Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Which Browser are you using? - Page 3 - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Which Browser are you using?

Bibs

Which one?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm using Chrome v5.0.375...mostly now. It's definitely way faster than Mozilla which seems to have developed slowness and bloat during the past few years. I found the various add-ons like XMarks to be more trouble than they were worth, plus kept getting errors when they tried to update themselves. I'm on SUSE Linux v11.1 BTW, so in a different world to most of you. I was using Opera, which is another good option actually, until very recently, but the last Linux update reintroduced an old bug causing the gnome file manager to freeze in the home folder. Very annoying, so I dumped it. May still be good for windows though. Can't really comment on Windows explorer as I haven't used it except at work where Windows rules and IE is mandated.

In summary, chrome seems to be the best to me right now.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you on todays release? V5?

5.0.375.55, there maybe a later European version, not sure.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone having any issues with this? I'm having major dramas with the 32 bit verssion. 64 Bit (my main system) runs like a dream, but the 32 bit on the server/slave keeps bogging down, probably one of those nasty plug ins. Any body else ?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

We use Chrome at work and one thing drives me mad. When you open a link in a new tab I can't get it to switch automatically to that new tab. Lazy of me, I know, but it should be able to do it. I can get Firefox to do it.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try that. What I have been doing is right-click and then select "Open in new tab."

Another issue I've been having is that it doesn't load pdfs properly. Sometimes they are OK on the second attempt. Other times they never work properly. Wok when I try them in Firefox.

One thing I do like about Chrome is that the address bar is also a Google search box, so, if you don't know the correct address of a site, you can type something relevant in the address bar and it'll do a search on that topic.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 1 month later...

Everyone always forgets Opera. It is a pretty darn good browser, it is packed with features, it even has a basic web server built in so you can temporarily host file on it when needed. It also has built in spell check that told me I had misspelled the word temporarily.

• 2 weeks later...

I.E. 9 beta due to be released today in San Francisco.

Any takers?

Any peremptory mud slinging raspberries in advance?:laser:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Just gone back to Opera (newer version: 10.60 for Linux). It's not the very latest version, but seems to deal with TLF pages faster than Chrome. Includes a mail client too and is definitely worth a try as another alternative.

• 3 months later...

Bibs, thanks for the info. When this thread started it got me to switch to Chrome from Firefox, but while indeed it's been quicker on the whole occasionally I have problems launching some pages and videos (finicky about flash?). Sometimes I have to refresh the page 3 or 4 times to launch the video , but I'll surely take a look at this stuff and see what it has to offer.

-Bob

Me use I.E cause I'm a dumbass with computers and daren't touch them cause they always break after I do!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Firefox, 8 tabs open and no Earthly idea how much memory used, but running just fine...except that after having to re-install WinDoze a couple of days ago, YouTube is now making Firefox crash...weird. I'm no geek, just a guy who knows just enough to get into trouble!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

• 1 month later...

Anyone trying the new Firefox 4 / Minefield. I've now got it on 2 of my systems, must say I like the look and feel of it, I'll try it on the Netbook next as a resource test. A few of the plugins have yet to updated but it's still beta. Well worth a look.

I'm on the DEV channel of Chrome, so that would be ver 11.0.672.2 dev now.

I also received one of the Beta Google CR-48 Chrome laptops (free), so I use Chrome almost exclusively now. Only use IE to fill out my timesheet at work, their sloppy coding doesn't work with Chrome for some reason.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I'm using Firefox, as that's what came as standard with the Ubuntu which I'm now running on my PC - your fault in a way Bibs.

I had used windows XP (64 bit) and I.E. for years quite happily (with the odd virus from time to time, sorted out by a good HDD re-format every so often), until I came to try and use TLF.

3 minutes to load EACH page!

I don't know what kind of virus I had lurking on my machine, but what ever it was loved messing with your website.

Tried Ubuntu on a friend's recommendation, and suddenly TLF zipped along, and I've never gone back.

So thanks Bibs!

• 2 months later...

Main browser is Firefox 3, but also use Safari, Chrome and Camino. All on Mac. I often have to have multiple sessions running logged in as different user names for development and testing so using multiple browsers are necessary. Chrome has improved plenty lately but I cannot get on with Firefox 4.

I use Linux at home and Firefox is my browser of choice. The only use I've ever found for IE is that you can download Firefox with it :)

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire