Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
When will the Esprit Club come of age? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

When will the Esprit Club come of age?

arbell9

Hi All,

i have been thinking about the NEC show later in the year and thinking back to the Ally Pally Car shows too. It seems like we have plenty of willing volunteers and plenty of enthusiasm to show the esprit off.

What we do not have however is a stand worthy of the car! A bit like turning up to a black tie event in jeans! I am actually quite serious about this, please take a look at what the TVR car club can achieve with 7000 world wide members who pay an anual club membership of between

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'LL PUT MY MONEY TOWARDS THIS ALEX.

COUNT ME IN

Whatever you need.

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

• Gold FFM

Yup - you got my money too. Just say the word.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Could you confirm what everyone is asking for here :shock: ? Is it additional contributions to run events or a fundamental change in the way Club Esprit operates?

I have never understood why such small owner bases (like Lotus) end up with so many fractured clubs and groups, it's ridiculous but tragically you have to account for human nature, people wanting to do their "own thing", and the fact everyone has a different idea about what they expect from membership. I mean it would be nice to see more formal hosting at events, but frankly

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Let me elaborate Mark,

firstly, having a large club based on Louts ownership is already catered for, you would not be here if you were not interested in focussing on the esprit.

Why is riduculous for esprit owners to want to do their own thing. In fact all the events over the last few years are focussed on us and our cars. It is not really about us owning a lotus and owning Lotus esprit. It seems from your post that I could infer that you think we should do all activities through Club Lotus. In my view the model itself is worthy of its own club. I think the activity and membership of this forum would stand as good evidence supporting that view.

You say you want more formal hosting of events, well to be frank these things cost money. I am slowly getting the impression that esprit owners are tighter than a ducks arse in many respects.

People want better show stands and displays well, put the money. I mean everyone.

Where does

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Club Esprit originally Club LEW, with all membership fees going to LEW. Then Kato & Bibs got together (not like that!) and agreed to move to Club Esprit with some funds going to LEF as LEW had more than enough funds for its activities.

So any bitching dissatisfaction about LEW getting a share of the membership fees seem a bit silly as it used to get all of the membership fee. The alternative would be for Bibs to have set up another club, thus we'd have either had to join both or make a choice.

My point is, LEF is now getting a higher income than before, so please don't complain about LEW geting income from the same source.

Andy

• Gold FFM

I think we all need to be a bit careful/diplomatic when telling members where to put their funds. Overseas members for a start will possibly resent wishing to donate to a stand they will never get to see and each and every one of us will have a differing financial situation. I do agree with a lot of Alex's post but also say members should not be backed into a corner and made to feel uncomfortable about not agreeing.

My

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Many people here do contribute to club Esprit, even overseas members of the forum, however we have thousands of members and are in the low 100's for club esprit members. Likewise what Ian says is correct, they pay their basic membership to get discounts on parts and actively give to LEF because they appreciate the resource and love being a part of the site. Good for them.

To ask oversea's members for anything other than their club Esprit membership will be incorrect IMHO, like Ian says.

So where do we go. Voluntary contributions? Yes, and they're always greatly appreciated. Help with stands? Yes and it's always appreciated.

Should we expect to compete with the TVR club which charges all members money? No, Club Lotus do that and their stands look very professional and they are heavily backed....but ultimately a commercial concern.

This is a really tough one and I don't have an answer other than add in my 2 cents worth.

Some of us here give alot of time to LEF anyway. Bibs knows and appreciates that. However we are ultimately a free to join website and thats great and right.

Where it does fall down is when members get benefits and discounts etc for being a member of LEF without being a club esprit member. Thats just wrong and anyone getting those should feel ashamed and pay their measily

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Firstly Andy , this is not a bitching thread, its a legitimate question of if we are going to show cars properly as a club then how the hell do we pay for it? The current system is not going to do it.

Who is going to stump up the

Edited by Alex --GT3--

Out of interest where would all this stuff be stored.

Having set up and disassembled the PNM stand at donny a few times it takes both time and space to do it. Also the transport too and from the event would need a van of some size.

I agree that it would be nice to have something like this and certainly would not shirk from any costs we may be looking at. However it will take up quite a chunk of garage space to store this stuff. Just a practical note on this really.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I have chatted with other mods on this subject and we are looking at Alex's suggestion. I will shortly be compiling a "shopping list" of things for an event display which will include things like storage of said equipment and also transportation.

Hopefully the shopping list will give us a target because at the moment no-one knows if we are talking

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Think the 358 will be ready around Sept... will be looking to build profile in the car for a year or so anyway.. had Coys on the phone this avo as I'm looking to sell eventually so I can buy into historics :shock:

It's alive.. alive!!!..

altimeter.gifsai.gif

Perhaps one option, if the software allows it, is to allow newbies/non-Club Esprit members a months free usage and if they haven't paid their subs to join the Club at the end of that month, then they are unable to access the site from then.

We certainly don't want to turn people away and after a month a person would know whether this was a Club for them or not. I currently pay to Club Esprit, Club Lotus and Club Lotus International and feel that each gives me something in return for my brass.

Alex's proposals could also see this Club moving from friendly-amateur to hard-nosed professional if not handled correctly.

I for one feel part of a friendly group of like minded souls. Hopefully that will not change. If people begin to feel that they no longer "belong" then they will vote with their feet and subs will not be renewed. Of the 3 Clubs mentioned above it is Club Esprit that I feel a closer bond with.

On that point, subs are

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

• Gold FFM

I appreciate that things like this can become acrimonious if mishandled, but my personal view is that I have, during only seven months of ownership and membership, extracted a wealth of benefit from here - and that's in addition to meeting some great people and having some wonderful times. Discounts and advice have already saved me maybe hundreds. So I'm happy to throw in a regular modest sum if it helps promote the marque. I'm sure it could benefit us all in the future.

Therefore, I'm ready to help with either cash or effort. It would give me great satisfaction to do so. I can understand the concern surrounding this, but what's wrong with keeping it purely voluntary? I'm a simple man...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

You say you want more formal hosting of events, well to be frank these things cost money. I am slowly getting the impression that esprit owners are tighter than a ducks arse in many respects.

People want better show stands and displays well, put the money. I mean everyone.

Alex

Hi,

I've read this thread with interest and I have said to Alex via PM that the idea and concept is good, but you do have to tread carefully when you start to step things up from a friendly group, to what will basically become a business, like Club Lotus. As an example and not cars, but I've been a member of the Norwich Star Wars club for some years now, and they run pretty much along the same lines as here - They have a monthly meeting, they organise events, they have a website, they own costumes, etc, etc., and all this needs money to run, but where does it come from, Especially as they can't charge to appear in SW costumes as it's George Lucas copyright! They hold events, fund raisers that are not Star Wars, the biggest one was a toy fair, it raised over

Edited by OwenGT3

You know where I'd rather see that money go ?

Into organising fun events and hoons - part of the reason why I've just fallen out of love with the car now is that I never really get to enjoy it as much as I used to (ironic really as it is running and looking the best it's ever done). One of the best days out I ever had was with Mike Ring, Bibs, Jason, Adam and Robin on that 1st hoon I went on - absolutly hilarious - it does seem to have faded away from that and it's real shame seeing as the cars are so good at it.

Fancy stands and talking about the car just bores me to utter tears - rather be out driving and then meeting up at the pub having a jolly conversation about "what about that corner !! Did you see that overtake !? He nearly shat himself !!!". I really have seen enough Esprits inside and out to not really see another display stand....if I want to talk to other people about it I just goto the nearest petrol station :shock:

I'm just kidding - I'm not bashing it, it's a great idea and it's good people are thinking about it in good light - but if that money were to go on people drawing up hoon routes, discounts on days out (anyone here a veteran of the Alton Towers run ??? absolute laugh a minute...) and getting the car out where it matters - on the road, it'd be much more for the contributers and less for showing off to other people. Track days is another - have we ever had a track day, airfiled day ? Nope, yes, there was one I can think of. Anyone remember the karting days ? Side splitting stuff. Rolling road day - list goes on. I'd pay BIG money for a club like that to organise.

You could quite fairly ask if it's so important to me why dont I organise it - well it's not my skill, same way as a lot of people here can't figure out which end of a hammer to use, I'm useless at organising and drumming up support (tried it in the past) esp when people don't bother and I lose my patience / enthusiams. How Bibs and Kato do it is beyond me but as I say we all have our uppers and downers.

Just my thoughts, I do admire all your enthusiasms though

Edited by Jonathan

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Wow! So much to read. Let me run through some things:

1. Alex. Please re-read my post matey. you say: "Why is it incorrect to ask overseas folks to pay for membership" I actually said: "To ask oversea's members for anything other than their club Esprit membership will be incorrect". I totally agree with you regarding club Esprit.

2. Jonathan: "Into organising fun events and hoons - part of the reason why I've just fallen out of love with the car now is that I never really get to enjoy it as much as I used to". Ok mate, but I've done 3 no....5 hoons this year including Donny and Castle Coombe (which was amazing) but I didn't see you at any of them. I'm really sorry for stating the obvious but if you come along you can enjoy the hoons! If you don't........ :shock:

3. Alex said: "This thread is about you lot out there giving your views on how you want this club to develop? So far >260 views but 6 replies." Yes and the very first reply from a non club Esprit member was Owen. I cannot and will not blame anyone or even include anyone who is a Club Esprit Member, in this conversation. Anyone who's gold pays their dues. If it's not enough then we have to look at it.

This leads on to my whole point:

4. Everyone who uses the wiki, gets help on the technical side, uses our discounts, attends our events should be a Club Esprit Member This is where we fall down. Please, non Club Esprit Members, don't get upset at me for stating the obvious. Like I said, if you use Hagerty and run an Esprit you only get the rate you do because of LEF's negotiation skills. If you buy parts from the factory, JAE, most independants you only get the price you do because of LEF's negotiation with the people involved. If you attend the Diamond anniversary you only go because lots of people involved with LEF are working behind the scenes to negotiate a stand/book a hotel/arrange a BBQ/arrange a sponsored Hoon etc etc.

PLEASE PAY YOUR CLUB ESPRIT MEMBERSHIP. If everyone paid we wouldn't be having this conversation. Thank you and goodnight! :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer