Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How do you look after your car through winter? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

How do you look after your car through winter?

CharlieCroker

What tactics do you use to get your car through the winter? In general if my S2 is laid up in the garage due to shitty weather I normally spray the engine with wd40, disconnect the battery, put a dehumidifier in the cabin, and keep it under a car cover. So what else can you do to protect the car?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disconnect the battery, pump the tyres up and sometimes start it up till the fans come on.

and it lives outdoors

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Yes, drive it every nice dry day then put it back in the garage at about 55% RH keeps everything working nicely after all we all bought our cars for the driving thrill.

Although I have a large double garage its full of crap (who's isn't) so there is only room for one car so I recently bought an outdoor Carcoon and its brilliant I've bought a cheap small de-humidifier and it keeps whatever car is stored in it in perfect condition as it has a good battery conditioner built into it and in the recent high winds gave no problems at all well worth the money.

Edited by B1 RMA

Obviously I drive mine as much as I can, but the thread was referring to times when you simply cannot due to really crap weather or when you have to leave the car standing. So what benefit does over inflating the tyres have?

I think if you SORN it over winter or a long period the tyres tend to get flat spots, I know when I over-wintered my Excel it used to sound and feel horrible for the first few days because the tyres had just sat in one place. I did go through all the frig one year of raising it up and that worked. So I think it may depend on how long you intend to keep it stored and perhaps over-inflating the tyres helps prevent this.

Edited by B1 RMA

• Gold FFM

Drive it.

Same as in summer, autumn and spring. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Fill the tanks + add fuel stabilizer

pump the tires up

disconnect the battery

I start it when I'm home, which is about once a month, and get it up to temp and let the fans cycle once. Go through all the electrics - windows,signals, lights etc... whilst the engine is running. I'll drive the car back and forth about 6 feet or so. If it's too cold outside to open the garage doors I'll just roll it. I mark the position of the wheels so I don't return the wheels to the same spot.

If is clear and dry outside I'll take her for a drive. But there must be absolutley no salt or chemical residue on the roads.

While I'm away the car stays in a heated and dehumidified garage.

Well, as with most of us a pre putting away wash and polish. Then make a list of all the little jobs that need doing and tackle them while its on sorn. Why waste good driving days in the year working on her when thats what winter is for? Assuming the car is garaged of course...battery conditioner on, regular starts and running up to temp of course when you can. Then when the good weather comes round, shell be tip top, fully serviced for the years use job done.

I prefer to drive mine during winter, in fact the Esprit gets more use in winter than in it does in summer. But of course winter here is like summer in England so I don't have the problems with snow, ice, salt and mud that some of you guys have to cope with. I have 'fond' memories of pissing on the drivers door lock to get it open during a big freeze, and putting a hot water bottle on the dash to keep the windscreen clear. Sadly that's all in the past. cool.png

Too many Toys are never enough !

• Gold FFM

Drive it in the winter every weekend - but do a big Spring clean -wheels off, suspension / underside cleaned / repaint suspension etc... so no salt is left on it - and it does like cold dense air - tends to drive well and less worries about getting hot and bothered in London traffic... I try to keep it clean as well of course...