Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
abs light - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

abs light

Hi, I have a abs light on steady as soon as the ignition is turned on. What are the first steps I should take to sort this problem out. I cannot take the car to a lotus dealer as there are none in N.Ireland. I already have been to two guys with diagnostic equipment (bosch & launch) but were unable to enter the abs as none had proper lotus programs. Tried to enter through vx vectra 1.8 petrol but could'nt enter. The abs light just came on with the car stationary. Do I have to get this done on diagnostic eqip or is there another way to sort this problem

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

have you tried Erics 'home build' interface, based on the freescan system. There is an ABS-screen in the menu too... .

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/index.php/topic/31846-airbag-light/

But I can't say if it works or not (as the V8 uses the kelsey Hayes ABS, the early 4-pots have an different system as far as I know.. )

I still have to find the possible fault in my 'reproduction' of his interface for my own. All in all the parts are cheap (around 4-6 Euros in electronic stores, just some resistors, diodes and transistors with wiring..)

have you tried Erics 'home build' interface, based on the freescan system. There is an ABS-screen in the menu too... .

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/index.php/topic/31846-airbag-light/

But I can't say if it works or not (as the V8 uses the kelsey Hayes ABS, the early 4-pots have an different system as far as I know.. )

I still have to find the possible fault in my 'reproduction' of his interface for my own. All in all the parts are cheap (around 4-6 Euros in electronic stores, just some resistors, diodes and transistors with wiring..)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 10 months later...

I have had the same problem and so far the I have found that my relay is fine first thought it was in need of replacing. But I was talking to Cliff and after I had my Volt meter and chased the short in the 30amp fuse for the relay. The fuse is fine but somewhere the wire has either snapped or fused out. I am going to work on it today and see if I can get any closer to fining the fault. So use a volt meter and chase it back from the relay.

Have you put Espritmon on and tested?

Here is a image that may help, but your really need the fault code to sort it.

testing-sheet.jpg

sig.jpg

Has anybody a wiring diagram for the bosch connector to the 430 kelsey hays unit? The only diagram I can find in the service notes is for a 415. Also a T000t1307 calibration cartridge I could either hire or buy. thanks

Edited by jcbjs 260

• 3 years later...

Hi, I stumbled across your problem with your ABS light staying on. I am sure you have fixed this but the ABS light staying on is most commonly due to the a fault in the ABS box in the front of the car and not the wiring or ECU. 

This happened on my 1998 GT3 in 2014 (I had owned the car for 9 years and done 114,000 miles in it).

Send your ABS module to PNM engineering.  There is a guy who can re-furbish it for you that Pete knows.

It costs £90.

The ABS module is originally from GM motors and a replacement is very expensive.

Hope you got it sorted.

Mark

• 4 years later...
On 05/01/2015 at 19:50, Dave Hopwood said:

The Lotus ABS unit looks the same as the GM Vectra and some  Fiat models if placed side by side ,

however , neither will work in the Esprit V8 or GT3 as the inside is totally different .

Regards

Dave 

I've started to look closely at the Kelsey Hayes ABS units as along with the ECM they are another Esprit V8 (and GT3 in terms of braking) point of failure. As with all components on an aging vehicle spares and replacements are going to become scarcer over time. I did put some posts up on cross references for the KH415 and KH430 units but in retrospect that was not a good idea and for now I am going to can the suggestions because:

1. Dave's post above.
2. Section JG in the V8 Service Manual

image.png.c2fdec89801563db8ca31a4627b6b3e4.png

I am forming a plan to firstly get as much technical info as I can on them, secondly to examine the Lotus (rare) and GM (widely available and cheap as chips) versions and compare them to see what the calibration differences are (electronic/hydraulic/both?) and if there is a path to convert the GM units. Finally I would like to do "a Peter England" and develop a free reader with all of the codes that works with any OBD2 scanner instead of just the official TECH-1 scanner. To that end I have located both the Esprit V8 ECM/KH415 and KH430 TECH-1 cartridges. They are quite expensive so post Christmas destitution I am going to have to delay purchase for a month or so. Then there is the thorny question of getting hold of a TECH-1 itself but I will keep my eye out for a cheap one. Unless some kind person would like to lend or donate or sell if they have no further use for one? The objective here is that any forum member can read the ABS unit with low cost kit.

To work on the Lotus/GM comparisons I could do with a duff Lotus KH415 and a KH430. Has anyone got broken ones at all? I've already got a GM 415 and happy to buy a GM 430 to rip apart as well.

• Like 2

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

I would expect the units to be mechanically the same but the calibration to differ so it will be interesting to find out if this is indeed the case. The ROM is probably programmed on board but it is probably not possible to do this with out the manufacturer's equipment or similar. The solution is probably to remove the ROM (surface mount I expect) and fit a socket to allow a different chip to be fitted.

• Thanks 1

Awesome @sailorbob. I've got a USB ROM/PROM reader/writer with loads of socket adapters (I bought it to copy V8 ECM EEPROMs) so hopefully it would be a case of replicating the Lotus one and fitting into a socket on the GM version. Lots to think about and do, watch this space!

