Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Cambelt Tension - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Cambelt Tension

Hi All, changed my cam belt and bearing recently and set tension to 55 on my Krikit1 gauge, I previously owned an excel which before changing the belt on it checked using Krikit1 result 55, .so,changed belt and set to 55, when I purchased the Esprit SE before removing old belt checked tension 55 on krikit1 gauge, replaced belt and set to 55, so i was a happy bunny, but last weekend checked again and now I have 45 so a bit low, anyway after reading about the Clavis gauge, I have borrowed an Optibelt TT mini, which is very similar to the Clavis gauge. Using Optibelt at 30 degrees BTDC 95Hz, and at TDC 65 Hz, a big difference so the 30 degrees BTDC position is very important

I am as always lying on my back, can you adjust tension without taking of crank pulley again or maybe just removing the belts, any thoughts before I adjust again to 110 Hz and hopefully 55 on the krikit

• Gold FFM

With the right 19mm spanner and a 17mm socket (or spanner actually), you can easily adjust tension without removing pulley or any belts.  It just takes a bit of blind manual dexterity!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Hi Gary, Ok will now have to give it a go, think I will raise the car up I bit more though (axle stands of course) as currently not much wriggle room, where do I purchase the blind manual dexterity? as I sounds very useful.

Cheers Steve

Checked again using my Krikit result 45, so need to tighten, set to TDC, then using a 3/8 drive ratchet and a long series 17mm socket plus a 19mm open ended spanner on the tensioner, managed to undo 17mm locknut, tighten a small amount anti clockwise, then torque 17mm locknut to 40 NM, moved to 30degrees BTDC, Krikit 50/55 then checked using Optibelt TT Mini 104/105Hz,m tried using a screwdriver to tap belt but found I got same result using my finger to twang the belt, rotated crank pulley 720 degrees and checked again 100/102 Hz, repeated 104/105, 105/106, 105/106, happy days, I am at last satisfied that the belt tension is correct, and will have a good nights sleep tonight, thanks for all the help

Cheers Steve