Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elite/Eclat/Excel video & picture thread! - Page 16 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Elite/Eclat/Excel video & picture thread!

I dunno, but I think that the wheels suit the car, as does the colour, and you could have a good weekend with that caravan.

Here's mine getting some attention from the hard working Romanian car wash dudes up the road -

J3QZSlVp.jpg

Edited by GerardJPC
  • Like 1

Hi William. I assume your car is an early 520 and very nice it looks too. I have one myself, same colour with Wolfrace wheels. The 520 which came out in 1976 was the entry level car and to differentiate from the more oppulent elite had skinnier Ford Steel wheels with a different smaller PCD.  That meant the GKN alloys of elites and later éclats would not fit.  Any 520 éclat with GKN alloys must have had the hubs replaced. Although Lotus had a contract with Wofrace to supply alloys for the 1976 and 1977 Esprits, I am not sure if any éclats left the factory with Wolfies as I have never seen any evidence like a spec sheet to prove. I would imagine such an upgrade was carried out at Lotus dealers although these wheels were massively popular and fitted to many English cars of the era. I hope that helps. 

IMG_9076.JPG

IMG_9038.PNG

IMG_9155.JPG

IMG_4331.JPG

Regards Roddy

You flirt Dunc. I think most 520's ended up with Wolfies, GKNs  or other aftermarket alloys as the Steele wheeled cars are now something of a rarity. 

My dad had a 2300 - rotted away within a couple of years, replaced with an auto 2600 which lasted well.

The Series One Solihull cars rusted, the Series Two Cowley cars were better made and better painted.  Mine has a small area of rust at one door corner but is otherwise pretty good.  The colour is called Moonraker Blue.

20170903_074614.jpg

Edited by GerardJPC

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 08:26, phoenix said:

Hi William. I assume your car is an early 520 and very nice it looks too. I have one myself, same colour with Wolfrace wheels. The 520 which came out in 1976 was the entry level car and to differentiate from the more oppulent elite had skinnier Ford Steel wheels with a different smaller PCD.  That meant the GKN alloys of elites and later éclats would not fit.  Any 520 éclat with GKN alloys must have had the hubs replaced. Although Lotus had a contract with Wofrace to supply alloys for the 1976 and 1977 Esprits, I am not sure if any éclats left the factory with Wolfies as I have never seen any evidence like a spec sheet to prove. I would imagine such an upgrade was carried out at Lotus dealers although these wheels were massively popular and fitted to many English cars of the era. I hope that helps. 

IMG_9076.JPG

IMG_9038.PNG

IMG_9155.JPG

IMG_4331.JPG

Regards Roddy

Hi Roddy thanks for the info. And here's me thinking my Eclat was unique with its Wolfies. How quickly the forums can shoot one down in flames!! I had heard the early Eclats were fitted with Plus2 hubs?? To use them up" a la Chapmans" frugal policy waste not want not!!

I really don't know why Lotus should have gone to the expense of making different hubs for an 'entry level' model, the Elite and presumably Esprit already had Triumph hubs on the front, why not just fit Triumph steels from a GT6/Spitfire or Vitesse?