Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Tyres - Current Thinking - Page 3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Tyres - Current Thinking

Well, I got the Vred's fitted over the weekend and I think they are fine. I am not really up to test pilot spec, but they feel fine to me and less harsh than those hard old Goodyears. The looks are important too, so heres the before

DSCF6974.jpg

Here's the after

DSCF7014.jpg

And here's the close up ..

DSCF7013.jpg

I think they are fine, but am sorely missing the white Goodyear lettering!

Rob.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Lotus dropped the white lettering at some point so in my point of view the noise and comfort is well worth the loss...

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

I have Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on my '87 and love them. I have aftermarket rims so my tire choices are far and wide compared to stock. These tires are more "tame" than a true z-rated tire but thats what I wanted. They ride great, are quiet and will last longer than a few driving seasons too. They have 85% of the grip of my old z-rated tires but are 100% better in every other area.

Rob those Vreds look fantastic! Car looks stunning! tis indeed a shame about the lettering. was it not an arse to keep tidy? Henry (skiing) has posted somewhere regarding solutions for the white lettering

Thank's Hopo, Your Copper Turbo's pretty tasty too!

I found it quite theraputic to do the White lettering (a bit sad I know!) and my Daughter liked to do it as well, so it was never a chore really, just as long as you are happy for it to not be perfect all the time...

I was wondering about a solution for the lettering, so I will try to find Henry's posting and see what's been tried.

Rob.

• 1 year later...

Looking at new front tyre options for my S3 - has anyone tried the Vredestein Sportrac 5? It's described as the successor to the Sportrac 3, again designed by Giugiaro.

Vredestein aside, any thoughts on Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres, or Dunlop Sport BluResponse?

Thanks, Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

After complaining about how pants my brakes were, it has been brought to my attention that my tires are possibly the root of why the car wont stop! they are knackered!

So I bit the bullet and have purchased some new ones.... Firestones all round. matching ones... hell can even get some white lettering on the tyre walls which I might try out. After all didn't Firestone sponsor/supply the Lotus F1 team during the Gold leaf era?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to fitting five new tyres whilst the car was in for its MOT - what a difference, I must have been driving on flat spotted 50p piece tyres!

Just the Elise to find new tyres for now - Jonathan

What make/size of tyres did you go for?

Had a look at cars at Duxford last weekend and like the look of the Vreds, have that make on my Lexus and are a superb tyre.

Edited by esprit22

Tyres replaced were Goodyear NCT Eagle 5's on the front (195 60 15) and Goodyear NCT Eagles on the rear (235 60 15) - and an original totally unused spare Goodyear Grand Prix S from 1985. still had the little bobbles of rubber on the unused tread!

Replacements were Vredestein Sportrac 5's for the spare and fronts (same sizes exactly as standard tyres), and some fantastic but pretty expensive Avon CR6ZZ 245 60 15's on the rear - they are road legal racing tyres produced for pre-1990 cars, fitted mostly to AC Cobras and Ford GT40's - they apparently wear out quite quickly and are fairly sticky but that suits me fine as I do low mileage and also love the period looks

Jonathan

Strewth....£330 each !!!! They must stick like the proverbial to a blanket......you'll be leaving black lines down the road, just driving along!!

Glad I didn't know about them when I was buying tyres......can you get them to fit the front, too??

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Yes not the cheapest!

They don't come in sizes that fit the fronts - they do 175 70 15 H rated, and 185 70 15 V rated but neither are within the suitable %age tolerance

I'll try and take some photos over the weekend if it ever stops raining

Vredestein tyres do look the part and appear to be good value for money. Should I avoid 205 60 15 for the front and stick with 195 60 15 as I will be purchasing sooner rather than later due to the NCTs now being 14 years old !!!!!! but they still look new (Doh!). Any suggestion to confirm would be great.

I do have Dunlops on the rear (225s) and I must admit they are good, but will most likely replace all as Vred......n

Cheers Drew.

Any other suggestions would also be great....... if anybody has tried anything since.

Yes not the cheapest!

They don't come in sizes that fit the fronts - they do 175 70 15 H rated, and 185 70 15 V rated but neither are within the suitable %age tolerance

I'll try and take some photos over the weekend if it ever stops raining

Hey John, it's stopped raining now so where are the photos? :turned:

• 3 weeks later...

made for 4x4 vehicles which are much heavier than an esprit

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

You can get Pirelli P600 in the correct size for the rear  235/60 R15 98W.

They are of the correct period and tread looks good. Rear tyre is the tread most seen as you pass everyone :-)  and because of the higher sill under the boot. 

This place has a deal on them at the moment:  https://secure.tyreleader.co.uk/?t=tyre&i=6383&q=2

For the front they don't do P600 in the correct size, so best go with P6. Its a more modern tread pattern. From the side it looks OK and matches with the P600 rears, and you don't really see the tread because of the low side skirts and front spoiler. Plus they are cheap as chips compared with the P600s.

At least it is another option and gives you W speed rating.

Cheers,

Malcolm

You can get Pirelli P600 in the correct size for the rear  235/60 R15 98W.

They are of the correct period and tread looks good. Rear tyre is the tread most seen as you pass everyone :-)  and because of the higher sill under the boot. 

This place has a deal on them at the moment:  https://secure.tyreleader.co.uk/?t=tyre&i=6383&q=2

For the front they don't do P600 in the correct size, so best go with P6. Its a more modern tread pattern. From the side it looks OK and matches with the P600 rears, and you don't really see the tread because of the low side skirts and front spoiler. Plus they are cheap as chips compared with the P600s.

At least it is another option and gives you W speed rating.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Have been giving the speed rating a bit of thought and to be honest I dont see the point! Okay, if the car is driven on a track at a high constant speed but lets face it, on the road maybe a quick blip from 90 to 120ish for seconds and back down below 100. 

If a tyre is say an S rated (112mph) and one does 125 for a matter of seconds, the tyre will not explode of fall into little pieces! 

The insurance company have not got a problem with lower speed tyres being fitted as the legal road limit is 70mph, albeit a note would be made on the policy regarding. What you reckon?