Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine work to be done - Page 6 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine work to be done

Dave Freeman

Hi Sparky. Paul Sarah megen and I have just come back from the chinese, llooovveeellyy.

Just having coffee, just breaking out your bottle of salior Jerries, oh silghtly pissed.

Look to seeing you early in the morning.

Dave, Paul, Sarah and Megan.

Hi Dave

Just read your about your choice of webcam. It does not have internal webserver so it should be used with Skype or MSN etc.

/Kim

/Kim 

Proud member of Watford Exotic Scandinavian Team...

On my way to Southoe... See you in a few hours... Sparky I did not tell Denise what you said.... I like having you around as a mate!

Cheers

Felix

Hi Dave

So, I'm packed ready to the airport but we got over 20cm snow last night !

I hope no delay on flight.

See you soon

Yasuo

Edited by esp88

• Gold FFM

Holy crap! The M11's closed!!!!?

What is it with visits to you, Dave? It's always chaos on the roads!

Anyone out there got any local update on the roads? Chris has just arrived from Heathrow, and the roads from there to here are awful. Reports of loads of accidents and road closures on every route I can think of to Dave's. There's no way we're joining the M25/M11 car park, so things not looking good at present...

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Hehehe. I'm actually feeling quite cheated cos I left the pub 2 hours early!

We're going to set out shortly, cross-country. Should be there in time for a jacuzzi.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Hi all, well you have probably heard about the engine now. It was broadcast over the web, thanks to all for making iit happen. I will be posting on here the decisions and thoughts on the new engine and will most certainly be broadcasting the replacement of the engine, including repair of the right hand fuel tank, cleaning and refurbing the engine bay, and of course the fitting of a new engine. Oh what joy........................

Speak later in the week.

Dave

Look at this way, it's just like a normal engine rebuild, I mean you need a gasket set, probably new pistons and liners, re-seating the valves, facing the head, it's just that you cant use the original block or crank, query rods, new shells and a bit of machining, see it doesn't sound too bad after all.

The last twin cam I did from my old Elan I managed to salvage the casting of the cylinderhead an the front timing cover.

But the replace was BLOODY fast!

Please do the rebuild "on air" I'll sit up all night for that.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hi all, well I am now the proud owner of a new crated S4 lotus engine from Garry Kemp. It arrives on thursday, what joy.

So I will be selling some of the bits from my old engine, cylinder heads, cam towers, alternator, power steering pump, pistons and liners, sensors on the block, in fact all bar the block etc.

These will be on the "parts for sale" pages of this forum. Anyone interested call me.

So I am now getting ready to clean the engine bay, well after my dads funeral. Things are still hard but I need to takemy mind of things so will spend some time getting the car ready.

Will start to post new topic soon, showing whats being done, followed by a web cam of the refitting.

Dave

Ooo. Exciting. Keep your chin up mate :lol:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Did you chat to Gary about your failure? Be intersting to hear his diagnosis!

Pointless me saying, 'hope your happy with it' as I've dealt with Mr Kemp and therefore know for sure you'll be extatic when you open the lid of that crate! :lol:

Chunky Lover

Blimey Dave you don't hang about!

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

The new engine surprisingly does not come with a manifold, so the stainless one will go on. I looked at the old one and the crack is worse than I thought, the crack night have got worse when the nuts were released, but its almost the full circumference of the manifold. It runs all the way up the 2nd port and up to the flange.

• Gold FFM

Dave,

Very nice, I guess that answers the question of any type of painting that was discussed many pages ago. I cannot remember the last time I ever saw my engine looking that clean, maybe 71,000 miles ago? Seems like you had made a wise decision from reading this thread. Maybe you can turn the old one into a bit of furniture ( much like Jeremy Clarkson ) and have a nice end table in the garage.

Due to travel ( any surprise there.?.LOL ) I missed the webcam show. But with an anticipated 2.5 feet of snow today I believe I will try to watch the recorded version.

What and how much are you doing in the engine bay?

These are the pics Garry sent, however I believe they are my engine, yes new belts all round, I will end up with a spare recon water pump and a power steering pump (new), I am told that the engine block could be repaired, so it may be worth a couple of quid, with pots, pistons and rods, no damage at the top end. Got a cylinder head as well, thats in very good condition. If the block cannot be sold then it is definantely going to be a table for the music room.

Christopher, the engine bay will be cleaned, side panels painted, check hoses, and most importantly I am removing the tanks, no point in putting the engine back to then remove it in 6 months or so. I only repaired the nearside, need the engine out to do the otherside.

Going to do the web cam when it goes back together, not sure if anyone would want to see this on the webcam (tanks out).

Dave

That looks a fantastic engine. Let me know if I can be of any assistance getting the lump back in. Still pondering whether or not to check for end float on my old banger!

Mmm. Yummy engine. That would look much better in my car Davey Boy :P

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Hi mate, not sure really, its an S4 fitted originally with large injectors for a project car which never made it, I have swapped these out for my injectors.

On the personal front we buried my dad yesterday, very sad but its time to move on and get the Essex and Herts group up and running and get my car back together.

Talk soon

Dave