Evora IPS Review - Autocar - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora IPS Review - Autocar

Bibs

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Elite 504 is from 1975, the Excel SA 1986 so they are correct in the timeline. I think you mis-read that to say that the Excel SA was the first auto box?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

An Evora S, IPS Roadster would be ace!

Justin - I told Graeme (For others - local dealer salesman) that back in Sept 08 when i ordered mine. We always joked that would be what I would trade in for. I also said it to the design team when on the factory tour and lunch with the design team in Jan 09. However I keep hearing the closest we will get will be a "NA, IPS, roadster" as the IPS cannot take the extra grunt of the S. Maybe that is also being looked at.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

• Gold FFM

Why does it HAVE to be a positive review?

It's a car. It's a new idea for Lotus of recent. If the box has a limitation that gets in the way of accelerating out of a corner by the way it downshifts, shouldn't a motoring journo say that? I believe it's the first review so let's wait for others and then see what gets said.

I do find it odd in a way though, that the problem he mentions would not have been 'found' by Lotus and corrected possibly? Maybe it was found, but there will always be a compromise when the computer has a set of instructions which can't 'see' the road ahead like a driver can and compensate for it.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Doesn't seem to add much to the experience, unless you happen to be American or live in the Middle East. Even the Autocar fan club seem a bit non-plused about it.

I drove the IPS on Lotus' track (south loop) and would have rather had a manual or the S ;)

The IPS was in Sport mode and Manual mode and wouldn't hold a gear... It kept shifting to 6th when I lifted before getting the signal to pass the other drivers on the track.

Even an Acura luxury sedan will hold the selected gear when in manual mode!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Ah yes but Lotus know that's not what you really wanted to do!

Imagine not changing gear for 30 seconds and then suddenly wanting to again. Your being rediculous Travis, no one drives like that!

It would drive me insane! Why not just make it a full time manual mode?

Chunky Lover

When I was looking at various cars pre Evora all I looked at were Sportronic/Tiptronic/Sportmatic/DSG/PDK/etc/etc - you get the drift. I wanted a car that my wife could enjoy driving briskly as an automatic, but I could enjoy in other ways. Porsche/Audi/AMG. (So why did I end up with a clunky manual hardtop SHMBO keeps asking - and never driving it :whistle: )

All of them when left in auto mode could be overidden for a gear change say approaching a roundabout but when left for more than about 20s/30s reverted automatically to auto selection for the driving speed at the time. Even the mighty Porsche in Manual mode would not hold a gear on the rev limiter after a relatively short period I remember. The AMG 7 speed system was horrible out on the Brooklands test track as it did not want to change down under hard braking and was very easily confused what it wanted to be in and really went in with a lurch sometimes. I wanted to like it and had 3 x 1 hour sessions over 6 months trying to love it! It was probably closest to what the IPS system is. (Audi system was simply the best by miles.) Now I know that isn't exactly the same as the IPS system in that it has no Manual mode at all but it is maybe filling a gap in the buyer profile somewhere as a stop gap until the double clutch comes along. Lets face it depending on your driving profile, types of roads driven and use of the car the IPS might be perfect for posing in and driving in town where you can relax driving it. I hate taking the Evora into our two 'big smokes' of Glasgow or Edinburgh as the left leg juggle becomes tiresome and I never commute. A few of us Evora owners up this way also suffer from sore right legs in traffic which must be something to do with driving position. The fact that it is is not available on the S for its inability to handle the torque I believe, means it is likely to now be the townie poser who would just buy an N/A while spirited drivers car will be wanting the S or a manual N/A. Horses for courses.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

I drove an IPS this week. They must have listened to the comments because Manual mode is now permanent in Sport mode (as of TCU software upgrade C, apparently).

Edited by me96jvb

• 1 year later...

I drove an IPS this week. They must have listened to the comments because Manual mode is now permanent in Sport mode (as of TCU software upgrade C, apparently).

Does anybody know what current / latest TCU version is?