Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
What made you UNHAPPY today! - Page 49 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you UNHAPPY today!

rocket63

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, Alfa2Evora said:

Took the Evora for her final run before a winter lay-up. I really didn't want it to end, which is probably why I left the house at 9am to take a quick turn through to Glasgow for the monthly Tartan Tarmac breakfast meet and didn't arrive home until 7 hours and 200 miles later.

200 miles ? 7 hours ? - that's less than 30mph - I was sure they were quicker than that :lol:

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I was at the breakfast meet (which is less than 20 miles from my house) until nearly 1 o'clock so the rest of the mileage, on mostly B-roads, was in the space of 3 hours. :driving::P .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Being of 'that certain age', my pension provider has today sent me an updated projection of what I can expect to retire with in 3 years time.

In the words of Robbie Williams when he landed his record deal, "I'm rich beyond my wildest dreams".......................................NOT!!! 

To continue enjoying a lifestyle approaching that to which I'm accustomed from my current salary, I would need to have something close to £2m invested in my pension pot, and then live until I'm at least 106 to be able to withdraw all that I've put in. :angry:

Whatever they're on, can I just invest the entire sum that I have actually saved in some of that instead?

You have a lifetime pension pot limit these days of £1m to contend with David so growing a pot to £2m will be tough!  :)  Unless of course you are someone who who reaches the heights of a CEO in a major bank, totally screws up said bank, its investors, its customers and workers and the economy and then of course you get much more!  Or you are one of the many Public Sector workers on final salary, inflation proof, gold leafed schemes who have nothing to worry about.

The issue is with the annuity rates - you used to get some £8/9k per annum per £100k (very rough approximation) in your pot, these days it is more like £4-5k so almost 50% down. The upside is that that is because interest rates and inflation have been so low so you are benefitting from that now.

You can of course wait for the annuity rates to rise as the interest rates rise, or, opt for income draw down and hedge your bets.

The government moans about the cost of care for the elderly, but since New Labour those responsible enough to save for their retirement have been penalised to pay for those selfish bar stewards who have not and spent it as they have gone.  Some fair deal that eh?

As an aside though, even the very best final salary schemes will only net you forty 60ths of your final salary - so two thirds - and that's the maximum of the very best non executive schemes.  If you achieve half your salary in retirement that should still be a very good retirement as going to work actually costs you money too.

Interest rates up. Annuity rates up. And I'll be quite happy thank you.  Not sure my free spending friends with their big mortgages and car loans will be as chuffed though lol.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

When I retire I intend going on a Grand Tour in the Lotus so that'll cost more than going to work, :P.

£1 of annual pension for every £41.50 invested? I'd have been better off stashing it all under the mattress!

• Gold FFM

As soon as I can pull any cash out of my pension pot - the lots coming out and I’ll spank it on anything I fancy.

i simply don’t and won’t trust any banker to deal with my future.

Only here once

Yeah - 45% tax on the 75% that isn't tax free if that bit is over the threshold of £150k and after your personal allowance. Might as well up your buy in prices on doer uppers mate!

• Haha 1

Dave.

Lucky enough to have a good number of years of 60ths Final Salary (and still linked to my actual salary on retirement) before they closed the scheme. No point adding to the company contributions moving forward because of lifetime allowance so instead bought a house for the kids (21,18 and 12), in order of priority:

1) gets 21 y/o car off the drive, so I won't have a car parked in front of the garage/400 any more :animier:

2) gets them on the housing ladder within zone 6

3) that's their lot - wife and I can spend the rest guilt free

4) means at the right time the wife and I can retire somewhere where the house prices are not so ridiculous and it's not so overpopulated

5) they won't be living at home, so we won't have their food bills to pay in retirement (the house was probably the cheap option, especially as the eldest seems to think my booze is fair game!)

Downside, I've had to do 80% of the work renovating the place, was supposed to be teaching /overseeing them how to do it :wallbash:, now if I can just fit that kitchen we can kick him out........

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 14:31, C8RKH said:

I'm the divorcing the wife. Splitting it all 50:50

So what are you going to do with half an Evora? Do you get it at weekends and Bank Holidays and take it to the zoo and McDonalds? :P

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the day doing spreadsheets, comparing CAP values to Stand in Values and doing paperwork. My life is full (of crap).

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM
On 10/6/2017 at 02:31, mayesprit said:

Sad day. Two Ambulances and a Helicopter couldn't save my Mum. Emergency services all do a fantastic job and they tried and tried right up to the end but I guess they don't get to win them all. 

My condolences Ian. Lost my mum years ago when we decided to turn off her life support. Really hard. Lost my mother-in-law 5 days before Christmas two years before losing my mum.

Thoughts are with you.

-------------------------------------

Plasterboard.

Useless, silly wall lining product.

Whoever came up with this should be taken out the back and dismembered. :2guns: 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM
12 hours ago, pete said:

well done John,did the lotus position come in handy ?

Several times thanks Pete.Not nice under the house in freezing condition's sitting in cold water though.

Not a good week and now been done for speeding,84 in a 70. Can take a driver awareness course but Dorset appear to be the only constabulary where you have to travel to them to take it instead of your nearest. So a 250 mile round trip and a lost day or take the points.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Got done at 81mph last April on the M4 at midnight. Speed awareness course offered if not done one in the previous 3 years. Yeah right! Took the 3 points and gave them £100. We won 3-1 at Swansea so wasn't too upset. A guy I know got done on the way there and on the way back lol.

A couple of weeks later they started the pay related fines and 6 points. Think on your earnings you are literally royally Hewitted Pete!

• Like 1

Dave.