Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Ale - Page 6 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Ale

Bibs

• 10 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Popped into new 'old' Hydes pub  in Northern Quarter (Manchester) yesterday - The Thomas Abel.   Sells Hydes 'craft' ales, tbh very good.   Yeah - I tend to prefer summer ales to the old school 'bitters'.  

Edited by 910Esprit

Went to the Bristol beer festival last weekend.

New Bristol Brewery Super Deluxe Stout was astonishing. Big vanilla up front with long coffee middle and just a hint of caramel at the end. So good I just had to keep drinking it.

http://www.newbristolbrewery.co.uk/beers/4579590180

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Not much of a beer man but I do remember many years ago going to visit a works in Mansfield and the guy I was meeting having me out for a night on Spifire which I found very very nice but the headache in the morning with a 7 hour drive in front of me was the pits.

Anybody who likes a decent stout (porter) or porter, nip into Lidl, they had a special production for St.Patrick's day by Shepherd's Neame, 4% ABV, and were / are now selling it off at 99p per bottle.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

My dad used to brew all the time. I never have. Don't really like beer. Mind you, I've only tried Australian beers.

At the moment, I can't drink anything as the medication I am on mucks up with the alcohol and the end result is not nice. Very uncomfortable. :(

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

One of our local breweries in Thanet is Gadds. I had a few pints of their Mild Ale in The Lifeboat pub in Margate old town last week (you remember that one, Bibs?), absolutely gorgeous, wonderful flavour. Dunno why they call it that as it's not really the kind of thing I would term mild but what the hell, highly recommended.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

How should a pint of ale be served?

My pallet deems that a perfect pint should be 1/ totally clear. 2/ not cold 3/ nice head.

This has been pointed out to many bar tenders when they think that charging me £3.60 for a pint of lager-cold murky flat ale is totally acceptable!

• Like 1

To me, real ale should be served at cellar temperature, but not chilled, or warm, or you lose the flavour.

Lager is a different animal, and needs to be chilled so you can't taste how bad it is.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Coming to this thread late in the day it would seem.

I see a lot of love on here for Doombar.  As an alternative, try St Austell's Tribute.  Cellar temperature with a handle, if you please.

Other favourites, in no particular order:

Ringwood Best.  A proper "session" beer.  Hoppy, clean and refreshing.

Butcombe Bitter.  Another "session" beer.  Warning - can be awful if kept badly.

Butty Bach. More full bodied, slightly sweet.
Flowerpots IPA.  Hoppy, citrus and bloody marvelous.

If I have to drink lager, then Staropramen is the one I'd choose. My old man used to say "There's no bad beers, it's just some's better than others." I've followed his advice for years.

Margate Exotics.

• 2 months later...

seem to have spent the summer partaking of nautical beers......

generally Wherry or Nelson......with a Broadside chucked in for good measure

hic.... :cheers:

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Stayed in a hotel in Prague booked off the internet.   By serendipity it was literally attached to the Staroprarem brewery....  

Bought some 'Irish craft lager' from 'Home Bargains' the other day (my cheap random ale provider of choice).   It was really good - nothing at all like lager, but a light hoppy ale.    Will return to see if any left  

• 1 year later...

mmmm.......

It the kids christening August Bank Holiday.......I think you've just given me an idea.........

might have to may a trial batch before tho'

• Like 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

My dad and I used to have a leaky wooden yacht on the Norfolk Broads and one of our favourite haunts was the Woodforde's pub (Fur and Feather) at Woodbastwick. We'd have a game of having a pint of all their different beers, then seeing if we could still find our way back to the boat mooring at Salhouse.

• Like 2