Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine work to be done - Page 7 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine work to be done

Dave Freeman

Hi mate, not sure really, its an S4 fitted originally with large injectors for a project car which never made it, I have swapped these out for my injectors.

On the personal front we buried my dad yesterday, very sad but its time to move on and get the Essex and Herts group up and running and get my car back together.

Talk soon

Dave

Holly smuch, i think I will ignore this one, its so ugly, what on earth were they thinking of. I do not want to know any more.

IT ARRIVES TODAY, my lovely new engine will arrive before 12 am this morning, going to be a bit of a struggle as the delivery lorry does not have a tail lift. Got the day off to play, any ideas how to get if off, may use the hoist, hopefully the driver will be able to assist.

Will put photos up as I unpack it.....

Dave

I have been thinking, if its on a high lorry then I could use the ramps to slide it down using the strapping to slow its decent. May have to take it somewhere to get it lifted, not even sure how heavy it is.

Yes Andy, back comes first.

Dave

How ridiculous. Leave the challenge to the delivery of choice mate. If you get injured or drop the engine, then what!

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

They paid to deliver it, turning up on a truck isn't delivery, delivery is when it's safely at your location and they leave after you've signed for it.

It's their problem, not yours. Don't hurt yourself or damage the engine and don't sign for it (take ownership) until you're 100% happy it's not been damaged in transit.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Good advise Governor BiBs we will see what turns up, will keep you all informed as the morning progresses.

Dave

unworthy.gif

Its here...........on a lorry with a lift, its now safely on my drive, just about to open the box..............sending pics shortly.

Dave

Good to hear you've got a new engine. Can't wait to see it :). I bet you're disappointed you're not going to spend hours cleaning and painting your engine now !. Let me know if you need any help with the re-fitting or pre-fitting work.

Martyn :D

So, you got new engine today ?

Any pictures ?

I was working on my Espirt few days now, e.g fix my cluch etc...and found the release bearing was dead, but it's

too cold outside (under -2C afternoon) So, not much I could do today.

So, what is your plan Dave ?

When you will put back the engine!

Hi Martyn, all.........well I have lots of work to do today if anyone wants to pop in, gearbox I am having problems with, the book says 2 different seals, 18mm and 20 mm but the 2 supplied were both the same size, when I fitted one I thought it was the wrong one, comparing the one I took out and the other new seal it looked like I had fitted the wrong one, so I removed the new seal and SH T it was the same size. So I have to buy another, then the remaining seal leaked after fitting - oh what fun.

The engine bay needs work and cleaning all the bits that need to go back on. I also need and electric vac pump, oh and supprised to see a new coil pack, so I now have the old one if anyone has a need.

So if anyone wants to drop in they are welcome. I will if anyone is interested be arranging a re fitting and firing up weekend, cheeky I know but the party after is great fun.

So some pictures...................

Observant viewers will note it has a power steering pump, anyone want one.

I forgot, I need to take the tanks out today, a must I think, I repaired the easy one, so time to do the other one, perhaps that should be todays task.

Dave

• Gold FFM

Dave,

Looks great. How did the work progress today?

Any ideas on the refit weekend? Depending upon the weekend I just might attempt to fly in for the weekend. At least have a bit of fun prior to my surgery.

Christopher

Hi Simon, yes the new Vac pump comes next week, not sure why I did not use the bigger injectors but Garry Kemp suggested it would be better, more usable.

Christopher, I think it is going to be around 4 weeks time, if this fits in with you schedule, we would be happy to put you up here at the house for the weekend, just let me know your free dates. Hopefully you can make it. We can arrange to collect you from the airport.

Yashou, yes I need to get an electronic charge cool pump.

Well today was eventfull:-

Engine work ... PS pump was removed, belts re positioned, thermostat housing prepared ready for fitting, engine cleaned down (removing the dust) brackets for the Vac pump prepared. Stainless steel exhaust dry fitted and it fits but its very close to the block, may have to grind a bit of this off to fit. Picy to follow.

Then came the tank (right hand) removal, it took a long time to remove all the wiring, there is loads of it, going to be fun putting it back.

CAUTION - DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME - EVER..............

Drain the tank dave eds and martyn said, there is not much fuel in the tanks, i think - so remove the pipe into a large bucket and drain.................gallons and gallons came gushing out the whole floor was covered, and me absolutely soaked, I jumped up and like a complete pratt began to walk over to get a towel, 2 feet from the propane heater, holly sh t, I jumped back, martyn turn off the heater and I sighted releif, nearly sh t myself - the whole lot could have gone up. so be warned.

Following this we had discussions on the gearbox, are there 2 sizes of seals or only one? and how tight are the seals meant to be, little interference, anyone down this - Help please.

Side cheeks in the engine bay are now clean and ready to re fit, as for the tank, it was real difficult to get out, and its rusty but repairable. so this is underway.

The engiine came with a Coil pack and full engine harness, so I have a spare pack, oh and including engine speed sensor etc.

Tomorrow, its painting the tank and re fitting, gearbox needs painting etc. loads of work.

Picy to follow of exhaust, dry fiited it looks great.

Further update tomorrow.

Really apreciate the help from Martyn and Dave Eds, cheers guys.

This is the new header in place, oh and the gap where the engine was..........................

Can't get the local fire brigade out Andy - my best mate is on the watch!

We were just researching for sniffpetrol.com

Dave.

Following this we had discussions on the gearbox, are there 2 sizes of seals or only one? and how tight are the seals meant to be, little interference, anyone down this - Help please.

If you are referring to the driveshaft lip seals, there is only one size. There are two sizes of rings for the service tool used to install them, however, which set the correct installation depth on each side of the g-box.

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

You looking to install in 4 weeks Davey boy? Might be around to lend a hand if required mate?

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg