Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
LEAKED : Paris 2010 : Lotus new Esprit, Elan, Elite & Elise - Page 9 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

LEAKED : Paris 2010 : Lotus new Esprit, Elan, Elite & Elise

XiPHiAS

I saw one of them for sale on my way back from Canberra some years back.

I stopped to look and it had a Lotus badge on the front, the sales guy was trying to tell me it WAS a Lotus and all about them.

The fact that I'd just pulled up in S4 Elan seemed to elude him. :rolleyes:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Saw this on Lotus' Facebook page. All it can say it's an interesting Phostoshop portfolio. Let's see what is a "real product lineup" in a few years with actual cars in front of actual scenery.

His opinion at the end of the day, and not one I agree with,

His comment about the re-use of the classic names was naive at best IMO. I thought that was a great strategy - imagine the uproar here if the Esprit had been called something else.

• Gold FFM

I wonder what his opinion is on other car companies? It's not like Lotus is the only one that re-use, actually I prefer continue, a model name.

Wonder if he has the same opinion about the 911, the Corvette, the Australian Monaro, the Australian Falcon, the Mustang, the V8 Vantage, the Celica, the VW Beetle, the Jeep Cherokee, the Land Rover, the Toyota Land Cruiser?

Maybe he's down on these companies and is waiting for someone to name a car after him like the Hyundai Hrabalek. Brmm, brmm.

So there's a new design philosophy at Lotus. Big deal. I just hope everyone gets over it and the cars are as good as they look and go like a Jack Russell on greased glass. :lol:

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I'm a pro journalist and I'm glad they were different colours too...!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Stu, I personally know a lot of pro journalists and based on what I know of them, I think you should be more ambitious with your claims. :hrhr:

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I just hope...the cars are as good as they look and go like a Jack Russell on greased glass. :lol:

Do Australian Jack Russells come with traction control, Michael???:comp:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

Absolutely John! Called claws. Quickest dogs I've ever seen. Even on greased glass, these guys would be amazing. :thumbsup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

have to say I agree with that. Paris should have been Esprit launch for 2011 delivery, rather than a notice of execution for the Evor.

I used to work in food research, and one of the biggest problems I saw was a dismissive attitude to products "not invented here". I hope Bahar & Coco do not suffer from this, but I wonder if they value anything that is not from their school

Edited by simonb

Guest surferphil

Who listens to the press these days, it's all about personal choice isn't it? their role should be that of a corrispondant informing the reader 'what is going on over there' whilst being a bit interesting or entertaining.

To be fair to him, if he knew what he was talking about he would probably be doing a proper job, in the auto industry and not making silly comments, read by people who just disagree.

I don't like the new cars, but after I got over the bad, bland and 'any brand' CGI Renders; I realise they are just concept cars and their job is to provoke a reaction and set a styling guide for the companys new design direction. It is surprising that they did this with 5 concepts instead of one (like most manufacturers do).

Professional press is a little close to a contradiction in tearms these days, everyone has an opinion on line and I'd be surprised if he gets paid for his. :laser:

"...they are just concept cars..."

Just so. And with a high probability that each one will become "a work in progress" prior to final release. There are numerous ways to enhance/modify/embellish etc a marque "model" without straying so far from the initial styling as to appear hypocritical. The basic "auto show fanfare/premiere blitz" shapes can still be retained while adding sufficient subtleties to keep up with the market. That's what designers do. And even if it were to become necessary to completely revamp a specific model, particularly one projected for several years out, that choice is not a foregone negatively viewed action by a potential buyer. On the contrary, it might be perceived as a smart move by the brand. This is not a prediction that this will be the case, merely a recognition that the option exists.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Very Lotus-centric issue. I particularly like the article where they compare the Evora (very favourably) with the Ferrari 458 and pick it over the Audi R8

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

An interesting comparison in Winding Road, one that seems to prefer the 'purity' of the Evora design, inside and out, to the 458. Given that the guy who designed the 458 is now responsible for the new Lotus range there's going to be some interesting debates when the new cars hit the road, particularly if the Evora has done well and is still around.

Edited by hedgerley

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Nothing like reviving a past thread.

Just one question. Just wondering if MJK has an opinion? (Unless he is bound by some sort of agreement or gentlemens rule of saying nothing about a successor.)

• Gold FFM

Thought it would be Bibs. How long does the gag last after having left or is it indefinite? Would have been one of those really interesting opinions.

• Gold FFM

Nuff said.

I don't think I have seen MJK post on here once since leaving the helm. :(

Can't see DB joining here though. :getmecoat:

• Gold FFM

Fair enough.