Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Google StreetView - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Google StreetView

Sparky

• Gold FFM

Last August, when wookie and I were working on my Esprit, we watched an Astra with a roof-mounted camera go slowly up the road. After a bit of research we were able to confirm it was a StreetView vehicle. Finally today, the facility has been turned on in Google Earth for locations within the M25. So I went a-searching, and there we are by my Esprit, staring at the camera! Surreal.

I'd link to it here, but I'm on the wrong PC. Maybe later.

Anyone else got their boat race on StreetView? This could be a new game. :D

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Maybe we should have a caption competition :D

Sparky you look rather shocked, had you seen a large carburettor you wanted to play with or were you just about to have official opening of Watford Exotics, if so who did you get to cut the ribbon :)

Edited by internets

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400,2019 Lotus Elise Cup 250

street view? invasion of privacy more like....

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

yep but the camera is pointing at people windows and doors... why is is it needed?

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

Sparky, I notice you & Wookie are both standing around, tea & fag in hand not actually doing any work on the car at all!

You can't see anything that you wouldn't see if you walked down that street. I think it's quite a cool little feature especially for looking at potential areas to move to, trying to find out where you're going to if you're visiting somewhere new and such like; all from the comfort of your own home. Which, lets face it, is what people want more & more.

If anything comes up that you wouldn't want to be seen you can contact google and they will edit it out.

Like perhaps their own wrongdoings:

speedlimit.png

And you wouldn't want to miss out on picture like this:

sunbathingbabe.png

I expect he would rather he waited in the car another five mins:

adultbookstore.png

Forgotten keys or burglar caught in the act:

breakingin.png

ET's pad:

et.png

Sparky, I notice you & Wookie are both standing around, tea & fag in hand not actually doing any work on the car at all!

Ah the amatuer mechanic

They are in fact giving the car what is known as "a good coat of looking at" essential in all jobs. :D

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

yep but the camera is pointing at people windows and doors... why is is it needed?

Yes, I've noticed that about buildings; they have windows and doors. Now if google were taking pictures inside your house then that would be invading your privacy. If you walk down the street or stand in your front garden and someone sees you, do you consider that your privacy has been invaded ?

Right then, said Fred.

Yes, I've noticed that about buildings; they have windows and doors. Now if google were taking pictures inside your house then that would be invading your privacy. If you walk down the street or stand in your front garden and someone sees you, do you consider that your privacy has been invaded ?

no , but if the camera can see into a house, then its an invasion of privacy, I dont like people looking through my windows thats why any ground floor windows in our house that face the street have an opaque window film on them..

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

no , but if the camera can see into a house, then its an invasion of privacy, I dont like people looking through my windows thats why any ground floor windows in our house that face the street have an opaque window film on them..

Whilst I do see and understand your point have a look a google maps and see what kind of pictures you can see. It really is the same view as if you were driving down the street (albeit sitting on the roof of a car), the pictures aren't zooming in through people's windows to look in to their homes.

Google have already won a case in America where a couple tried to sue for invasion of privacy clicky

Personally I would feel less 'invaded' by the world being able to see my house from a street view than I do walking down a street in London where my close up CCTV image is captured a hundred times!

Do not be alarmed, Earth Unit Howard. Zorgon has assured me that the Antares 5 "Barely Sentient Planetary Studies Project" is almost complete, and all data is to be stripped of individual identity tags per the Galactic Privacy Act of Star Year 5003.

And Kaylon has directed that, following our departure, all "Googlemobiles" will be donated to "Steve" in Nigeria, as his interweb pleas for assistance surpassed all other applicants.

Regards,

Threpzik

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

What an excellent way for car theives to do research of what sits in peoples driveways? They can then go straight to the address and steal the car they want without walking the streets.

• Gold FFM

Good grief!

The digital age is here - live with it. If you really think Google is invading your privacy, then start doing a bit of research into what is REALLY happening with regard to electronic surveillance/intelligence. Do you really think something like StreetView is a revelation to thieves and burglars? We now live in a society where a burglar in a pink leotard and carrying a brixton boombox could brazenly stroll up your drive, sledgehammer your door down and trash the place at his leisure because your nimby neighbours are too self-possessed to notice and even if they do, they don't want the hassle of getting involved. Anyway, why bother getting your hands dirty when you can make a fortune at a keyboard defrauding the general public electronically?

I don't bother hiding my identity, my address or my car registration, because all of that information is public domain. In fact, virtually everything that is me is public domain, and that goes for everybody else. Every time you access the web, use a phone, exit your house, perform any kind of transaction - you're being recorded. And if that helps catch just one more terrorist, then it's OK by me.

Meanwhile, if my car gets nicked, I'm sure it won't be because StreetView was switched on; rather, it'll be one of the many thousands of joyriders who could simply follow me home one night. Who needs technology to nick a motor?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Oh no... my soul has been stolen!

Even worse, the thieves know where we store the bits of hardboard, wheel nut spanners and torches. They'll be able to set up their own maintenance line now that all our commercial secrets have been launched into the public domain. I bet the little blighters won't steal our gormless expressions though!

Still, I suppose I can now do 'The Knowledge' without leaving my house. Given my PC refresh rate vs the speed of a moped, I might just get it finished by the time I'm too old to hold a license.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.<br />

<br />

In practice, there is!

I'm just envious of those cigarettes, I've been deprived for almost a year and I don't feel any better for it. Now when Google Earth or Street View gets it's act together maybe I could smell the smoke, if you blew it toward the camera, now that would be technology! :(

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

Ah, sorry Rog - gave 'em up in January! I could fax you a nicotine patch...

It would appear that I am not the only person with concerns

clicky

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

I'm just envious of those cigarettes, I've been deprived for almost a year and I don't feel any better for it. Now when Google Earth or Street View gets it's act together maybe I could smell the smoke, if you blew it toward the camera, now that would be technology! :(

Go electronic - you know it makes sense......

Totally Wicked E-Cigs

I'm, as they say, loving it!

Oh, I should mention I have no shares in the company, but wish I did!

Tim B

• Gold FFM

Oooh - I love a good thread diversion! Tim - our whole family has converted to the e-cig, and that's the guy we use. Excellent! I could have made a killing on the number of converts I've recruited.

Oooh - I love a good thread diversion! Tim - our whole family has converted to the e-cig, and that's the guy we use. Excellent! I could have made a killing on the number of converts I've recruited.

Me too - maybe I can get the Cornwall franchise...........!

Good juice though and just got a Screwdriver which is truly brilliant.

Tim B

funnystreetmap1_1369262i.jpg

Thats Bill Heine's house in headington, Oxford. He's a local BBC radio host

and runs the 4pm-7pm phone in during the week. The shark has been there

for about 15 years i think. Have seen coachloads of tourists taken there.

Headington%20Shark.jpg

:(

It really is the same view as if you were driving down the street...

You are 100% right mate, people walk 20cm past my living room window

and they are free to look in, if i did not want that then i should have bought

a house with a field around it.

:sofa:

BUT

If they stood there and took photos of me inside? Or slowed down in their

cars to take photo's of the inside of my house? I'm not sure. Ok it's still fair

game but IMO thats not the same. I'll probably walk past 100 people in town

tomorrow morning, but if i took a photo of every one of them without consent

(including their kids) i think i'd get into some hassle, even though i was free to

see them in the first place, recording it is different?

I assume there must be some point where it becomes wrong, where it is i have

no idea.

:ninja: