia! Just thought I'd share my preferences.

Cheers

Brendan

No need to worry bout the ferry Brendan, I have taken my GT3 to Le Mans for the last three years and no Problem, around these dates the crew get very worried as their ships tend to be full of Lambo's TVR's, Astons etc with very careful owners. As for Camping I agree that the official campsites are ok if you dont want to wash or go to the bog for 5 days, on the other hand a hotel Chateau loses some of the atmosphere for me. I will see if Club Valan are doing the classic next year, and if they will do us a group rate, posh camping with security an full hospitality!!

• Gold FFM
Would anyone else agree that eurotunnel has to be a good prospect as you can stay with the car and not be squeezed in with old bangers!

Brendan

It is for most Brendan but adds another 300+ miles to my trip.

Fast Cat ferry from Poole to Le Mans last year no probs.

I've been in touch with the organisers, here's where we're at so far...

We propose to the clubs an exclusive offer which allows you to enter into the Bugatti area with your cars. You will be a part of the show, that the public appreciate very much. This offer includes the best accreditation (paddocks access, general entrance). Other activities are proposed as a club party, picnic basket, helicopter or race track with your car. Everything is described in the entry form.

The entry form is on it's way, I'll post more details when I have them :)

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

It seems a lot of people went in 2006 but never met each other. From Somerset to Dover is 260 miles. Portsmouth is only115 so it will be my option for crossing, probably overnight. I dont mind driving out of my way in France to pick up a convoy and it would be great to all stay in the same place. (At my age I dont fancy camping & accommodation in France is very good value for money) I will probably go over a day earlier and return a day or two later. So picking up a group of esprit drivers to follow will be a pleasure. From my experience in 2006 Arnage was a great place to be near, as there were plenty of cafes, restaurants & bars. People said the restaurant on the circuit was expensive, however Ann & I had an excellent 3 course lunch with a bottle of wine for no more than the average restaurant in England.

I look forward to hearing more Bibs & I will take tools, swarfega and a towrope in case of any one having mechanical problems.