Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Canon vs Nikon - Photography Matters - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Canon vs Nikon

Bibs

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a canon EOS and I love it but my father has a Nikon SLR which is much much lighter.

As far as I'm aware though, Nikon dont make printers and its nice to link like with like.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Ive always had Canon cameras,my first was a AV1 then A1 and now the EOS 550d,I,ve never really looked at any other makes just because the two previous cameras have never let me down.

Well there was one time at Mildenhall airshow when I was shooting the flying, I had the AV1 with 400mm lens and power winder, a 36 roll of film , I kept looking at my frame counter,it was on 36,37,38 I thought wow this roll of film is doing well,39,40 still it had not rewound,41,42,43 by this time i was started to think something is wrong so i stop shooting got under my jacket opened the back to find,Yep you guess it NO F******g film I had somehow forgot to put the film in, all those planes missed including my fav F104 :censored: the wife at this point was absolutely rolling around in fits of laughter,I WAS NOT , and belive it or not she still takes great pleasure in telling everyone about it if the topic of photography comes up :shuriken:

1. Canon is cheaper.

2. Canon gives the bokeh-whores ƒ1.2.

3. Canon used to have better lens selection.

4. Canon gives steep discounts to major equipment buyers (sports, etc.)

5. Canon has a more comfortable shutter-release button.

6. Canon has a cool shutter-release sound.

7. Nikon owns everything else.

- Andrew

There are a number of really good makes, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta, and more, I suspect software in our digital age is, or should be, a major influence. I went Nikon for a couple of reasons, the menu system and the display, for some one without 20/20 vision it's important, to someone with perfect eyesight, not so. I found the menus logical and easy to follow, with good short cuts for frequent stuff, and I didn't need to change my glasses to see it. Warranty is pretty much the same across the board, but I was also swayed by the "ruggedness" reputation of Nikon.

I'm pleased with my choice but if some one claims Canon is better, fine, it's all about taking photographs.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I have a pentax too Alex :), not part of the crowd, but i liked the colours of the images it produced and it met my price / performance point. Its a K200d and put my sisters canon to shame, but to be fair her camera was a few years old then she has since bought a new one after seeing the pics from mine.

I'll now probably buy pentax in the future, a) because i really like the camera, b) because the smarmy git in the shop practically refused to sell it to me, stating that 'canon and nikon are better', he quoted the fact that a) other people bought them, b) as a result there was more s/h lens choice etc. I had done my research and pointed out two points; a) this was my first dslr it was more to get a decent camera for family pics as i now have nieces and nephews and i pointed out if i really got into photography, i could buy another camera b) I pointed out that any pentax K mount lens will fit my camera, so plenty of s/h choice. He had no answer and to really **** me off said 'are you sure you don't want a canon?'

imho its a bit like tv's the colours / images produced are subjective not objective, so have a play and buy the one that creates pictures you like.

I read in the trade Canon plan to be the only company that allows you to process the image all the way through on there equipment, i.e camera from compact to pro SLR, use there glass (lenses) and then print it in any format on there equipment from home through to large format images and dry labs using there media. I.e they are aiming to be the digital processing company.

Nikon are just Camera manufacturers

Pros tend to use either Canon or Nikon, due to them having already having lenses that fit one or the other make. i.e to start afresh requires this purchase as well. Some reackon you can tell what camera an image is taken on by looking at it but thats BS for general pictures, I look at hundreds of images a day you cannot tell what make they are taken on especially when put through Lightroom etc.

If you want big time pro go Haselblad.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I've never really found the difference to be that big of a deal, shoot what fits in your hands, and what you can afford. In the end it's the photographer that makes the shots anyway, not the camera.

I do feel that in today's digital age, it's just as important to become well-versed in Photoshop, as it is to know your way around the camera. No matter how thin you slice something, it always has two sides, and the second side of photography has always been processing.

- Andrew