Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Film Appreciation Society - Page 23 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Film Appreciation Society

Paul C

Kingsman. Surprisingly one of my films of the last 12 months. Exciting action, brilliant storyline, acting was excellent and it was also very funny at the right time!

Absolutely loved every second of it 9.5/10

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• 1 month later...

3rd Hunger games.....decidedly MEH 5/10

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

Watched Cinderella yesterday with the kids..... I guessed the ending!!!

But the blue Persian cat was the real star - one of the wife's breeding cat kittens from a couple of years ago..........

Only here once

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New Avengers Movie.

Really enjoyed it. Sad the current team are finished :( 8/10

Saw Mad Max: Fury Road this thursday, and was genuinely blown away. I'm a huge fan of the originals (especially The Road Warrior) and can say that George Miller delivered with gusto. He's worked in elements of all three of his earlier trilogy into the new one which makes it feel familiar, while the cinematography and screenplay trump anything from any of the original films - the lack of Mel Gibson aside, I'd say the latest is the best of the lot. 

The way he presents and develops certain characters is also quite refreshing in that he isn't afraid to march to the beat of his own drum and disregard "Hollywood ethics" when need be. Lastly (this has been spoken about to some degree) but he deserves kudos for casting a particularly strong female lead in the movie and creating a character who the viewer can respect on her own merits rather than her physical appearance (and it would have been easy to rely on the latter considering it's Charlize Theron....).

I strongly recommend it. 9/10. 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I just finished American Sniper. This man was something else.

His funeral was bigger than you can imagine.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

San Andreas.

No actual story. It's not as if you don't know what's going to happen. Special effects ok.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Jurassic World - on par with "The Lost World" (make of that what you wish) - ticked all the right boxes in my book.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• 1 month later...

New Jurassic Park: For plot see old Jurassic Park. Enjoyable but nothing new. 6/10

I find this difficult to mention..............

Watched "Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles" last night and........oh dear.......I really enjoyed it. Now, in my defence it was after half a bottle of Whiskey, but I thought it was enjoyable, if a little predictable. 7/10.

Also watched "Last Knights" with Morgan Freeman and Clive Owen. Rip roaring fantasy romp that was slow to get going but a good movie nonetheless. 7.5/10

• 1 month later...

OH.............MY............GOD! Vin Diesel, Frodo, "I only told you to blow the bloody doors off", and "You know nothing Jon Snow" all in one movie!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

San Andreas with the Rock, "Dwaine "I didn't think about the plot" Johnson".

I...............oh.

We............hmmmm.......

Spoiler alert (not that you will want to see it after this)

Lost for words. What a complete and utter load of Shity, crappy, time wasting, nacker hurting, knob poop! Not only did they destroy my idea that any disaster movie is good as long as the special effects are up to standard, they hacked and cut till the movie was just plain ridiculous.

Premise is that the Rock is a hero Helicopter pilot with the LA search and rescue. When there is a world shattering earth quake of a magnitude "never seen before" first his wife and then his daughter need rescueing. Great! Sounds good. Only it's not. His character is ridiculous. How can you be a hero rescue pilot and leave all those people to die going for rescueing just your wife from the top of a building instead of multitudes? And just when you are really needed what do you do? Fly off in the Company rescue Chopper and go rescue just your daughter with your wife along for company! AND you crash the bloody thing because of your incompetence!!! Not only does that make you an awful human being, you would have been arrested on return and spent the rest of your days in prison for negligence! Not to mention the looting you do, stealing a bloody pickup and driving past people stranded on the road when you had plenty of space! Then....THEN....you give an old man your pickup, which is stolen and probably get him shot for stealing a truck!!

Add in the fact that at the beginning you say to a reporter about your rescue crew "We were a team in the middle east and Afghanistan and didn't want to split up the team, so here we are" then at the first opportunity you dump them and forget all about them!!!

Then, the movie makes it all worse by skipping over much of the destruction and millions of lives lost (including Kylie Bloody Minogue....you basteds!!!) and it's all yay! America is great, lets fly the flag from whats left of the golden gate bridge and cheer, despite the multi millions of people who have been killed. Many of who could have been saved by the Rock, if he hadn't been fixated on saving 2 people!!!

The disaster special effects are good but skipped over too lightly. After the Tsunami hits that literally wipes out most lives in San Francisco (even the high rises collapse) there's not a single body, and to make it doubly ridiculous, they rescue their daughter by driving a speed boat through the city, with masses of debris (how does the engine/prop not get damaged?) probably driving over survivors and drive it through a toughened glass sky scraper window......only the Speedboat is an INFLATABLE YOU IDIOTS!!! It would bloody bounce off ARGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

(minus) -10/10 a truly horrible experience  only livened up by my wife and myself laughing at the ridiculousness of the story and terrible acting. Only positive is that Kylie is in it, albeit briefly!

Edited by Kimbers

The Martian. A must see in 3D IMAX. Absolutely gorgeous to look at and a great movie from start to end. 9.5/10

On DVD/Sky Store: John Wick with Keanu Reeves. WOW! I really hadn't heard of the movie before and was considering waiting for it to go on cheapy but am glad I had a drink and ordered it to watch. What a brilliant action movie. Sure, it's not a thinker. Man's wife dies, last gift is a puppy. Puppy is killed by bad Russian mafia types, man is revealed as "Babbayaiga" The Boogieman. A legendary Hit man who retired to become a family man. Man goes after bad guys. Pretty simple but it's done in such a brilliant way and Keanu does his whole "emotionless killer" routine sooooo well. A definite for anyone who likes action and plenty of it. Slick, superb effects and a top notch 9/10

I did some more reading on "The Revenant" and I thought "this sounds familiar" and then it came to me that it's a remake of a film called "A man in the Wilderness" starring Richard Harris from 1971. (at least the theme as abandoned by his party and left for dead and then driven by revenge)  I wonder if this new film will have them towing a boat with a team of horses. It does look very interesting .

Have just watched the new Star Wars Trailer - wow - I am 13 again and I can't wait for Christmas (well December 18th anyway). Have been trying to arrange to see it in IMAX.

Ooooo - so excited    :blob fire::blob fire::blob fire::blob fire::blob fire:

• Like 1

Yep. Just bought 9 tickets for the premiere midnight session and another 4 gold class tickets for xmas eve. The movie looks kinda special. Will be interesting to see the age demographic on the first night. Probably a bunch of over weight 50 year olds with light sabers and '70s star wars t shirts. Errr..  That'll be me :-)

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017