Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What temperature should the fans cut in? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What temperature should the fans cut in?

NIJ

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was 80, could explain why mine don't come on at 80.

Roger :unsure:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Open road motoring mine sits on the 80, slightly less than below

PICT0005.jpg

So at what point on the gauge should my fan come on?

Roger :censored:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I think 92-95 is about right. The water won't actually boil at 100, as you have a pressure cap.

First thing to try is to wet and dry all the wiring contacts on the otter switch. They are bad for corrosion down there. I had a problem recently where my fans weren't kicking in, and this was the reason.

My S4 came in a smidged over 90 on my gauge so I would think 92 is about right. They are so efficient however, they rarely came on for more than a couple of minutes.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

The gauage and the 'real' temp sensor are chalk and cheese.

The dashboard is taken from the water pump and bears no resemblement to the reading the ECU uses to control things like the fans.

You need freescan, that way the temp sensor will show the ECU drops the fans in at approximatly 90c (both my Esprits cut in at exactly 92c)

FWIW the thermostat on the pump is 82c and thats the temperature that is showing on your dash - on the road the car should be nicely regulated as shown Roger, that is normal operation.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

This may offer a valid diagnoses as to why my fans have not worked since I put the new radiator in, it ain't got hot enough!! Works fine with the air con, trust me the terminals are clean. With summer coming up and maybe some slow traffic, only four sets of lights in Coffs Harbour, maybe I can get it hot enough to get them to come on!

Roger,

Replace your thermostat. Has to be an 82C for the car to function correctly, well for the 89-S4s & GT3. but I assume your 88 operates on the same principle.

Doesn't the 88 use an otter switch on the coolant pipe?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

On the verge of ordering a new otter switch, I took it into town today on some errands, rush hour in Coffs Harbour !! the temperature gauge went just past vertical and the amp gauge promptly dropped, and oh yes the fans had just come on dead on cue.

Thanks for your input guys saves me a new switch.

Roger if you've just replaced the rad it's probably a LOT more efficient at cooling.

The thermostat in the pump wont flow coolant to the rad unless it opens at about 82 degrees - you shouldn't see the temp rise much above even if you're booting it, unless your rad is blocked (which it obviously isnt.

The best way to see when the fans cut in is to go for a blast and then stop the car on tick over, get out and wait, the cars temp should rise becuase the heat is being soaked into the coolant and there is no air flow in the radiator - it might take a few mins but the fans should kick in.

I have freescan logs of my car getting a kicking over quite some distance and the temp never gets over 84/85c whilst moving.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...