Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Found first S1 - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Found first S1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Absolutely, I started at Β£6k which to me was realistic but it is a car I’ve fancied getting back for 10 years now and really want to return it to its former glory. My last offer of Β£8k was after a few beers thinking he would just bite my arm off πŸ˜‚

In fairness it would be a slow time project now I’m finishing the mini as to get these parts really is a case of playing the waiting game, my view would be to tidy it up, change the clutch and service it with new tanks, carb rebuild, rebuild the brakes and just use it for a bit. Shame about the pastel yellow though πŸ™„

My main focus is buying another JPS at the moment, I will leave it a couple weeks and chase him again, a few more rough winters and there won’t be much left to buy πŸ₯Ί

Dave :)Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Do or doΒ not, there is no try!Β 

Β 

Let him stew for as long as you care to, Dave, he's going nowhere at his price. Just daft. He'll be swimming against the economic tide along with most of us, post C-19.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2011 at 21:25, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Hi Paul

Always loved your S1, must be some kind of record owning it that long, bet it has a few tales to tell after all those years.:unworthy:

The longest single owner I know of is Lyn Wechsler in the US who has owned his since 1977!!

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Wow that has to be the longest owner for sure PaulΒ , not sure how long Gordon’s had his Red 001 car? πŸ‘πŸ»

Wise words Steve and think we will all be in for a shock when the financial recovery hits us, interesting times πŸ₯Ί

Dave :)

Β 

Β 

• Gold FFM

Has he accepted yet??? That’s a very strong offer - as that chassis will probably snap in half when you remove that body.

Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

Thanks Stu, hope you are all well in sunny Norfolk 😎

Barry, that is my concern from the limited View I could get from below, it looked worse than the last one I did which ended up with a replacement secondhand chassis. I think these days after rebuilding a couple 60’s Mini’s I would fabricate and repair, Matt on here has had sections made up.

TBH I think the car will perishΒ as I won’t be increasing my offer and he doesn’t seem that bothered in fairness. Shame but maybe not meant to be. I have quite a lot of options now so I’m ok with it, I have a feeling he will contact me in the future when least expected, it only took me nearly 10 years to get a viewing πŸ˜‚

Β 

Dave, I'll offer an optimistic scenario you might entertain. It was February '97 when I first took a look at the S2 I would later come to own and though the car seemed quite presentable it was undriveable and as the owner was fishing for rather more than what it should have fetched I walked. By September, ringing home after a day on the road to CaliforniaΒ for one last road trip in my Elan,Β m'lady informed me that the chap had calledΒ to inquire whether interest remained. Picture the Cheshire cat's grin on my face in learning of this! Of course I'd remained interested, I've got the Lotus bug as bad as any of you mad hatters, but had the patience to wait out the situation until terms were agreeable. To be honest I did not steal the car, probably paid more than I should have but a good slice less than what was first sought. FWIWΒ Β 

• Like 2

Now that is a great looking car and I love the interior (well I would, its the same as mine)Β πŸ™‚

It's getting there......

Any thoughts to when you’re going to get going with your green Turbo @TAR? Would love to see that one restoredπŸ‘Œ

Edited by Bibs
  • Like 1

@stephenwhyteΒ I'm having a battle with the planners for my new double garage. If all goes well, that will be built later this year. Then I should be able to make a proper start.Β 

Sorry for the thread hijack!Β πŸ™‚

• Like 2

It's getting there......

On 8 May 2020 at 18:03, Paul Coleman said:

The longest single owner I know of is Lyn Wechsler in the US who has owned his since 1977!!

Paul Clapham has owned his S1 from nearly new.

Β 

Β 

• 6 months later...

I know what you mean about owning a car so long, or in the past.

I've owned one of mine since Saturday June 17th 1988.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Biu_W6yn5Pk/?igshid=1ietzxjrfa4zs

The DVLA were very helpful in returning the original registration number on my Esprit S1. They would rather do that, as it is already assigned to the car. Yours may have a whole list by the sounds of it!

That sunbeam is lovely, much prefer the wire wheels. 😎

I need to get it roadworthy first then apply for the plate I think, I’ve promised the Irish plate back to its owner as he’s owned it forever and wants it.

12C9B135-4A05-42D3-813A-8A6ECEDD35ED.thumb.jpeg.f358da7673ae49cffb5c224f1bfce127.jpeg

I already have a front spoiler in case I decide to keep as is removing that S2 one the last owner fitted. I may use it on my JPS as in better condition.

The car was Lagoon blue from build, we will have to see which way I go but will keep buying original S1 bits as they turn up for the future.

Β 

• Like 2

Β