Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
MY12 Evora - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

MY12 Evora

Bibs

I've asked specifically if this will be a facelifted car and have been told that it won't be but I've been invited to Hethel for a pre-Frankfurt briefing about the 150 or so improvements the MY12 car will have.

What are you expecting, what would you like to see?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Facelift, so that new evora looks like new Exige and current Elise - bit aggresive, bit mansory.

I think it probably also needs the option of a proper PDK gearbox (although I think that is two things that will not happen)

I think some of the other changes need to go under the radar - improvements to fit & finish, otherwise it makes the MY10/11 cars sound a bit shit

Build quality has to be the main focus. The car looks fine. I've done more miles between my house and Lotus than I have enjoying the car.

Better head unit is also a must. And all current owners should be upgraded FOC.

The leather in the seats isn't hard wearing enough.

Lotus also need to stop announcing all these new updates and facelifts. No wonder they arent selling well!

Although any news on a Roadster would be welcomed!

I am in the market for a '12 Evora and frankly have no problem with the current styling, though a small evolutionary transition to the newer concept vehicles would be OK.

Frankly, given the press is always whining about the interior and the gearchange I think those are priorities (though again, I am not unhappy with those)

I'd like to see a different color palette. The current one has too many in the grey scale - 2 silvers, titanium, 2 greys, 2 blacks, 2 whites. I think the Evora looks best in the classier colors and would like to see Nighfall Blue and Bordeaux Red brought in as options. It also looks great in the Metallic Green used on the Indy Cars. In addition, adding Magnolia back into the interior color options would be fantastic.

THe Carbon Fiber engine cover looks fantastic as well. It should be on the options list, though I have heard it is prohibitively expensive.

Finally, I generally don't have much use for the stuff in the tech package. I don't listen to music much, don't generall talk on the phone. I have portable GPS and smartphones can perform that function as well. It would be nice to be able to get a factory back up camera without having to pay thousands for the tech package.

Kyle Kaulback

what would you like to see?

- no facelift, exterior looks perfect to me

- improved fit and finish

- improved gearbox

- digital readout same as analogue

- beter scale for analogue Km/h speedometer

- dead pedal

- auto a/c

- lower co2

Build it properly so I don't need to go to the dealer every month with a different issue.

Make the dash LCD screen such that I can read it in sunlight

Fit a head unit worthy of a £50k car

Move the mirror switch so a person with regular jointed wrists can work it

Make the door arm rest more ergonomic

Proper HVAC which responds to the inputs

Fit longer sun visors which can actually do the job

Have the cars tested from a 'can the buyer live with this' perspective as well as an engineering perspective prior to sign-off

Make the battery box cover flush fitting with the boot firewall, so I can make use of the whole width of the boot

As time goes on I find i'm getting less forgiving of the above.

You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unwelcome season. 

As time goes on I find i'm getting less forgiving of the above.

Here here! I actually emailed Craig recently saying how fed up I'm getting. Didn't mind the first few initial niggles, but surely a £50k car should be better than this.

Like the rest of us up here, I can't thank Craig and the team enough for the help and support they've provided, but I am presently considering my options, which is a real shame, as they key components of it starting, stopping and steering are great.

You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unwelcome season. 

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the knob on the center console need some kind of grip on the finish.

Kyle Kaulback

Literally I am in full agreement with about every single item mentioned above in every post. (inc regards MMC)

I would probably put more emphasis on the gear box change quality which is a huge disappointment on a spotts car despite being told I have one of the best and have had upgrades made.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

Evora improvements? I'll give rather a different view to the comments above, and obviously one that reflects my single perspective on the car, my type of usage, and my ownership experience. (Build was June 2010; generation 3, I'm told, and now approaching 10,000 miles.)

For me, it is a SPORTS car. Mine does not have the useless rear seats (must weigh something with the belts etc), no weighty, expensive (and by all accounts rubbishy) extra electric bits, sound systems etc. No weighty extra leather trim (standard is pretty good anyway). It has the CR box of course (the standard one is unthinkable) and the Sports exhaust for more appropriate sound and weight saving.

