Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit S4s Project - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit S4s Project

Hi Folks,

Work has now started on the refresh of the S4s. After 15 years, there is a fair amount of rot to sort out, but on the whole the car is in very nice condition. :thumbsup:

Petrol, coolant and oil all removed - messy, smelly job......

The seats need to be sent away to be recovered, as the drivers side is in very poor condition.

f_grq4wefem_5fe717a.jpg

f_grq4wfgbm_7341c1c.jpg

Next job is to prepare for the removal of the engine to replace the cracked exhaust manifold and to facilitate the removal of the fuel tanks for refurbishment.

Rear deck off and safely stored

f_grq4wefcm_4ef5387.jpg

Exhaust removed to find that the cat had previously been gutted...... power did feel good.

f_grq4wfhfm_00aa702.jpg

Hanging bracket and gear translation stuff removed

f_grq4wfhhm_e5ae0aa.jpg

f_grq4wfhgm_b2086e5.jpg

f_grq4wfhim_21b2846.jpg

Driveshaft pins driven out and shafts removed out of the way

f_grq4wfibm_5c600d8.jpg

f_grq4wficm_017a8b6.jpg

SWLC replacment manifolds Zircotec coated and ready for installation.

f_grq4weegm_679e7bd.jpg

Hopefully, I can get the engine out come the weekend and make a start on the job of removing the manifold.

Quick question to those familar - what is the easiest way to free the clutch fork?

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jon - useful stuff.

I´ve looked at the manual finally and realise that I had not ´read´ what I saw properly. It looked like the rod and the adjustment screw were one part and that did not make sense.

Having seen some of the rot, I´m really dreading what I will find when the engine is out. I hope that I can get the studs out and manifold off without too much fuss.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Being a 4 pot owner I'm looking forward to this post, good luck Mike

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Mike,

Be great to follow this thread. Be of interest to see your reactions to the differences in the 4 and the 8.

I see you are going to be about 3 weeks ahead of me in my disassembly of my S4. Though I do have to say ( and I run my car in the rain and such ) I was amazed at the fair amount of corrosion seen on the chassis. Also I imagine you will work much quicker than myself due to my travels...lol.

Enjoy and look towards your progress

• Gold FFM

Hi Mike

I too am following this with interest - a cursory check of the manifold led me to believe it was no. 3 blowing, and it looked like the gasket. Looking forward to your findings!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

You could have had a nice V8. Magnolia seats recovered by Lotus, car due back from the sprayers any day now with total refurbishment and repaint in the original Azure Blue. Unmarked OZ Saturns, PNM Monster 6 calipers and discs, triple-core radiator, full engine rebuild with some superb advice along the way . . .

• 2 months later...

... update in my Restoration Blog..... :thumbsup:

Hi Mike,

What kind of turbo will you be using for this project?

As I'm working for MHI Turbochargers and responsible for special projects and performance market. Maybe you can test one of our units. As I would like to see one of our units on a Esprit. If you can inform what kind of power you are looking for and what the dimensions of the manifold exit are. I maybe have something nice for you.

Cheers

VAN DER LEE Turbo Systems     -      www.vdlee.com

Hello Garp,

That is a very fine and generous offer.

The standard S4s is fitted with a Garrett T3 60trim (part #461533-4). I had considered moving to a T4 compressor like the S300 set-up.

The turbine housing is a standard T3 inlet with the round three stud outlet. Power wise, the car will only have a very mild incease if anything at all. I would keep the target at 330bhp max.

Let me know if you need any further info or have any ideas?

Many thanks ! :thumbsup:

Mike S

Hi Mike,

These should be good for your required output, and provide good transient response.

It's originating from a twin turbo system. Depending on how you mount the compressor cover, you can make a LH or RH.

med_gallery_329_37_19323.jpg

Edited by plumdeplakmuis

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong flange I'm afraid Garp. It would need a standard T3 rectangular 4 bolt flange to mate up to the manifold. The Vband outlet is nice though. Currently looking into specs for a new more powerful turbo for my engine! I have been doing some calculations and fiddling with a friends Turbo Grand Prix that we have installed Tunercat on........Very user friendly and very easy to tune!!!!!

Nice write up so far Mike, as usual.....Was that car used as an ROV or something? Holy moly that's a lot of rust! Suprised I didn't see any barnacles on it!

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I know it has the wrong flange, only as these turbo's are the latest in MHI turbocharger technology that have good match to generate up to 330hp, I think it's worth the effort to create something of a adaptor flange.

Then I'm also investigating what we have available for a direct bolt on solution, we have a unit available with the connection dimensions as in the picture below which look rougly the same. Only this is for a up to 450hp application. And would not help transient response for lower than 370hp outputs.

But if you have any engine data I can also assist you in finding a nice solution. Normally this requires:

- Peak kW @ rpm

- Peak Nm @ rpm

And the following data at both peak kW and peak Nm

- Pressure and temperature @ Compressor in, Compressor out, Turbine in, Turbine out.

- Brake specific fuel consumption

- Air and fuel flow.

med_gallery_329_37_4141.jpg

Edited by plumdeplakmuis

there's no exhaust manifold in those photos (well a corner near the turbo)...

There is rust on the turbo studs...

Also some non visible rust inside the hot side engine mount... The bushing rusted to the bolt and I could not remove it... had to pull the assembly and cut it, but you'd never tell looking at it.

Here's some manifold rust (mild compared to UK rust)

P9042184.JPG

And here it is coated with Techline ceramic coating.

IMG_2722.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Travis,

Yes - you guys in the warmer climates are very lucky. I´m seriously envious of the cleanliness of your chassis :detective:

Check out the state of the exhaust manifold on the blog..... urgh !

Mikes Esprit Blog

Cheers,

Mike S

I don't think rust has anything to do weather, per se, I think UK and European owners must drive their Esprits in wet weather far more then we do over here.

Depending on where Travis lives in a Colorado, it can snow and rain plenty.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Today it was -14F (-25C).... hardly warm....

Even my Japanese car had trouble starting!!!

Colorado is a very dry climate though, humidity is 51% today.

We also do not use salt on our roads, though we do use magnesium-chloride, which causes a mild corrosion with no visible rotting effects, but it can rust a cadmium plated bolt perfectly to a steel sleve on a otherwise rust free Japanese suspension.

I used brake cleaner and Simple Green to clean parts... Which is what led me to a major dilemma!!! :veryangry:

Simple Green can strip chrome!!!

Including the very thin chrome plating on the pistons!!! Use Simple Green very carefully!

PICT0090.JPG

PICT0093.JPG

I had to get my pistons ceramic coated

PICT0030.JPG

also got the skirts coated with moly-disulfide.

PICT0040.JPG

I should start a blog...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 1 month later...