PS there's an interesting exercise there to read both types and compare the contents...

On generic race abs systems there is indeed a wheel size (and weight and vehicle weight?) so I too think there is a different calibration on the Esprit, but my guess (random guess) is the pump is the same indeed, just the flash memory would be different.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Giniw said:

On generic race abs systems there is indeed a wheel size (and weight and vehicle weight?) so I too think there is a different calibration on the Esprit, but my guess (random guess) is the pump is the same indeed, just the flash memory would be different.

example here:

https://www.kmpdrivetrain.com/product/bosch-m5-abs-clubsport/

The ABS M5 Kit Clubsport is specifically adapted for motorsport use. Individual car parameters like e.g. vehicle weight, vehicle track, wheel weights, wheel circumferences, wheel base or number of increments can be calibrated by the end-user using the software

2 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Finally I would like to do "a Peter England"

I had already seen his post and I am surprised he said Lotus kindly gave him the V8 protocol, that is quite unexpected!!

It would be nice if they provided us the full ALDL format for the earlier cars as well (Esprit and Elan M100)

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure that the four pot ECM equipped Esprits are catered for by Espritmon (available on here I believe) but happy to be corrected of course.

I have absolutely no idea what is in an M100 though! Maybe a modified Isuzu part?

• Gold FFM
38 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

I'm pretty sure that the four pot ECM equipped Esprits are catered for by Espritmon (available on here I believe) but happy to be corrected of course.

I have absolutely no idea what is in an M100 though! Maybe a modified Isuzu part?

Yes you can access the data for the abs on that. It’s very good and will identify which sensors are bust etc

• Like 1

Only here once

@swindon_alan

There are link software for the ALDL Esprit and M100 but at least for the Elan it has been made all by reverse engineering and I think there are still some missing bits (bytes ^^).

(The known Elan ALDL format is described in the ElanScan ini file http://forum.lotuselancentral.com/viewforum.php?f=34 + https://aldl-interfaces.smiths.im/, and I used that ini file to write another communication program — https://forum.lotuselancentral.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25741still unreleased to this day as I tend to procrastinate "a little" x_x)

(sorry for the off topic, but maybe Lotus would agree to give us the full spec, who knows... That sounds strange and generous but they apparently shared the OBD2 infos of the V8, so ... ^^)

/off topic ^^

Edited by Giniw
  • Like 1

Sleeping on all this I have decided to delay doing anything with the TECH-1 kit. I don't think it will help with developing my own interface and will save a lot of dosh for now. Section JG in the service manual is pretty comprehensive on the error codes and I think I can translate that to commands in a simple (hopefully!) app. I'm going to see what the Haynes manual can provide when it arrives. There's also a lot of info around on the Internet of course.

Spent a happy (not) hour attempting to take my Opel KH415 apart this afternoon. Eventually with the help of a cold chisel and a big man hammer I managed to get most of the PCB casing off, still some to go but it was getting cold in the garage. Boy, is that well put together for the automotive environment. Thick sticky gasket and even a sweet little bag of silica gel in there! The downside of course is that even if it were possible to reprogram it (looking unlikely as per Derek above) or just swap the board out, you would have to destroy the thing to be able to do so. Will persevere with it though as I'm curious to see what is in there.

I am not sure about the best way to get into the EBC 415 but apparently on the EBC 430 you need to cut to depth of 3 mm to break through the gasket. It will be interesting to see if the EBC 415 uses the same 16 bit microprocessor as the EBC 430.

I have not found a good enough photo to identify the 8 bit microprocessor in the EBC 430 but I can see there is a U6809B fail-safe IC near the microprocessors.

• Like 1

My Haynes ABS Trade Techbook arrived this morning.

image.png.5d0afc39e57093e46fc9f4e78655049e.png

Now that was a good buy. A quick skim and we now have all of the pin outs, fault codes and diagnostics for both KH415 and KH430 (already had the KH415 ones from the Lotus Service Manual but nice confirmation). @sailorbob KH430 has fault codes for ECM memory: 8-bit RAM/ROM, 16-bit ROM and 16-bit RAM so you are spot on about that. Nothing similar for the KH415 so looks like I will have to persevere with the cold chisel...

In the meantime I've been investigating putting a Windows app together for the full TECH-1 functionality and I think it is do-able. I want to have options for both serial/USB and Bluetooth ELM327 interfaces and because the V8 ECM and ABS ECM share a common serial data port on the ALDL connector I believe I can target it if I can iteratively find the right protocol number.

Out of interest, this very comprehensive books lists all major European manufacturer KH usage 1982-2000 and it is not a lot!

KH415:
Vauxhall/Opel Frontera 1995-2000
Vauxhall/Opel Vectra B 1996-2000
(Plus Lotus V8/GT3 1996-1997ish)

KH430 aka Lucas EBC 430:
Fiat Marea/Weekend 1996-2000
Daewoo Matiz 1998-2000
(Plus Lotus V8/GT3 1998 on)

The majority of the rest of the cars listed use a variety of Bosch or Teves ABS with a smattering of Bendix and other Lucas products.