Yes, reversing sensors and a rear camera are needed - so I fitted my own; some work, but cost very little and work well. (And I devised a way of mounting my excellent TomTom Live satnav, removably but solidly in the screen position - my post here refers.)

I drive almost entirely with the Sports setting after warm up, and use the rev range.

Various knob and switch location problems have been mentioned above - irrelevant trivia as far as I'm concerned. If you are driving you should know where things are by feel, as a pianist knows the keys, not be looking down from the road.

Gear change? Noting comments (by magazines rather than owners), perhaps I'm lucky, but mine is fine. Far better than the Launch Edition and the two S versions I've tried. (OK, not the best I've used, but ....) Of course I blend the revs on changes. Of course I heel and toe on down changes. (And yes, I use the power and the revs - all of them quite often!)

Build quality - fine. No rattles, no leaks, nothing has broken, everything fits well enough. (Yes, I have owned a Porsche and a modern BMW and Audi, and no, I'm not making direct comparisons.)

Yes, there have been some problems. They have been fixed promptly and effectively by my dealer on single visits. Early on, an electrical glitch needed a software upgrade. Then I needed the standard Aircon replacement and the windscreen washer filler tube had to be cleaned out. Oh yes, I used some WD40 after one of the door lock shafts seemed rather stiff. Fixed. (Now I'll keep my fingers crossed - fate might turn nasty!)

So, in summary, a marvellous sports car that has given me marvellous driving experiences and I have been happy to come to terms with it's minor idiosyncracies.

But yes, there is some room for improvement, even so.

Identify and specify an alternative tyre choice that gives longer life, albeit at some loss of ultimate performance. And, if possible review the rear suspension geometry/dampers/whatever to explore whether rear tyre wear could be reduced - retrofitable if practicable.

Develop the breathing/ECU settings to give a some more power on the Sport setting. (Presumably at some loss of economy, so the choice would exist.) The latest software upgrade shows what can be achieved. Retrofitable of course - else don't do it!

At the very minor level, improve the standard radio performance - it is not acceptable in weak signal areas.

And I don't actually object if the cosmetic points that concern some others are addressed, but reduce, not add, weight!

I appreciate that some other's suggestions may have been made with the aim of increasing the appeal of the Evora to potential buyers. I suppose they are unlikely to do harm (no extra weight though!) but in my view the USP that Lotus must absolutely focus on is to produce the best driving experience. Everything else is secondary.

Edited by mdavies

It seems I can't edit my post above, so have to add that re getting a little more power, Radium have shown how - for $399. See the new thread under Engine & Ancilliaries by Kris Myers. Come on Lotus.

Edited by mdavies

For me, it is a SPORTS car. Mine does not have the useless rear seats (must weigh something with the belts etc), no weighty, expensive (and by all accounts rubbishy) extra electric bits, sound systems etc. No weighty extra leather trim (standard is pretty good anyway). It has the CR box of course (the standard one is unthinkable) and the Sports exhaust for more appropriate sound and weight saving.

Weighty leather/Electrics? HA! Just eat less for breakfast if you are that concerned.

The Evora is a sports GT, built in Sat Nav/bluetooth is expected on these cars. Its as essential as the Sports Pack IMO

Finally, I generally don't have much use for the stuff in the tech package. I don't listen to music much, don't generall talk on the phone. I have portable GPS and smartphones can perform that function as well. It would be nice to be able to get a factory back up camera without having to pay thousands for the tech package.

Ditto. And ditto to most everything else mentioned, but particularly that.

Definitely a dead pedal. I also find the red on red display one of the worst I've ever seen, or I should say would like to see better, due to the poor contrast.

The main thing I'd like to know is exactly when the US dealer packs and pricing will be out.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Just sort the things that have stopped me from buying one... ie most of the above!

