Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
412 BHP...THAT WILL DO NICELY...... - Page 12 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

412 BHP...THAT WILL DO NICELY......

CHANGES

• 2 weeks later...

but still seems a lot of work when you can get a zetec ford engine these days running 500 plus brake horse without all these tricks...and I can get 350 bhp out of 1.7litres of ford engine without much bother...

Well... ANYONE can do that!

The thrill in in trail blazing!

My favourite proverb is "the distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."

Insanity is difficulty  with reality, or non acceptance of the status-quo.

The term 'difficulty with reality' is generalized. Many, many definitions. The one I like is to say that they have trouble with reality.

Creativity are the misfits of society. Misfits is that which is not acceptable to society. In other words, that which is not accepted by society, is creative.

Genius is innovation of value. Genius is something new of value. Value is just a generalization. It does not state that it is good, or that it is bad, whether or not it is right or wrong, positive or negative. All it is, is saying that if you come up with something new, then society will give it value.

Bottom line: there are a couple of us in the Lotus Community who enjoy "poking the yoke"!

Just for for a fistful of fun.

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• Gold FFM

Join the bloody queue.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

OOOPS...  How did that happen,!!  I must have left the traction control switched off...

Thinking back, it would have been a good time to have tested the new TC. system,  but not as much fun...

Still it was a good test run to Brooklands and back, 300 mile round trip + a few gentle laps of the track.

A nice way to bed the new donkey in... 

• Gold FFM

Your very naughty...... And the track womble probably whined at you......

We very much enjoyed the blasting..... I have some flame shots as well.

There was a lovely orange supercharged - exige I think ( sorry if I got that wrong ) that sounded awesome as well

Only here once

Best Esprit drive I have ever seen and the flames were awesome. I was watching from the AMG open viewing platform at the top of the building and the AMG guys watching were pretty impressed as well. But, did I spot a defective brake light!

Your very naughty...... And the track womble probably whined at you......

We very much enjoyed the blasting..... I have some flame shots as well.

Yep got a telling off from track official ..  (memories of my circuit days)

I never get to see the talked about flames, for obvious reasons.  so would be interested in 

seeing any shots you have Barry, please..

Development details part 3

The cold air intake (CAI) was and area I had previously worked on. I initially adopted

the ram air system used by Dermot O’Hare, with great success. However after the

thread on ribbed CAI hoses by MrD, it started me thinking. Although people shunned

the post, details made sense to me. The post turbo flow had been smoothed and

ported with great results, so why not the pre turbo. The thought behind this being the

smoother the air reaching the compressor the more efficient it can perform producing

less heat so better VE.

On close examination of the system I had adopted, not only was I shocked at the flow

losses from the ribbed hoses but the restrictions from all the bends was huge. As a

result I came up with a new high flow option which illuminated virtually all the losses.

post-10519-0-58706700-1431810780.jpg

The first part was the intake aperture and pipe. I retained the 4” opening with large

grill but attached to a 4” ID 45’ bend silicon hose (stock Item) . This was now directed

back to the position of the original hole within the rear arch. This hole was enlarged

to the OD of 4” 90’ bend made from smooth bore high density plastic as in domestic

waste pipe.  This bend would now exit the inner vertical face of the rear arch which is

directly in line with the compressor inlet

post-10519-0-36488000-1431810845.jpg

The same high flow viper evolution filter was used again but this time far easier and

less intrusive to fit..  Alloy pipes with silicone hose connectors were used to complete

the system.

post-10519-0-60538300-1431810918.jpg

post-10519-0-59818500-1431810967.jpg

The net result was two smooth bends, instead of several ribbed and some quite acute

bends. Made from stock available items with no more than a bit of cutting and glass

fibre work.. A small mod was also needed to the vertical face on the boot floor. Total

time for conversion circa 12 hours.

I retained the same turbo spec as all the data gathered during previous testing showed

its performance was exactly what I needed.. On the charge cooler I made a small mod

to the inlet side, increasing the size slightly too perfectly match the compressor outlet.

I also smoothed out the original design for flow reasons..

post-10519-0-99422200-1431811010.jpg

post-10519-0-36117600-1431811046.jpg

The next area was the plenum nose, this had been ported previous but still could be

improved, quite a bit of material including the hump over the 2nd injectors was removed

providing much better flow data. This was again done in part with the plenum back

plate which had considerable modifications..

post-10519-0-44689200-1431811089.jpg

Above previous form close to standard, below new reformed unit

post-10519-0-33632200-1431811136.jpg

The back plate inlet and lip were greatly increased directing a wider flow on entry to

the chamber. The lip was extended to push the flow in front of the new intake stacks

which were 12 mm longer and designed to improve the flow dynamics around the

throttle body on each port as well as lengthening each tract.

post-10519-0-13630400-1431811179.jpg

All this porting required the 1” spacer plate to be internally reshaped as it now becomes

part of the flow channel, no longer just a volume spacer. The plenum cover opposite

the nose intake has a vertical face which buffers the air flow. I cannot understand why

I had not addressed this area before.  As a result I machined out the face and welded

in a new form. I did this in a way that used the original cover and kept the same outward

appearance.

post-10519-0-05592500-1431811232.jpg

post-10519-0-76125800-1431811272.jpg

post-10519-0-50177300-1431811309.jpg

The flow improvements this all provided were massive, allowing greater volume with 

increased velocity down to the head.  This new flow data allowed the porting of the

inlets to be improved reducing the laminar layers further increasing VE. Also general

head porting was slightly modified to try and reduce counter swirl on inlets.

post-10519-0-48354000-1431811351.jpg

post-10519-0-56468100-1431811380.jpg

Valve shape and sizes were retained along with the Alunox manifold.  All the new 

flow dynamics, volume , velocity etc  opened the door for the new combustion format,

allowing the new lower compression ratio without generating lag… detailed previous

In part 1..

The published results are circa +40  BHP and torque , with a lower boost level and

final compression ratio than before.  (Food for thought

IMHO, the next step would be a revised plenum, similar to Loren's on his "Aero Lotus"

See more ideas at

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/what-did-you-do-your-esprit-today-284793/

and

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/how-loose-600-lbs-270466/

post-11050-0-96923500-1432144847.jpg

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

I have no doubt that plenum design and flow has a major effect on performance.

But, and I stress But  , only as part of a package, I have no data to say as an individual 

modification will have benefits without draw backs. Both the design shown in Mr D's post

and my version have no facilities for secondary injectors. Also the flow parameters within

this type of design may not be suitable if installed.

When I make Changes to my engines, I always first look to what i call the fuse, or the

weakest link if you prefer . Changes to any area can not be fully appreciated when

restricted by an inferior section or negative influencing factor.  This tends to be a catch

22 situation until you arrive at saturation or impasse.

At present the plenum design changes I have made, moved it away from being a restrictor.

That is now reserved for the clutch which is preventing full power engagement and air flow

testing of said area..I doubt it will feel needing as the power level now is getting extreme.

What would be more appropriate is testing of similar systems on standard engines to gather

useful data..

So far I have managed to keep the externally appearance much the same.

post-10519-0-59135100-1432281613.jpg

The plenum design is certainly an area of great interest and potential.

I think it's a shame that the compressed air first has to do a 90, then a complete 180 before it gets to the throttle bodies. We used say "Three nineties equals a blank flange" when referring to fluid pipework, and it makes me wonder if there are any gains to be had there? But it would involve a lot of changes which may not be possible, or indeed feasible.

Nice pics of the car, love the wheelarches.

Margate Exotics.

I think it's a shame that the compressed air first has to do a 90, then a complete 180 before it gets to the throttle bodies. We used say "Three nineties equals a blank flange" when referring to fluid pipework, and it makes me wonder if there are any gains to be had there? But it would involve a lot of changes which may not be possible, or indeed feasible.

This along with all the other air flow geometry was and is the greatest choke on the 910's performance.. 

I still find it strange that owners looking for power first modify the Turbo and boost.  This will only exacerbate

the problem of flow with little gain plus the negative impact of higher boost with standard fueling setup.

I think it has now been proved that contrary to published opinion that gas flowing a turbo engine has benefits..

Admittedly this is not something to be undertaken without some experience, but there is enough basic info and

illustrations within this thread to give an understanding of what can be achieved and undertaken.

This second stage of flow management development was a result of knowledge gained from previous undertakings

along with data gathered and received.  The results are very encouraging and show that even though the intake tract

twist and turns so aggressively , it is still possible to extract sufficient flow quality to remove the restrictive elements.

I still think the most impressive result out of all the data so far is the 410 BHP at just over 1 bar boost.. This is the

closest comparative to standard boost pressure showing in excess of 100 bhp gain from mainly flow management.. 

So, without the usual route of increasing the revs, and boost (combustion chamber pressure), is it safe to assume that the gains you've achieved are because the improved airflow through the system means the engine is breathing more efficiently, and thus 'working' less hard to make the power?

Margate Exotics.

Yes . that is exactly the case.. 

In fact the 410 bhp at just over 1 bar boost on my engine is possible very close to the

std final boosted C/R. This is because i am running static C/R of 7.5:1 instead of 8.0:1

but you also mean head flow smoothing, so blue printing the head would assist power...the std engine I understand wont take much more than 350BHP without some physical mods...seems odd to me that but can only listen to what I am told by the likes of PUK...I am certainly going to install their 350 bhp chip stage 6 ready for a complete engine rebuild and tune up...maybe?  all depending upon whether I can get the chassis and the brakes up to scratch..

with the engine mods how have you found the other items, brakes and handling...

Always an interesting read.

Very nice Pictures.

I think there is a market for those Wheel arch extensions, if you want. I could cetainly do witha set.

How do they attatch?

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Dave,

It has to be said you have an awesome "bit of kit", the work you have undertaken and the proper understanding of how things work, rather than just bolting bits on is a real credit to you.

Your car is the best looking Esprit I have ever seen, the fit and finish is far beyond factory finish. And the performance is something most of us dream of. A true inspiration for all of us Esprit heads.

Chris

• Like 2

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

but you also mean head flow smoothing, so blue printing the head would assist power...the std engine I understand wont take much more than 350BHP without some physical mods...seems odd to me that but can only listen to what I am told by the likes of PUK...I am certainly going to install their 350 bhp chip stage 6 ready for a complete engine rebuild and tune up...maybe?  all depending upon whether I can get the chassis and the brakes up to scratch..

with the engine mods how have you found the other items, brakes and handling...

I Have PUK chip 6 fitted and gives great power but only useable in short bursts as the higher boost gets the air too hot and the boost then drops away, and thats with lots of mods to charge cooler and intake. The only way to cure it is to go bigger on the turbo, which is why I am now running the same hybrid as Dave. I can now run 1.0 bar boost rather than the 1.2 that chip 6 gives and still get more power whilst maintaining a steady charge temperature....it`s going on the dyno soon and I`ll let you know the results!