Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S300 No. 25 Restoration resumed - Page 3 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S300 No. 25 Restoration resumed

What's the cost to have a whole chassis galvanized?

The cost will vary depending on who does the work. My experience with the industry would advise that you pay a little more

and have it done as an individual item and supervised through the process to prevent damage and distortion..

It is also worth considering that the chassis will require a geometrical check on a jig post dipping..

You will then need to re-machine some of the suspensions mounting points along with all the threaded fixing points..

All of this should be considered as part of the cost.

'Zinga' This is a product i have never used but heard good reports on, The people who did the galvanising for me use a similar two stage product in small areas on very limited applications . I asked their opinion on the use in situations that are being referred too in this thread, They said it is a good way to protect damaged or exposed Galv. but remember it is only a paint and is very limited compared to the galvanising process.

On the welding / reinforcement of the shifter access ... I agree with Travis comment on the welding application shown. It is a beautiful

piece of work but has masked the problem not fixed it... I feel that the fractures we find in this area are due to a flex in the chassis itself. By reinforcing this area you will move the problem elsewhere to the next weakest flex point. On the later model Esprits they put

two extra mounting points, attaching the body to the top backbone of the chassis, I notice that the sport 300 also has two more at the top rear of the back bone, but strangely not used. There are also other brackets on the S300 chassis that could be used to further attach the body to the chassis. By doing this the body would help stiffen the chassis and reduce flexing ( the cause of the fractures)

The 89SE does not have these mounts, it would be easy to fabricate and apply to your chassis /body without any welding.!!

'Oh also', Travis that chassis is far to clean :yes:

• Gold FFM

Don't know how I've missed this. What an awesome thread. Absolutely great work Dave. Same colour as my old V8. Looks stunning with the sun on it.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

The end of last week saw the chassis jig checked and the pivot mounts re-machined along with the threaded sections.

Most of the new and reconditioned components are ready for assembly , a few will be finished Monday

then I can begin....

post-10519-0-79711600-1329036979.jpg

post-10519-0-36013400-1329037069.jpg

With reference to previous posts

The font top mounting points on the later chassis can be seen here with the spacers required to

fill the void between it and the body.... on the second picture you can just make out the boss welded

into the corner web on the top of S300 for the same application. However they were not used on this

particular Esprit. By attaching the chassis at these points it will use the body as an additional brace and reduce flexing in the back bone .

In the foreground of the last pic is another additional mounting point on the front turret on S300 chassis

Travis...I will photo the engine bay top frame and post next week..

post-10519-0-88375100-1329038142.jpg

post-10519-0-46601900-1329038164.jpg

Edited by CHANGES

Wow Dave! That is so beautiful it's a shame it's going to be all covered up with a body. By the way, there is a bolt missing from the table! Lol!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Dave,

What's the thickness of the coverplate over the shifter hole? Also, any closer pictures of the rear triangulated over the engine chassis bracing? Thanks.

Artie

Sorry it took a while to get back to you on this, The cover plate is 2.5mm thick , and here is a few pic's of the bracing over the engine. Yes it is offset to the left....

post-10519-0-78429700-1329336756.jpg

post-10519-0-10999600-1329337032.jpg

post-10519-0-85177700-1329336797.jpg

Edited by CHANGES

Last few days has seen the fitting of the remaining pipework and other chassis ancillaries such as the selector assembly and power steering pipes. I also completed the full sub assembly of the suspension making sure no parts have gone astray. Once I was happy with the mock up I stripped the rear suspension and resembled in its final form.

post-10519-0-92995400-1329501478.jpg

post-10519-0-20150700-1329501444.jpg

post-10519-0-21120200-1329501639.jpg

post-10519-0-08024500-1329501661.jpg

Hi Travis ,

The front bells / rotor hats are fine , haven't got any snaps , but will be posting a few with the front build up next week...

Those in your pic's look well sick. And the disc looks like its ready to let go too.

I trashed a group 4 works rally car big style, when an AP disc on a similar set as this shattered.. Not recommended.!!!!!

This week has seen the front suspension, steering rack and all the associated parts fitted. I have set a basic geometry on tracking and camber to enable the Esprit to be test driven when finished before I take it to N'hampton motor sport for full accurate geo set up.

After one last spanner check all over I can now sign off on stage two , The chassis build.

The chassis is now parked back in the body but not attached, it will remain there until the engine and box are rebuilt.

If there are any points i have not mentioned and you require details on, please feel free to ask...

Next week will see the start of stage three. The engine rebuild,

post-10519-0-32367700-1330105034.jpg

post-10519-0-46398400-1330105068.jpg

post-10519-0-76396600-1330105106.jpg

post-10519-0-77489600-1330105445.jpg

post-10519-0-64002900-1330105157.jpg

Hi Travis ,

Great observation , When I first fitted them i did it as you have stated ,as i always assumed it was that way. But then noticed today that they were the other way round on the before photos of when i received the car,

so changed them back round to as they were.

Because these rotors are not original S300 but made by AP to fit , plus all the brakes were overhauled and fitted by Lotus Italy I assumed there was a reason so fitted as they did.

Fortunately due to conflicting thoughts I did make a note to check with the factory/AP on the orientation to confirm.

I should get an answer next week to see if there is any reason why they are reversed or just incorrect fitting from Italy......

Thanks for your input, will advise...

post-10519-0-55312700-1330112904.jpg

post-10519-0-44989800-1330112949.jpg

Good Spot I never new that, and have just read up on it, the vanes act as a pump to extract heat from the centre out. I had always assumed they were to channel air into cool it down. I better check mine!

Great work Dave, it's going to be a stunning car.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

The Elise actually has 2 of the same rotor on the front, so one is correct and one is backwards... from the factory.

It's not a huge difference, but every bit helps.

While I was prototyping my Brembo Race brakes, I also just grabbed any rotor, and bolted it to the plastic hat that I had mocked up. It was on the wrong way around in my photos.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I have had the info back from AP on these replacement discs/rotors.

It was as i initially fitted and Travis quite rightly pointed out, the direction as per his diagram. Not as previously fitted..!!!!!

There is no reason why they should be fitted the other way round as they were not designed that way.

If you look a bit more closely at the part number, later disc's/rotors have RH and LH stamped on them.

If your part number does not have that on, The numbers ending in even number are right hand and odd left hand.

There we go, no excuses to getting confused and putting them on wrong.....

The third stage has started with the stripping of the engine.

It seems to be in remarkably good condition with no area's of concern.

The usual parts will be sent out for reconditioning .ie. the turbo, alternator and all the others rebuilt in house.

The major components like the crank, rods, pistons ect. will be sent off for dynamic balancing along with the head for

flat face check and minimal machining if required. (depending on new head gasket size)

Now begins the slow detailed cleaning and checking of every single part to ensure they are all within specification, and if not

replaced with new.