Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyres - Page 10 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres

I had 2 Pirelli recently OEM standards for the rear of the N/A on 19's and it was Blackcirles I went with

Brand and size:

Pirelli P Zero (Mercedes) 255/35 R19 Y (96), Reinforced

Fuel Efficiency

Wet Grip

Exterior Noise

F

A

73dB

This was late July and cost was £422 inc. delivery and VAT total (for 2). Not fitting.

I remember when they were that each.  Maybe still are through dealers?

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• 1 month later...

I posted the following on Seloc recently, thought it might be of interest:

That's me been using the Avon's for a while now.
I've done about two thousand miles on them and two trackdays, one at Knockhill in the dry and one at Oulton Park where we had a combination of low temperatures, sun, rain, hail and more rain!

Have to say I'm quite pleased with their performance. I'm no racing driver but in the dry I noticed very little difference over the Pirelli's and they seem to be able to cope with the heat better and don't get so chewed up. So from that I'm expecting that they might last a little longer.
In the wet the ultimate level of grip does appear to be fractionally less than the Pirelli's, but the main thing for me is that they are every bit as good at providing feedback on available grip. Slides are gradual and predictable - I've not had any nasty surprises.

So given the current difference in price I'd say that the Avon ZZ5 is a good buy for the Evora.
I've also noticed slight reduction in road noise from them too so the drive to Oulton and back was that little bit more relaxing.

Once I wear them out I'll post up how well they've lasted. The Pirelli's have only been lasting 3.5k on the rears, I'm expecting 4k+ from these.

Many Thanks Kenny .

I am like many faced with the dilemma  of the high cost of pirellis and just feel we may be being led by the nose ,i feel there are a lot of good tyres on the market ,it just seems many Lotus drivers are not happy to move away from Pirellis which i find odd as i have driven many high performance cars over the years which were not so tyre specific.

Look forward to hearing more .

Regards Trevor 

• 4 months later...

I am sure this has been covered over the past few months, but can I ask for the definitive current recommendation on the following:

My two rears are badly worn just on the inside - Lotus say this is normal and to be expected for road driving, due to negative camber, but it just seems wrong that the rest of the tyre is fine, and it is wearing just in one point??  Can the suspension be adjusted for those of us using the car for everyday use, so the tyres where more evenly?

Nevertheless I need 2 * 20 inch tyres urgently...

So do I need the Corsa "LS" at £415 or is the standard Pzero "HL" at £245 ok....

Or should I go for another brand?? :cry:

pretty normal to wear inside edges like that. One of the reason why the Evora feels so planted at the rear is the amount of negative camber being run. You could run less which would help tyre wear but would be bad for car balance....

If you are worried you could get a geo check done. I think most tyre centers can do it, you just need to find one that has the Evora on their computer. Banbury does (mine is there now :) ). I think Chipping Norton and Brackley can also do it.

C43

I am sure this has been covered over the past few months, but can I ask for the definitive current recommendation on the following:

My two rears are badly worn just on the inside - Lotus say this is normal and to be expected for road driving, due to negative camber, but it just seems wrong that the rest of the tyre is fine, and it is wearing just in one point??  Can the suspension be adjusted for those of us using the car for everyday use, so the tyres where more evenly?

Nevertheless I need 2 * 20 inch tyres urgently...

So do I need the Corsa "LS" at £415 or is the standard Pzero "HL" at £245 ok....

Or should I go for another brand?? :cry:

I'd stick with the Corsa LS but you don't need to pay that much for them. Have a look at this thread as they have come up a number of times for £200 per rear.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/46038-19-20-tyres/page-3#entry499162

Hi JAWS.

How are doing on the Avons?

Trevor

Still happy with the choice and seem to have a similar opinion/experience to flyingscot68, although I haven't used them in the wet. I would recommend them. However, the price of the Pirellis has dropped considerably so the decision next time might be harder.

I'm quite tempted by putting on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric's though as I'm on my 3rd set on the my daily driver and love them. They also get a lot better reviews/ratings than the PZeros, which coincidentally were factory fit on that too.

Just had 2 new rear tyres fitted at my local tyre place. £420 for the pair, original pirelli MO1 spec. Bargain

• Like 1

construction and property consultants : My company

• 1 month later...