Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Help. Non Lotus Car trouble - UK - East Anglia - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Help. Non Lotus Car trouble

Kimbers

Guys. I was hoping one of you could pop over and have a look at my wifes car for me? We have a bad noise from the O/S front wheel when turning right and I'm worried about it being unsafe.

Is anyone free Saturday sometime?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it could be the CV joint Kimbers? If it is, get it packed with grease and the gaitor replaced, or sealed up depending on it's condition.

(but then again, best get a 2nd opinion, after all I've shown the world I know f' all about cars :wub: )

:santa::P

Twas only a joke m'lady. please taketh not personally lyke. :wub:

What is it with me and women at present? :cry:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

:santa: Beedin heck Laura......

Where did that masterful snippet of information come from????

Well suggested and great fix recommended.....

Seriously though, step away from the tech help room and do some knitting....! :wub:

Err...... Only joking Laura..... Please don't hit me...... Please don't tell Lisa or she'll hit me too :P

Chunky Lover

• Gold FFM

Come on Kimbers, don't be a tease - what kind of noise? Grating/rumbling/squealing? Can you type it phonetically?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Sort of a ....noise....oh I don't know thats why I'm asking for help innit! :santa: I would say it's more of a grinding. I thought when she said a noise it might be power steering but it sounds more like hub or brakes touching something as teh wheel turns. I thought Bearing but that would make the noise all the time not just on RH turns.

Thanks Owen. You have mail :wub:

• Gold FFM

Kimbers,

A wheel bearing can absolutely make a noise only while cornering and not constantly depending on the failure. Wheel bearings are tapered cup and cones bearings. If the failure is in a certain spot and the wheel bearing has sideways float, as you turn a corner and the car weight pushes into the wear area, you will get the noise. A CV will normally make the noise at any speed (forward or backward), whereas if you go slow enough a bearing failure most likely won't. May help you to eliminate one of those.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Hi,

I nipped over to Tony's this morning and helped him locate the offending noise, which was very easy to get to make. After going down the road for a drive I soon dismissed CV, we went to an industrial estate I drive the car in circles, no major clunks that would normally appear if a CV was worn. I did wonder if it could have been strut top squeaking, sometimes they can wear on the pivot top and make a noise but again this was eliminated as a cause because you could hear it was a rotation noise.

Back a Tony's I was reversing the car and the noise was appearing very loud, so we parked the car up and decided to jack the offending wheel up to check wheel bearing. Once up the noise could still be heard when spinning the wheel, I checked bearing for play, but was free of that. The conclusion I came to was it was the brakes, they needed servicing, they were perhaps dry, or a fragment of rust from the disc edge could be lodged in the caliper, this might be the cause and why it only does it on one lock, the pressure makes the noise when turning right, but the pressure on the fragment is released when turning left, it doesn't take much to make a noise and when it's amplified through the whole stub axle wheel assembly it can sound a lot worse than what the problem actually is.

So I told Tony it wasn't serious, no wheels dropping off, just a good brake service should sort the problem out. I did have a similar problem with my Esprit, it made a horrible noise when driving, but would disappear when braking. After finding the brakes didn't have any lubrication and were bone dry I gave them a good service and the noise disappeared.

Owen

thanks Owen. At least I can sell it knowingthe purchaser isn't going to die in a horrible way! :welcome:

Dare I?

Yes I dare!

You meen you are going to sell the car after all the work AEG put into in :D

Sorry i have just been reading the 7 pages of SH1T on the bigsi situation - it a real shame that it had to end that way! If i were bibs i would have just banned him when the e-mails turned out to be bogus! It would have save alot ot hurt feelings (not to mention my time reading it all) There should be some sort of terms of conduct for this forum, three strikes and your out sort of thing!

Edited by simonf

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

What, my wifes Kia? Thats the first input from AEG I thank you very much.

Please note that Mods have a 2 strike Warning system. You would have a 50% rating after the first infringement and at the second 100% you are banned awaiting discussions in the Mod room with Admin.

Lets keep the thread on subject please. The subject you have mentioned is no longer up for discussion.

Thanks Simon.

Sorry i just couldn't resist!

Have you checked that the brake disc back plate isn't bent? Sometimes a stone or something can hit this and send it out of true resulting in a grinding noise on lock! The problem with that (if it turns out to be the case) is that it can be very intermittant - it happened on my Boxster and took me ages to find the fault!

Best wishes

Simonf

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

• Gold FFM

Simon,

Kimbers is looking for you.

There is no charge for my help.

Michael. :D

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Hi,

When I suggest brakes need servicing, that means everything, so if the back plate is hitting then it should be checked. I didn't get to the exact bottom that was making the noise, but it was brakes, so a good service should eliminate the offending noise.

Owen

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully that's the problem sorted.

It was the back plate and the disc rubbing, it could be back plate has moved towards the disc or the oxidation on the disc grew to meet the back plate, either way, a few mins work and the lip has been removed with a lathe tool, and no noise results from the car turning.

Andy

Certainly was. Thanks Owen for the original diagnosis, which was spot on!! And Andy for the quick grind. As such the car is now spot on, going for her MOT and then for sale!!

Thanks guys.

Thanks Owen for the original diagnosis, which was spot on!!

Thanks guys.

Uhh hummm :whistle:

Wasn't me it me that suggested that the back plate could be the problem!?

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

Thanks everyone for everything I love you all.....

Disclaimer: This post doesn't specify anyone and specifically doesn't exclude specifying anyone I specifically forgot to specify.