Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My manifold is cracked……Cast or Stainless replacement? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My manifold is cracked……Cast or Stainless replacement?

OK so not a great start to the new year…. But happy New Year to you all anyway!

So, the manifold on the GT3 has developed a small hole in it just next to the locating stud on cylinder No. 3.

No doubt there will be various view on whether to go for a Lotus replacement or a tubular stainless alternative so I throw the question open to the experts out there who may have been here before.

Suggestions please … and an idea of cost would be great too.

Thanks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon,

Manifolds are about £500 plus fitting. That's for a cast one and would be what I would get fitted. Depending on who is able to do it and how far you want to travel I would think the total cost would be in the region of £1500.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I am going for a stainless tubular on my S2 when funds allow - for me going tubular or cast depends on how long you are keeping the car for. If its a lifer and you can afford it then go stainless.

I had mine replaced recently, the Cast one from SWLC. The expensive bit is not the fitting of the new but the taking off of the old if the nuts are all siezed. Some were on mine and so the garage cut them all off and replaced all with new studs and nuts.

OK thanks for the info guys.

So it sounds like a cast one is the one to go for then?

Anyone think the stainless one is a better option before I bite the built.

Any suggested alternatives to SWLC or is that the best to go for?

Had the SWLC manifold fitted to my S4S in May 2007. Seems fine so far.

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Mine had an update south west lotus manifold on and it cracked when I was looking they were £725 plus the vat now 525 plus the vat so delivered around £650 would I still buy a stainless manifold and save the 200 quid today .. Yes worth the additional 200 quid also don't have to take off the engine mount for fitting

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Who's manufacturing SS manifolds?

I have one, but it was part of a limited run manufactured here in the States. Several other people have made there own or comissioned small runs, but I didn't know they were available off the shelf.

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Hello Lucas, I had my name on one of the ones that Al had made but when the 1st batch did not fit I got one made in the uk I know they have now supplied at least one other to an s4s . Dr Hess (the chap in the states who made the original stainless one) sent me over details that were very helpful when mine was made

It's Oogies turn to boogie

I'm pretty sure I can source one of "Al's" (it's a nice piece) if someone is interested!

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

Don't know about turbo cars, but I purchased and installed a Dave Bean stainless 4-2-1 header into exhaust system on my S2 and love it. (still wonderful 20 plus years later.) Sadly it went out of production shortly after I bought it. As mentioned, getting off the old cast iron lump was a bit of a challenge with poor access to the nuts and some came out with the studs and one I had to cut off with a torch. Besides the much lighter weight and better breathing , the future access to the mounting hardware is much better. Once again, that's for an S2 and YMMV.

Gordon, the 3 choices are OEM, SWLC or Stainless Steel. If I were replacing mine, I'd go down the SWLC route. If you want that one, let me know and I'll see if I can get you a deal :)

Bibs

Thanks mate..... see PM i sent you

Cheers

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

The stainless headers can be prone to cracking due to the heat. A steel header is better. I have had a couple made for cars I have had. One, which had an exposed header I had chrome plated but one could get one of those ceramic coatings done in the colour of your choice. I had the Supercharged Lancia I have a header made 4 into 1 in steel with the rest in stainless. The header cost $NZ200 (~100 euro) I did supply the plate for the head and made up a jig.

My lotus obviously had a cracked manifold at some stage as it came with a steel fabricated header. I have picked up a cast manifold locally since and I have in storage somewhere.

Look at steel headers as it is easier to work with and less prone to cracking. Corrosion is not a problem as it is hot enough to keep dry. Fit a stainless muffler if you like,

LOT,

Thanks for the info, i need to get my manifold off and i was going to fabricate a stainless one - as you say, steel is much easier - never thought about the potential for cracking and its not really in a place where you would want to polish it !

Hi chaps

This is the stainless steel header I had made, think I paid around £500, its been on my car now for 9 months may be more. No issues whatsoever. it has stood up well although I have to say that the car never gets driven in the wet.

Remember that the sound changes to more of an italian note, but still a great noise. I had to make some alterations to the engine mount as the guy who made it cocked it up.

However it was worth it.

sadley no bibs, the guy who made it was a complete arse hole, we were supposed to set up tests between us and do a rolling road check before the old one came off and the new one on. This did not happen as a) the engine fell apart and b) the xxxxxxx xxxx done a dirty on me.

Anyway, my new brakes according to Pete at PNM will be with me, well I hope in the next 2 or 3 weeks, once they are fitted it will be off to the rolling road.

We have had this conversation before Bibs -I have made the following changes: a) Stainless straight (almost) through exhaust b) de catted, c) re chipped to level 4 (i think) must check with Chris. d) green airfilter, electric charge cooler pump. SO logic says that the original car should have been around 260BHP, the odd bits as detailed should amount to some 30BHP, the manifold well that approx the difference between them. I would expect that the BHP should be around 310 bhp, would be pleased with more. We will see in the next month or so. There are some guys on hte forum that would also like to test their car (Felix) so I will be arranging something.

As you are rightly alooding too with your question there are no progressive performance figures but then I am not Lotus with all their expertise and equipment. If it lasts more than 2 years and gives me 300 plus BHP then I will be happy.

Take care all.

Dave