I'm hanging on in Lotus-Land by a thread trying to justify not changing marques but it's getting difficult, there's a lot of tempting cars out there. I really hope the new Exige something special though, it's probably not for me but Lotus need something to shout about right now.

Having an affair with another marque... B-)

I'd like to hear more details about the convertible.

I don't have many gripes with the car at the moment, and certainly no major ones. I would like to see tyre life improved, and perhaps a little more power to shut up the SELOC nobs.

The gear shift is OK for me, I appreciate it could be better on the limit though. I'm not particularly a fan of the revised shift on the S, so I think they're heading the wrong way there. The best shift I've experienced for driving feel was my VXT... the best quality shift I've had was my 987 Boxster S - that's where they need to start if they want to meet customers expectations.

Oh, and my gear knob has come loose and I don't know how to tighten it!

Other than that stuff, please pass on my congratulations for making the best car I've ever driven.

I'd like to hear more details about the convertible.

I don't have many gripes with the car at the moment, and certainly no major ones. I would like to see tyre life improved, and perhaps a little more power to shut up the SELOC nobs.

The gear shift is OK for me, I appreciate it could be better on the limit though. I'm not particularly a fan of the revised shift on the S, so I think they're heading the wrong way there. The best shift I've experienced for driving feel was my VXT... the best quality shift I've had was my 987 Boxster S - that's where they need to start if they want to meet customers expectations.

Oh, and my gear knob has come loose and I don't know how to tighten it!

Other than that stuff, please pass on my congratulations for making the best car I've ever driven.

Minor cosmetic changes, gearbox overhaul and cabin improvement are all that is needed, so provided Dany B. and crew listened to their owners, the media and forumers... It should be a pretty good car! The Lotus Evora GTE Road Car that will be presented at Peeble Beach is said to have an AMT (Automated Manual Transmission) racing gearbox I'm wondering if that gearbox is the one Lotus Engineering has been working on!?

I can't think of much that I would want to change. The original is so good.

The only thing I couIdn't live without, I had fitted : the dealer made a dead pedal and had it installed, based on the one fitted to Launch Editions. I also wanted cruise control, without the Tech Pack, and I had that fitted by the dealer too.

I couldn't care less about electronic gizmos such as satnav. If I need it I have it on my smartphone, and one of my other cars. Auto climate control would be a comfort but not a must. It doesn't need a digital display, just an auto temperature and fan function integrated into the current system. And yes a digital speedo that mirrors the analogue one.

Height-adjustable seats would be a plus for my wife (manual - we don't need electric motors and mechanisms adding weight).

Heated seats and a boot release - Lotus already ticked those boxes on the 2011 models.

Keep the fit and finish as it is on my car: I have had no gripes so far and lots of admiring comments from Audi and Mercedes owners. Yes. (mine has the luxury pack with full leather).

But frankly, if these 'improvements' mean a lot of extra weight, then just keep the Evora as it is. It is, in my opinion, near-perfect.

Edited by Anthony27

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Maybe not a specific 2012 question, but I wanted to share this and get your thoughts on it.

As I explained in this thread my dad ordered an Evora IPS for delivery in December.

Now the dealer told us that his car will be a 2012 model, but also that it will be 4000 euros more expensive. But we have signed an order for a specific price of course... Can they make this?

Anybody knows the price changes often with a model year update? And what then happens to the outstanding orders?

I'm no lawyer, but I would have thought if you have a contract of sale then they are obliged to stick to it.

That would depend if you have a signed contract of course (signed by you and the dealer), which I don't think I had when I ordered...

It would certainly be worth making a (polite) fuss to see if they will make a good will gesture. I'm surprised it's that much more expensive anyway!

I have had situations working for Honda, where similar issues have arisen. You need to check the small print in the terms and conditions, as sometimes it will exclude them from the contract if the Manufacturer omits to tell them something or if its the Manufacturers fault.

However Honda had always stood on those issues and admitted their mistakes, compensating the buyer.

Apart from that you have a written contract with the dealer. It should be honoured.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer